Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past weekend Jersey saw a lot of warm air, therefore, dense fog after all the cold we had the previous week. I got to thinking that it might be a good idea to have some red rear fog lights the way many European cars do. For those who are unfamiliar, many European cars have red fog lights in the back that shine with approximately the same intensity as the lights when you step on the brakes. In the US you may see these on Audis, Mercedes, Volvos, and the like. I can say from first-hand experience, that it is much easier to see the car ahead of you in dense fog if it has these lights.

So, has anyone thought about these or looked into them? I was thinking they could go on either side of the license plate. I saw some inexpensive round LED lights on eBay, but I don't know how big they are.

Ideas...? Thoughts...? Comments...?

·
Registered
2,194 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
I am a big fan of rear fog lights (I am originally from Scotland and we get plenty of Fog there!). However, the problem here in the US is, that people here drive with their front fog lights on a lot of the time as 'driving' lights.

They pull/twist/push (delete as applicable) the foglight switch to turn them on and then leave them like that for the life of the vehicle.

Then they step into their new Audi or BMW with rear foglights, and twist the fog lights to 'on'. Well the Audi and BMW have 2 steps to the foglight 'on', the second step turns on the rear foglights. Well these people who haven't had rear foglights before, set the switch to position 2, and have their rear foglights on all the time.

There is an Audi A6 that drives around here all the time with his rear fogs on and it annoys the [email protected] outta me! :) This isn't an issue in the UK, as it it illegal to drive around with your front driving/fog lights on if there is no fog. And I should know, I got ticketed for it! 'Excessive use of lighting' was what I was written up for. At the time all I could think of was 'hmmm, getting written up and fined by the police, for being TOO VISIBLE on the road...!!!'. But the law is the law!

However, to answer the OPs question, it would be cool to have them on the US spec XK, as I think they are a valuable safety feature.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I have super bright LED tail lights, kinda does the same thing, and I actually mounted reflectors on the bumper right where the Euro versions have the foglights. I like how they look.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am a big fan of rear fog lights (I am originally from Scotland and we get plenty of Fog there!). However, the problem here in the US is, that people here drive with their front fog lights on a lot of the time as 'driving' lights.

They pull/twist/push (delete as applicable) the foglight switch to turn them on and then leave them like that for the life of the vehicle.

Then they step into their new Audi or BMW with rear foglights, and twist the fog lights to 'on'. Well the Audi and BMW have 2 steps to the foglight 'on', the second step turns on the rear foglights. Well these people who haven't had rear foglights before, set the switch to position 2, and have their rear foglights on all the time.

There is an Audi A6 that drives around here all the time with his rear fogs on and it annoys the [email protected] outta me! :) This isn't an issue in the UK, as it it illegal to drive around with your front driving/fog lights on if there is no fog. And I should know, I got ticketed for it! 'Excessive use of lighting' was what I was written up for. At the time all I could think of was 'hmmm, getting written up and fined by the police, for being TOO VISIBLE on the road...!!!'. But the law is the law!

However, to answer the OPs question, it would be cool to have them on the US spec XK, as I think they are a valuable safety feature.
Yeah, I see those people with the rear lights on all the time, too.

I'm not entirely surprised to hear you were fined for having those lights on. I understand that in Germany they are even stricter concerning the use of lights, especially hazards.

I think it would be great if the US XK had them built in as in the XH. However, in my original post I was contemplating adding on some extra lights and wondering if anyone else has done it or has looked into it.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have super bright LED tail lights, kinda does the same thing, and I actually mounted reflectors on the bumper right where the Euro versions have the foglights. I like how they look.
Those bright LEDs might be great while you're on the brakes, but the point behind the red fog lights in the back are so that you are more visible in poor weather conditions to other drivers, even when you are not braking.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
This is how the rear fog lights look in my XH (international model)
I really like the signal markers on the fenders. I may have to look into doing that as well.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I really like the signal markers on the fenders. I may have to look into doing that as well.
This should be very easy and not expensive too, go for it :)

·
Registered
527 Posts
Those bright LEDs might be great while you're on the brakes, but the point behind the red fog lights in the back are so that you are more visible in poor weather conditions to other drivers, even when you are not braking.
ummmm. Yes, I know...... :eek:rangehat: The TAIL lights are LED's and 2x as bright as the normal bulb and are on when you turn your lights on, thus doing the same thing effectively as the rear fog lights. Brake lights are LED's as well, and aer also at least 2X as bright as normal.

·
Registered
67 Posts
The turn signal repeaters on the fender are a legal requirement for European cars. Lots of manufacturers are putting in the door mirrors now.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
In my next couple days off I have some research to do crawling in, under, and around the XK for projects. I have the dimensions of the lights and I am going to check the clearance and mounting locations. Ahmed, can you please post me a close up picture of the rear bumper to get an idea of the location of the lights and also a picture of the fenders for the signal light location. Thanks

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
I have thought about installing the same boat trailer lamps on the back of my XK. At first, I thought that it would be easier just to replace my back bumper with the international version bumper, and then install the factory rear fog lamps. My rear sensors work intermittantly and I backed into a pole at a gas station, the one that protects the pump. Not high enough to see in the mirror or through the back window! Sensors never sounded off! Dealer won't fix it under warranty. I cracked the left rear corner, and body shop tells me they can't fix it correctly. Ahmed was kind enough to get me the part number for the international bumper, but my dealer can not order it! Go figure. I called a Jeep dealer in Windsor, Canada, and they can't even order it! So, I am back to the boat trailer lamps. If your XK is equipped with a factory hitch, there is a round plug to the left of the hitch receiver to plug in your trailer lights. Also, for some unknown reason, there is a flat 4-wire plug wired into the Jeep's harness, wrapped around up under the rear bumper. So, I figured that since these trailer lights are for both tail and stop/turn signals, it would be very easy to wire them into this 4-wire flat plug. There is room between the two outside sensors. I assume that these lights, being flush mounting, would come with a template. It would be very easy to cut an oval hole to accept them. I just can't decide if I want to do this. They sell these lights at Gander Mountain and they are also in the Overton's catalogs and the Boat US/West Marine catalogs. When I order the new back bumper, it will need to be painted. If I decide to do this, I will cut the holes first. I also plan on getting the premium flares with the exposed chrome allen bolts. These will also need to be painted. My XK is Bright Silver Metallic. I plan on painting both bumpers and these flares a dark slate gray (charcoal) metallic before installation. Thoughts and opinions?:icon_confused:

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Ahmed was kind enough to get me the part number for the international bumper, but my dealer can not order it
Maybe Ahmed, or one of our other internation members could just buy the part localy and ship it?

I've had good luck on forums getting members to ship parts ... I had some computer parts shipped from the Kingdom of Bahrain recently.

And I get locks and odd ball parts shipped regualarly from overseas

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Ahmed, can you please post me a close up picture of the rear bumper to get an idea of the location of the lights and also a picture of the fenders for the signal light location. Thanks
I have these pics in hand,,, it ok? or shall I take some closeups ?

For a European XH

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Thanks Ahmed! those will work great to give me an idea of how the spacing should be. It looks like they are not centered between the backup sensor instead closer to the outside sensor. I will be checking this out tomorrow hopefully and let you all know if there is room for the lights.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I would think the reason they are outside more is due to their purpose, to let oncoming cars know you are there and where you start and stop (width). If they were too far in then someone might assume you had a narrow vehicle and your corners could get hit.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Rear bumper with factory fogs

I know there's always someone looking for the export edition rear bumper with factory fog lights built in and I came across one. Is this bumper still only available on export models for the 2009 model year?
I was watching an ebay auction for a Grand Cherokee export bumper that was listed as a Commander bumper so I emailed them and he fixed it.
Turns out they had the bumpers for both vehicles. Anyway the Commander bumper is still available but he didn't change the time left on the auction so it's at 16hrs left.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-2009-Jeep-Commander-rear-Bumper-New-OEM_W0QQitemZ120354292055QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item120354292055&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A727|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

1 - 20 of 63 Posts