Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to buy or does someone have an extra rivet nut? I stripped one and of course I need all 4. The dealer told me I need to buy a whole new set of handles...no thanks.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Is there any way to buy or does someone have an extra rivet nut? I stripped one and of course I need all 4. The dealer told me I need to buy a whole new set of handles...no thanks.
Try the dealer's body shop. They probably have some laying around. Pay one of the technicians "under the table" to install them. That's what I did! They have the correct tool to install the rivnuts in seconds! I bought my grab handles before there even was a complete kit; piece by piece, so I did not get the funky rivnut tool (POS) included with the kit. That is why I went to the body shop. Two techs did it - one on each side and they had a race to see who could finish first! I didn't have to cuss once! Good luck. :eek:rangehat:

BWTM: Since I purchased mine piece by piece, the rivnuts are available separately! Have the moron at the parts counter look it up; unless the kits are different than purchasing each of the parts separately.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was able to find some. But I had to go on a scavenger hunt to get one! First I went to Jeep. The service guy said no we don't have em check the help section at advance auto so I went there...nothing even close. Then I went to a custom shop I use to work for and he had never seen anything like it he said check a body shop, went to the body shop I went to when i wrecked my old car they knew exactly what it was and where it came from but said they get them from the parts desk at jeep...back to jeep I went. Parts guy couldn't find a part number so he said he would call back...yea right. Of course he didn't call back so I went back because Mopar e-mailed me the part number 06509106AA. Sure enough he found it and didn't have em so they were ordered. My next issue will be installing those damn things! I need a rivet tool.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Your Jeep parts guy needs to learn how to read the book, or he needs to be fired. This kind of crap pisses me off! People being paid to do a job and they don't have a clue! Go to your Jeep body shop. They have a "real" tool to install these rivnuts. As I said in my post above, the techs had the rivnuts installed in less than a minute! :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
288 Posts
you do not need a riv nut tool, It comes with a bolt and supplied nut with teeth on the bottom. I have a few extra because I ran in to the same problem. I went to my local fastenal dealer and got a longer bolt, everything was pretty straight forward after that.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I had the issue of stripping the supplier bolt, so I had two that did not seat at all. I figured out that the wall anchors ($5) that the Containter Store sells for installing their shelves fits that hole perfectly and with the use of a washer, they worked perfectly. I have one on each of my handles and they are strong enough to support my 6'8" 260 pounds.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I have the nut and bolt "tool" but when I stripped the crush nut (found out thats what they're called) it stripped the bolt too. I never thought of buying wall anchors. Right now the handles are on with just the plastic clips and they're holding pretty well but of course after a year and forgetting theyre not on all the way i'll try to support some weight with it and find out the wrong way. I'll try the wall anchors if I can't borrow a thread setter (the right tool for the job!).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts