Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys,

Yes, I have read all about people installing these themselves, but they are old, and I was looking for fresh perspective. I just purchased them for my 2010 Black Commander. I need them, since I use the cargo area on top, for a lot. Anyways, I don't have the nutsetter, I was under the impression that it was supposed to be included, but its not. So my first question is this...where the hell do I get one? Anyone got a pic of one so I know what I am looking for? How much is this going to set me back? Irritating to buy a new tool that I will never use after this.

Next question is, how difficult is it to pry those plastic covers off to get to the metal? Don't want to have to go out and order new ones. So I need to be careful not to break the bastards.

Thanks for the help, I am a Noob to the Commander. However been working on Jeeps before I could drive....legally:)

·
Registered
288 Posts
well first off you do not need a nut setter! In the kit you get what looks like a nut and it has teeth on the bottom of it. There is also a bolt supplied as well. Put the "riv nut" into the location in specifies. The hole will look like a hexagon. Put the bolt through the nut with teeth on it. All you have to do is thread the bolt into the riv nut and it compresses the riv nut into place. Just make sure the teeth on the nut are against the riv nut, it helps to prevent the riv nut from spinning while compressing it in place. The plactic pieces should just pull off.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I had the same problem just a few months ago! Here's how I got it; first of all they're called crush nuts if you talk to anybody at Jeep or a body shop. Don't strip or break any of the crush nuts they supplied!! Theyre about $6 EACH at Jeep and they're the only ones who can get them. A Friendly body shop should be able to install the crush nuts for free it takes about 5 minutes. To pry off the plastic parts you have to remove the black plastic clips on the inside with the hatch open, then just pull. they're plastic clips and unless you plan on re-installing it's ok to break em and theyre cheap if you do. After it's off the easiest way to install the crush nuts is with a drill. I tried it with a socket and thats how I stripped mine. Anyway, put the long bolt through the nut with the teeth towards the bottom against the crush nut. Then use a wrench to hold the nut with teeth to prevent it from moving, and use the drill to tighten the bolt. It's tough and it might bust your knuckles up but they look great afterwards.

I went out and bought every tool I could find and none worked. The one you'd need is over $100 and I couldn't see buying it for one use. The local body shop had the tool but it was broken...of course.

Good luck though!

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
I had my dealer's body shop install mine - 2 techs each took a side and had a race to see who could finish first. Took about 5 minutes! Dealer wouldn't charge me so I spotted each one $10. Save yourself some grief and have a body shop do it. Then you know the handels won't fall off when you go to use them. :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
301 Posts
The dealer had no idea what a crush nut was when I brought the handles there. He just kinda looked at it and poked around then said he didn't know what to do. I guess it depends on what dealership you go to.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, great help guys! Now I also get what this random bolt and nut it for! The diagram shows me putting the crush nut in the hole with the washer looking end out. Looking at the crush nut that seems to be the crush end. Am I missing something? Seems like I would want that crush end to be inside the hole.

If it is correct then, let me clarify for my own sanity:) insert crush nut into hole, then place the bolt through the supplied nut...then hold the supplied nut with a wrench while drilling the bolt in. Somehow this will set the bolt in place. Is that correct? By the way, the plastic was a sinch...took me 30 seconds to get it off, thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
301 Posts
No the part that flares out stays on the outside. the part that crushes is the thick part with the hex shape. The crush nut acts almost like a wall anchor for your house. you put the crush nut into the hole in the body of the jeep then use the drill to turn the bolt clockwise (tightening) with the nut with teeth gripping the flange of the crush nut to prevent it from spinning.

·
Registered
301 Posts
cool! I bet you're happy with the results. I know I was when I got mine on. Just makes it look so much better!

·
Registered
954 Posts
Hey guys, sorry to resurrect an old thread. I just installed my grab handles last night and I completely missed what that black bolt and "nut" were for. After the installation was complete it felt loose and unusable as a grab handle. So of course I came here and found this thread. Now I have to remove the handles again to get to the crush nuts, I'm hoping this should be fairly easy and the plastic rivets behind the handles will come out without breaking.

Just so I'm clear, when you mention using a drill to tighten the black bolt to "crush" the nut are you putting a socket on the drill? How is that different than using a ratchet and socket to tighten it? I read that somehow others managed to strip theirs but it would work with a drill? Just trying to make sure I understand this before attempting to properly install the crush nuts without stripping anything. Thanks!

·
Registered
954 Posts
I bit the bullet and decided to attempt this install with the included kit and it worked like a charm. I added a small amount of grease along the length of the black bolt used to "crush" the nut to reduce friction and prevent stripping and it worked out well. Initially I tried it with a drill but my battery was weak and just attempted it with a socket wrench.

Man am I glad I came across this and other threads as my grab handles now feel solid. This is proof that the supplied kit does work.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts