Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm attempting to install a child seat but the headrests are too forward for the car seat to properly secure. Yet I'm unable to either remove or raise the headrest. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Same here. I just pulled the anchor straps as tight as I could, which presses the top edge really hard into the headrest. It will probably damage it, but I could not figure out a way to remove or adjust it to avoid the problem.

I'm not worried about the safety of it, though. I've got it secured in there pretty tight.

·
Registered
124 Posts
My baby seats fit in just under it. they fold forward (which don't help). You may be able to dismantle the seat and remove them. I'm not up to a booster, yet.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The higher back car seats are a tough fit. I'm not real compfortable with the way it ties in. this is a real flaw in the design. It also does not help in the the market campaign. My only complaint.

·
Registered
68 Posts
If you have only one child seat, you should mount it in the center of the second row to keep your child away from the doors. This is the safest position and there's no headrest to deal with. I have no problems putting the child seat in the center.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have two kids in car seats - not an option.

My daughter's fits in the seat much better when it's reclined to it's maximum. BTW, many Commander owners don't realize that the second row outboard seats recline. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Brand new owner. Just brought it home this weekend. Having buyers remorse especially now that I realize the booster seats don't work so well for my oldest son. Same exact problem. Headrest hits him in the head and makes it uncomfortable. I've reclined the seats also but am concerned that that is unsafe. Would love suggestions/thoughts also.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Has anyone revisited this? I just bought my wife a 2006 leftover and our Britax seat won't fit on the outboard seats without a large gap. I called the dealer and they said they would get back to me, but of course did not.

Has anyone had luck with a specific brand of forward facing seat? If not, I may look into taking the seat apart and making the headrest removable. Stinks to tear apart a one week old car, but this has to be common problem with a solution. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
98 Posts
We are using Evenflo forward facing seats at the moment and they fit good. I have my 3 year old in the back with the 1 seat folded down and our 20 month old in the middle. I have the latch use of the middle seat and the belt for the back one in the locked position. Both have the back latch being used. I do see that the headrest is not adjustable in the middle row but they do spring forward when you fold the seat forward. Perhaps you can get the latch lock in better when its folded forward then put it back in the recline position. I know I was able to get mine under the headrest when I first put the seat on the left side, so it is possible. Just takes so forcing it under. Good luck to ya.
Jason B
2006 Limited 4x4
5.7 l HEMI
all the bells

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have 2 seats in the 2nd row... One Graco infant carriage in the middle, and one Britax Marathon forward seat behind the driver seat. Both are Latched in. The Britax fits great as long as the seat in reclined fully. This minimizes (almost elinates) the gap between the back of the Britax and the 2nd row seat back (if the seat was left unreclined, the headrest would push the Britax forward in such a way that a huge gap would form.

The Britax feels securely fastened.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I haven't had an issue with this, but I had my sons seat in the middle. The booster seat he has now is in the middle, but I have had it on the side (when I needed to fold part of the seats down to haul something) and have even had him in the third row. It is an evenflow booster seat....no anchoring involved. The shoulder strap fits in a hook in the seat and fastens like a normal shoulder belt only the hook is low enough to where it rests properly for him.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks for all the advice. I use a Britax Marathoner and I'm going to try reclining the seat tonight when I get home. The problem arose when we were forced to use the center seat for a friend's toddler. The owner's manual is silent on the whole issue - I guess I'm not technical enough, but a clarification in the manual would be helpful.

·
Registered
686 Posts
surfdogs said:
Has anyone revisited this? I just bought my wife a 2006 leftover and our Britax seat won't fit on the outboard seats without a large gap. I called the dealer and they said they would get back to me, but of course did not.

Has anyone had luck with a specific brand of forward facing seat? If not, I may look into taking the seat apart and making the headrest removable. Stinks to tear apart a one week old car, but this has to be common problem with a solution. Thanks for the help.

Rather than taking the seat apart, have you considered fabricating a spacer to fill in the gap?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Its easy with one child, put them in the middle, but with two, its is difficult. The rear seats are small, and if you put the car seats next to each other, you can't buckle one in. I have two children, and I have to put them on the ends, but then it doesnt leave enough room for an adult to sit in the middle.

And if you have a high back car seat, the head rests gets in the way. I'm convinced that D/C designed the back seat for only one child or one carseat. The Grand Cherokees, Durangos, and Aspens only have the middle seat belt with locking retractors. In my opinion, locking retractors are a necessity for car seats. I'm now looking for a new Tahoe or Yukon for this reason.

·
Registered
187 Posts
My sons car seat fits perfect in the middle, and I have no problem with it fitting on the sides as well...but then It takes me like 30 minutes of jumping up and down on his car seat while im breaking my fingers tryin to pull the straps!..But I have no prolems!

·
Registered
7 Posts
We have the Evenflo car seat and all I have to do is recline the seat back all the way, install the car seat,
then un-recline the seat back untill the head rest touches the car seat.
No problems at all.

JEEPHEMI said:
In my opinion, locking retractors are a necessity for car seats. I'm now looking for a new Tahoe or Yukon for this reason.
You may want to re-think about trading in your Jeep for da-hoe.....
The instructions printed right on the Commanders 2nd row shoulder belts, tell you how to work the built in locking retractors.
All you have to do is pull the belt out all the way, then it goes into locking mode.;)
Or maybe you have an '06 and it doesnt have this feature?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Frankthatank said:
My sons car seat fits perfect in the middle, and I have no problem with it fitting on the sides as well...but then It takes me like 30 minutes of jumping up and down on his car seat while im breaking my fingers tryin to pull the straps!..But I have no prolems!
I hear you about this. Especially being a small back seat.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Eracer76 said:
You may want to re-think about trading in your Jeep for da-hoe.....
The instructions printed right on the Commanders 2nd row shoulder belts, tell you how to work the built in locking retractors.
All you have to do is pull the belt out all the way, then it goes into locking mode.;)
Or maybe you have an '06 and it doesnt have this feature?
Im sorry, I have a Grand Cherokee that doesnt have the locking retractors in all 3 2nd row positions. I have been looking at Commanders, but besides the small 3rd row and the locking retractors, there is not must difference to justify the switch. Dont get me wrong, I love the Jeeps.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.