Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I saw a thread on here, but can't search it out. A bunch of you guys were looking at different options for the rear spare tire carrier, but it didn't look like there was much follow up on there when I saw it last time. Then poof! Thread gone.

I am looking to purchase a spare tire carrier. I have been rolling the dice without a spare with my Silent Armors hoping they truly have enough armor to keep me out of trouble. I do have a couple of decent sized road trips planned including CO / UT from Wisconsin and don't want to chance it on a trip that long. I could buy a basket and throw it on top but I feel that will cost me greatly on mpg, as if it's not bad enough already.

Any ideas? I like one that hugs the back a bit but swings out of the way so I can get into the tailgate and still tow as well ideally.

Thanks guys, you always come through. Cheers!

·
Registered
62 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,913 Posts

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
OnaTrail,

There are no off the shelf solutions for a rear tire carrier that I know of.

I had a flat with my Silent Armors in the first couple of months of ownership, about 200 miles or less from home. Picked up a large chunk of metal and it was not repairable.

You can get the Rola roof rack like I got for about $160 bucks without the extension IIRC and about another $50 for the extension. I built a tire mount for the rack for $10 of materials or you can purchase one for about $100.

If all you want to do is find a place for the spare for about $160-170 a roof rack will do it, and probably cheaper than and quicker than any other route.

But you could get Doc or a local guy to fab you rear tire carrier.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Funny ... I click on this thread tab and see a sponsor ad for what I want to talk about.. hahaha..

So anyways , here is my thought. I want to get my spare out from under and throw it on the back.

I had an idea to use a rotating hitch adapter along with a hitch mounted spare tire carrier.
The hitch mate rotating adapter is rated to 250 pounds.only (temporary) problem would be for trips.
There wouldn't be an extra hitch receiver to hook up the cargo carrier or trailer too.

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Here's a site with some gnarly looking examples if you're willing to swap the entire bumper

·
Registered
139 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thanks guys , some cool stuff there and good ideas.. the thing I'm talking about tho I thought might be neat ,as it would rotate left or right and down out of the way of the gate , instead of swinging away and or folding down and away, plus it's a money saver at under 200.. I think I'm just gonna get the stuff and see how it works.. we use the trunk space pretty often so if it's to in the way , I'll probably just get some rails and put a roof rack up

·
Registered
338 Posts
You might want to consider a hinge that folds away from the tailgate (outward) to allow you to tuck the tire in above the bumper.

Such as:

I have considered similar things but haven't bit the bullet yet.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yes that is one of the parts I was going to use but thinking about functionality I thought it would be in the way too much when trying to load or unload the back so I thought combining with the roating adappter would be perfect.. but after thought I'm just going with a roof rack.. cross bars are on the way just gotta pick a basket

1 - 11 of 11 Posts