Jeep Commander Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy/make a tire carrier to put on my hitch.
Must sway out so the door doesn't hit every time i open it.
Preferably a way to stop rattling would be really helpful.
Has to be able to hold a 31" super swamper.

If you have any designs, or actual rigs for sale. let me know. :program:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found a great one. but for $750 i just dont think its worth it.
so im probably just gonna fab up my own to attach to my hitch.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I found this on craigslist for $250 I just took the hitch off and welded this on to the Jeep itself. Total cost $325. I love it...

Attachments

·
2,248 Posts
I would recommend that in addition to mounting in the receiver hitch the tire carrier should also have attachments that connect to the frame on each side. A full size spare tire is heavy and in order to safely support it without vibration you need more than just a hitch mount.

I have a spare tire carrier that Ross (Get Lost 4X4) built and it is solid. I am sure that Doc's are also solid and braced.

Also make sure that the tire carrier has a receiver hitch to replace the original one so that you can use it for towing or for a cradle mounted winch.

just my suggestions.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i love your ride man. can you put up a pic of the whole car from the side? does it have a big difference since you have 4" coils in back compared to 2.5" spacers in front?

and i know, if i got a tire carrier i was going to do the exact same thing you have done. 2 bars on side attaching to frame to prevent rattling.

·
2,248 Posts
i love your ride man. can you put up a pic of the whole car from the side? does it have a big difference since you have 4" coils in back compared to 2.5" spacers in front?

and i know, if i got a tire carrier i was going to do the exact same thing you have done. 2 bars on side attaching to frame to prevent rattling.
I am not much if any higher than with the spacer because I added the 4" springs to handle the extra weight I carry in the back. I was occasionally bottoming out the coils with the stock springs. I have an extra 30 gallon auxillary fuel tank where the stock spare normally is located. I also have a locking storage box instead of a third row seat and I carry lots of gear including a winch mounted on a cradle.

You can see from the side that I am not that high in the back.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thats insane man. i have a custom box i made in the back to hold my subwoofers and amps and have a nice little compartment. and it weighs a bit. and it does lower a little. but it lifts my front end up a little. and im rollin on the stock shocks.
my friend got the same lift but he got 2" shocks as well. and it lowered his front and i cant afford lowering in the front with my swampers.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
if only i didnt have a 3.7L :( thats the only reason i want to get rid of this ride. i NEED more power. cause this V6 wont handle much more weight put on here. so i can never get a steel front bumper, or much bigger of a lift or bigger tires.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.