Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally have time to change the rear brakes today, but am not 100% certain if this point in the picture below is a safe place to jack the rear of the vehicle. Also, where is a safe spot to place a jack stand? Under the differential?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see the location in the owners manual (between the housing the shock absorber mount), but I would like to have two locations. One to place the floor jack and one for the jack stand.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the confirmation, I wonder why the source calls it "Front spring mount". Your right by calling it trailing arm.

Hopefully nothings breaks!!!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Are you sure that is a safe spot? While jacking I noticed there was a small crack forming by the behind the contact point.

Maybe I should use the stock screw jack to lift from the rear axle, then use the jack stand placed where the floor jack was in second picture in post #1?

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Every live axle vehicle I have ever owned, I never encountered a problem jacking up the vehicle at the center of the axle and placing jack stands under each side of the axle.

I don't think the owner's manual shows it as a jack point, but the axle is easily capable of handling the load.

Just be careful of the axle cover, make sure the structural part of the axle is bearing the weight and NOT the cover, you can bend up the axle cover and create leaks.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Every live axle vehicle I have ever owned, I never encountered a problem jacking up the vehicle at the center of the axle and placing jack stands under each side of the axle.

I don't think the owner's manual shows it as a jack point, but the axle is easily capable of handling the load.

Just be careful of the axle cover, make sure the structural part of the axle is bearing the weight and NOT the cover, you can bend up the axle cover and create leaks.
I always put the floor jack on the center section also. i didn't want to recommend that because you can bend the lip of the cover and cause a leak if you're not careful. I don't see how the trailing arm mount could tear but anything is possible I guess. I really want to call it a " truck arm ", but that comes from too many stock car races. LOL !!

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ended up using the stock jack (due to the curved end plated) and used the jack stand along the frame to support the weight. Thanks for the help and comments.

Now I don't have to worry about jacking the rear of the Commander.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts