Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I am wondering if those who installed the Monroe load leveling struts model# 58643 that are 2" longer (meant for the F150) used spring compressors? I am having some difficulty getting the bottom lined up straight to get the bolt in the hole. Any tips or advice would be great.

·
Registered
243 Posts
You definitely won't need a spring compressor, as the coilover springs can be compressed by hand. I didn't compress the springs, but I bet a good set a ratchet straps could really help out. I ended up just pushing the shock from the bottom till it went in. Disconnecting the sway bar will give a bit more room, but ya really just gotta push the hell out of the shock to get it in there haha. After taking 'em on and off alot, I learned that the best way is by using a floor jack, as you can easily raise the shock by the bottom and keep it in position while gettin' it in the mounting bracket. I had to tap mine with a mallet pretty good to get 'em in the bottom mount. Also, don't forget to get 3 washers to fit around each upper shock mount bolt. They help compensate for the F-150-designed bushing size difference.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The Ford F150 Pickup, whether fitted with a standard or off road suspension, is fitted with shocks in the rear and struts in the front. These front struts are each affixed to the truck's body with a piece of equipment called a strut mount.
www.carobd2shop.com
I believe this is SPAM!!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts