Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just installed a thrush on my 06...while under there I decided to give it its usual look over for upcomming issues since its last oil change...damnit if I didn't find one...must have started 3k ago but I noticed some drips comming from the rear pinion seal...enough that I have the fling drip line on everything underneath. I havnt had to pull a diff in years, so im a bit rusty on what ill run into, obviously drive shaft needs dropped(ill end up doing u-joints too) but im wondering if I can get this done without having to pull axels out...

·
Registered
64 Posts
You don't need to take the axle off, but you will need room to move under , specially using the torque wrench, took me a few hours last year taking my time,

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Just an FYI. You cant change the u-joints on the rear drive shaft. You have to replace the entire drive shaft once they go bad! As for the pinion seal swap, it isnt all that bad. Did mine a while back and only took about a half hour or so provided you have the right tools.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
If you have never done one before I wouldnt recommend doing it. There are two ways to do it. The way the service manual states and the way i did it. They way i did it apearently you are taking chances that its not done properly. I have put thousands of miles on the XK since the pinion seal install without any issues. adamag25 posted a how to right out of the service manual. I think he put it in his garage thread.

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh god that will be easy, ill back it onto my ramps...I didnt realize the u-joints were on a flange lol. all i need a bar torque wrench to get a reading on it...

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Thats how i did mine differently. I didnt use a torque wrench to measure the rotational resistance or anything like that. Used and inpact to take off pinion nut, pulled old seal, reinstalled new seal, reinstalled pinion nut with impact and reinstalled drive shaft. No problems here and I replaced it thousands of miles ago with plenty of off roading in between!

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Thats how i did mine differently. I didnt use a torque wrench to measure the rotational resistance or anything like that. Used and inpact to take off pinion nut, pulled old seal, reinstalled new seal, reinstalled pinion nut with impact and reinstalled drive shaft. No problems here and I replaced it thousands of miles ago with plenty of off roading in between!
Didn't you also have someone very experienced helping you? People who have experience building diffs are usually able to check the rotational force by hand and know if its too loose or too tight.

But yeah, I would never do a pinion seal like that. YOU got lucky and didn't over tighten it. If you happened to have over tightened it with the impact you'd have to spend a lot more replacing those pinion bearings by now. Not worth the risk IMO. A beam style torque wrench is cheap and it doesn't add a lot of time.... its not like you saved hours, maybe 10-15 minutes?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Didn't you also have someone very experienced helping you? People who have experience building diffs are usually able to check the rotational force by hand and know if its too loose or too tight.

But yeah, I would never do a pinion seal like that. YOU got lucky and didn't over tighten it. If you happened to have over tightened it with the impact you'd have to spend a lot more replacing those pinion bearings by now. Not worth the risk IMO. A beam style torque wrench is cheap and it doesn't add a lot of time.... its not like you saved hours, maybe 10-15 minutes?
That would be correct. I had my buddy Jay help. Well he did most of the work but you know how that goes....lol He is very experienced and laughed at me when I brought him the install instructions from the service manual stating that you need to check rotational resistance and all that. Had I known he wasnt going to go by the instructions I would have just done it in my garage be myself and followed the instructions. Oh well. Again no problems here. Even if I did ever have problems then ill just insall a rear dana 44 axle out of a 2wd hemi commander!

·
Registered
284 Posts
gotta admit, I was a little supprised when I read the 2wd had the Dana 44. Is it stronger that what we currently have. Would it work with the traction control?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't have an air compressor so no worries there. I just have to go get fluid now, anyone have specs off the cuff...im gonna replace front diff oil too while im under there.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I never got around to it...I ended up tradeing it this past monday. It was sudden given what I have done in recent months with the Jeep but I was looking at a car for kicks, saw the car I have wanted for years in the back lot, prices matched, I handed the keys over and signed. :-/ I still have mixed emotions over the deal, but sometimes things present themself and you just do what feels right.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts