Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

The rear quarter panel of our Commander got dented in just in front of the tail light (don't ask). Does anyone know what is involved in replacing that panel? Is it a do it yourself job? I guess the biggest unknown is how the quarter panel ties into the roof section, I assume under the black plastic channels on the roof. Do welds need to be broke and reattached, or is it screwed together?

Cheers,
Roy

·
Super Moderator
14,980 Posts
How bad is the dent ? Can't it be popped out ?

·
Registered
36 Posts
A little PDR never hurt anybody... It would save you a ton of headache.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most of the dent can be popped out but there is a couple of sharp creases where the paint actually chipped off that won't come out easily. Unfortunately I only have access to the car every couple of months so was trying to buy the panel, and have it painted ahead of time and then just bolt it in. Second best option will probably be sending it to a body shop.

BTW, what is "PDR"?

·
Super Moderator
14,980 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
The rear quarter pannel isnt something that just "bolts on". You will need to take it to a body shop to get it fixed properly. Now if it was one of the front fenders thats a different story. They just bolt right on. Had my passenger side front fender off during the snorkel install

·
Registered
88 Posts
07JeepXK is right, rear quarters are quite the job.. I worked in a bodyshop as a wetsand, buff and prep guy and learned alot. Depending on where dent is, I would have the dents removed as much as possible, use small amount of filler for areas it was needed, sand entire quarter and respray blending with surrounding areas... In my opinion that would be the easiest, cheapest "correct" way to fix other than mudding the whole area and painting over it.. Post some pics if you can

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate all of the good advice. Looks like we will be going the body shop route.

Thank you all!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Good thinkin'! That's not one of those DIY jos... unless you're a body man.
I'm fortunate enough to have my brother (who does body work) fix things like that for me. He just removed all small dings from the previous owner with his new Paintless Dent Repair tools.
If you have any small dings like that, it may be worth asking how much it would cost their PDR guys to remove them while it's already in the shop getting work done...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts