Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm looking at getting a pair of the rear step assist handles as my XK didn't come with any from the factory, but i could sure use them. for those of you that have them, i have a question: what is that chrome piece in the handle? does that come off? is it ugly underneath? is it purely for looks or does that piece actually have a purpose? i have zero chrome on my truck and i kinda like it that way. if those chrome pieces are just sleeves that i can take off or paint over, that would be awesome, but if this isnt possible maybe i should look at an alternative? any help would be great, TIA

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I don't think taking them off is a good idea ,, but painting them black would be your best alternative .. some other guys have painted them to match the body color.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I don't think taking them off is a good idea ,, but painting them black would be your best alternative .. some other guys have painted them to match the body color.
I totally agree with Ahmed..................:eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
954 Posts
I always wondered the same. So the chrome cannot be removed?

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
I always wondered the same. So the chrome cannot be removed?
I just looked at mine. It appears they are just snapped on, but if they were removed, there would be an indentation in the handle. I don't know what it looks like underneath them, but I'm not going to ruin one taking it off! :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
542 Posts
nice job painting those red handles, looks really good IMO.
Thank you, just tried something different and I like the outcome.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I totally agree with Ahmed..................:eek:rangehat:

this looks so nice! my jeep is silver and i think the black and silver contrast would look nice as well, though maybe not as nice as your red and black, but still better than chrome IMO. did you take the chrome pieces off to have them painted or leave them in place and tape up the black plastic? also, what did you paint them with, is that automotive paint or something else?

·
Registered
542 Posts
You can check out my "garage" as I did a quick step by step.

I taped the black off and then used sand paper, etching primer, sandable primer, duplicolor touch-up paint, and duplicolor clear. This the cliffnotes version, lol.

Thanks for the compliments.

PS: I can give you a step-by-step in a pm if you would like. Just let me know. Caleb

·
Registered
542 Posts
I'll make it easy for you............

O.K. so i finally got my handles installed. I'm going the no chrome route so, i went ahead and color match my handles and I personally think they look great. I did all the work myself and here is a quick over view.

Chrome handles before paint....

Materials for the job.........

After masking and sanding I etched primed.....

After 3 good coats of etch, I used build up primer....

After 3 good coats of that primer I sanded till I got the smoothest to the touch and sprayed the color/clear...

Here are my install pics and final "look" I was going for....

I had to use my own nutserts as the ones that came with the kit suck and stripped out...

Here are side by side pics of the nutserts...supplied in the kit on top and the ones I used on the bottom.... I used alluminum nutserts with stainless screws....

20 minutes later bada bing bada boom......

That's it for now......So, what do you guys/gals think?........I think they are baddass!

·
Registered
954 Posts
Hmmm, I kinda want to try this and paint them black.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
awesome! thanks for re-posting the step-by-steps. i'm really looking forward to this project now! a great afternoon time-killer :) now gotta decide between black or silver. how have they been holding up to the elements and use? anything you'd do differently if you had to do it again?

·
Registered
542 Posts
They are holding up great. I used automotive paint/clear, so it's the same as the rest of the Jeep. The key is....PREP. Make sure to clean the surface with rubbing alcohol, then sand the chrome( 600 grit ), then clean again, then spray. Make sure to use etching primer as it will adhear to the metal better, then sandable primer. Sand the primer with 600 first, clean with alcohol, sand with 1000 grit till smooth, then spray color coat. Follow can instructions and the paint will come out nice. DO NOT sand the color coat if you have metalic, it'll ruin the paint job (ask me how I know). Spray the clear coat the same way as the color coat and let dry for 12-24 hrs. Buff and polish, then wax. Wear gloves and change them frequently to prevent your oils fron ruining the surface. Just remember, once you do this you can't go back to chrome( unless you go to the chrome shop).

"Would I do anything different?"--------Nope.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sounds like fun to me! figure if i mess it up or dont like the outcome, i can just wrap it in some sort of self-adhesive rubber grip instead. i definately wouldnt want to go back to chrome anyhow. but if it works out nice there's a few other pieces i'd like to do this to as well. do you think this same process would work well for the black plastic pieces?

·
Registered
542 Posts
For plastic, you'll have to get plastic adheresion primer instead of etching primer. Of you want a smooth finish you'll have to sand the crap out of the plastic pieces without ruining them. Take your time and research online on painting over Chrome and plastics. Good luck and post up pics.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts