Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone assist with how to clear the sunroof rear drain lines?
My Commander has a leak above both rear doors when it rains. The water drips out at the low point in the headliner between the top of the rear door frames and the interior lights/grab handles. It saturates the headliner at this point and floods the rear seats and floor.

I posted earlier asking for help dropping the headliner, which I have figured out. I am new to the forum so I am not sure if that post is live or not.

I found that the right rear tube is plugged. I can snake a small cable about 6 feet into the tube, but no more.

Any idea where this tube exits? I bought a pdf repair manual and it doesn't show the end of this tube, just says it exists through the grommet in the body but it doesn't show where it exits and I cannot find it by looking under the Jeep.

Thank you

Kevin

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Can anyone assist with how to clear the sunroof rear drain lines?
My Commander has a leak above both rear doors when it rains. The water drips out at the low point in the headliner between the top of the rear door frames and the interior lights/grab handles. It saturates the headliner at this point and floods the rear seats and floor.

I posted earlier asking for help dropping the headliner, which I have figured out. I am new to the forum so I am not sure if that post is live or not.

I found that the right rear tube is plugged. I can snake a small cable about 6 feet into the tube, but no more.

Any idea where this tube exits? I bought a pdf repair manual and it doesn't show the end of this tube, just says it exists through the grommet in the body but it doesn't show where it exits and I cannot find it by looking under the Jeep.

Thank you

Kevin
Kevin;

Welcome to the forum; Hopefully tis will help you out. Please let me know if you need any other guidance.

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/5-general-commander-discussion/75045-sun-roof-drain-tube-leaks.html

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Big Blue,

It gives me some ideas. I got the headliner down, but the tube goes into the side panel and who knows where it comes out. The left one is not plugged and I see that it drains into a channel under the Jeep and flow out in 2 areas, but not where I can see the tube.

I am thinking of putting some drano in it over night, and if that doesn't clear it, compressed air.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Thanks Big Blue,

It gives me some ideas. I got the headliner down, but the tube goes into the side panel and who knows where it comes out. The left one is not plugged and I see that it drains into a channel under the Jeep and flow out in 2 areas, but not where I can see the tube.

I am thinking of putting some drano in it over night, and if that doesn't clear it, compressed air.
I've heard of some guys trying to snake them out with a wire of some sort and other guys trying to blow them out with a LP air compressor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've heard of some guys trying to snake them out with a wire of some sort and other guys trying to blow them out with a LP air compressor.
I have a small cable that I can get about 6 feet into the tube, then it stops. I think if I blow it out, and if it unfortunately blows the end of the tube loose, I will just cut it and reroute it out the wheel well or someplace not too difficult to do, but still out of the way. I don't know what else to do.
If I could find the other end I could work the cable in that way and maybe clean it out, other wise I need to get creative, I guess.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
I have a small cable that I can get about 6 feet into the tube, then it stops. I think if I blow it out, and if it unfortunately blows the end of the tube loose, I will just cut it and reroute it out the wheel well or someplace not too difficult to do, but still out of the way. I don't know what else to do.
If I could find the other end I could work the cable in that way and maybe clean it out, other wise I need to get creative, I guess.
Here is a good how-to with a YouTube video;

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/5-general-commander-discussion/75045-sun-roof-drain-tube-leaks.html

The guy who posted this thread used weed-wacker line to snake though his drain tubes. The Video is of a guy with a WJ, but, it may give you some insight on where to look for the ends of those drain tubes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited by Moderator)
Here is a video showing the repair on a 2007 Commander - this should answer all of your questions about where the sunroof drain tubes are located;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxrQNKg182I&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Thanks again @Big Blue.

This is a great video and I have watched it. It does help anyone who has the leaks down the A pillar and water on the floor in front of the front seats, great information.

I have had this problem in the past and cleared the tubes by running a cable into them, then compressed air.

My current issue is with the two drain tubes that drain water from the back of the sunroof. I cannot find any information on this. I did figure out how to drop the headliners and now have access to that end of the tubes. Even the maintenance manual does not address where these exit. I may take the rear seats out today and pull up the carpet to see if I can trace them. I won't have access to an air compressor to try blowing them out until next weekend.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Thanks again Big Blue.

This is a great video and I have watched it. It does help anyone who has the leaks down the A pillar and water on the floor in front of the front seats, great information.

I have had this problem in the past and cleared the tubes by running a cable into them, then compressed air.

My current issue is with the two drain tubes that drain water from the back of the sunroof. I cannot find any information on this. I did figure out how to drop the headliners and now have access to that end of the tubes. Even the maintenance manual does not address where these exit. I may take the rear seats out today and pull up the carpet to see if I can trace them. I won't have access to an air compressor to try blowing them out until next weekend.
I seem to remember reading that they exit down though the floor somewhere; I'll have to search around the forum some more and see what I can dig up; I thought that video would have covered it, but, I guess not.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Apparently the front drain tubes would run down the B pillars and drain into the sub frame. Everybody seems to have the same problem not being able to find where the rear sunroof tubes drain;

Another lengthy thread on the subject the links for the photos aren't good anymore unfortunately but there are some good alternative solutions;

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/5-general-commander-discussion/34826-leaking-sunroof.html

Still looking to see if anyone every actually found where the drain tube ends are;

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Im sure this will help many people . I did mines from the bottom of the truck , if you look up into a recess in the frame you will see the niples for the drain tubes and you can pull em off with a pair of needle nose pliers. I believe there may be two more drain tubes in the rear but I havent been able to locate those.

after cleaning my drain tubes i was good for over a year until today I had my truck parked facing uphill in a heavy rain storm and as I pulled onto level ground i heard the water slush forward and come out the grab handle again ahhhh. The hose is either clogged again which i doubt but its possible or the rear ones are clogged and i overwhelmed the front ones .I think these drain tubes are just simply not big enough .
https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/5-general-commander-discussion/17148-leaky-sunroof-fixed.html

I think this is about the best I can do, sorry.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Apparently the front drain tubes would run down the B pillars and drain into the sub frame. Everybody seems to have the same problem not being able to find where the rear sunroof tubes drain;

Another lengthy thread on the subject the links for the photos aren't good anymore unfortunately but there are some good alternative solutions;

https://www.jeepcommander.com/forums/5-general-commander-discussion/34826-leaking-sunroof.html

Still looking to see if anyone every actually found where the drain tube ends are;
Nice Jeep! Looks like we have the same model, and color.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just found some Commander .pdf's for sunroof drain-tube removal & repair, attached at the bottom;

EDIT: This is where I found the .PDF's;

https://www.justanswer.com/jeep/bxdvd-2007-commander-sunroof-water-leak-forward-frame.html
So I read that entire thread and I don't find the gutter they are talking about. I want to blow some air through the blocked tube and then run water over the Jeep and see if it is still leaking while I have the headliner dropped. I only assume it is the blocked tubes since that was the issue with the front tubes, but it may be a combination of both in the back, blocked tube and the gutter not in place, I don't know yet.

My plan C is the same as theirs, cut the tube, but I would reroute it behind the seat belt mount and though the wheel well by drilling a new hole. That is if the gutter is not involved.

I can't reference the diagram that shows how the channel drain connects to the guide arm, still trying to figure that out.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
So I read that entire thread and I don't find the gutter they are talking about. I want to blow some air through the blocked tube and then run water over the Jeep and see if it is still leaking while I have the headliner dropped. I only assume it is the blocked tubes since that was the issue with the front tubes, but it may be a combination of both in the back, blocked tube and the gutter not in place, I don't know yet.

My plan C is the same as theirs, cut the tube, but I would reroute it behind the seat belt mount and though the wheel well by drilling a new hole. That is if the gutter is not involved.

I can't reference the diagram that shows how the channel drain connects to the guide arm, still trying to figure that out.
I just tried it to see if I screwed up the upload somehow and it opened up fine for me; If I had a sunroof, Your plan C would probably be my first choice, for a couple of reasons;

A) You can replace the portion of drain tube that you cut off with a higher quality tube that won't break apart over time, like the cheap factory blue tubing that Chrysler used and you can re-route it to somewhere that is easy to access.

B) Since this seems to be a recurring issue that will need maintenance again in the future, re-routing the rear drain tube exit point, to make it easier to access, only makes sense.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just tried it to see if I screwed up the upload somehow and it opened up fine for me; If I had a sunroof, Your plan C would probably be my first choice, for a couple of reasons;

A) You can replace the portion of drain tube that you cut off with a higher quality tube that won't break apart over time, like the cheap factory blue tubing that Chrysler used and you can re-route it to somewhere that is easy to access.

B) Since this seems to be a recurring issue that will need maintenance again in the future, re-routing the rear drain tube exit point, to make it easier to access, only makes sense.
Do you think black fuel line hose would be a good choice as a replacement tube?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I have started plan C. I bought 2 ten foot lengths of 1/2" reinforced water line. It is pretty much clear other that the lines of the reinforcement.

Anyway, this allows for a greater amount of water to run through but more importantly it allows more debris through as it is a larger inside diameter and fits tight on the existing outlet from the sunroof. I think it will be easier to dislodge any debris with compressed air if it becomes clogged.

The challenge for the past 2 days has been finding a way to route it. On the right side the best I can do is to follow the exiting blue line down the C pillar and come out of that next to the seat belt spool. From there it will run to the floor of the middle seats by the back of the back door and I will drill a hole through the floor. Everything will be covered within the interior panels.

The left side I am not sure of yet. It may go the same way, but the wire harness is much larger there and there may not be enough room for both behind the panel. The option is to run to the back of the Jeep and exit through the floor, again within the interior panel.

Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
I dug through my Tech manual and this is the section on the sunroof drains - see the last page for rear drains. I know you have a manual, but sometimes it is hard to find what you need in it.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts