Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone give me a suggestion, please. My rear passenger tail light was not working so I replaced both my bulbs myself. Now only the turn signal and the brake lights come on. The problem is that when I turn on my lights, the tail light doesn't come on at all unless I use the brakes and the turn signal. I used the same bulb in both sockets, the auto parts guy assured me that it didn't matter. Is this a fuse problem or something that I can fix?? Or will I have to take it to the dealer to fix?? I live two hours away from the dealer. Any suggestions?? Thanks.

·
2,248 Posts
Check the wires inside the tail light housing. The tail light should be a different wire than the turn signal. Maybe you just have a loose or broken wire. If you have an inxpensive 12 volt tester with a sharp point on the end, you can clip the alligator clip to a good ground and find out which wire it is and if it is working prior to the bulb. The brake and the turn signal is a seperate filiment in your bulb than the tail light and is therefore a seperate wire in the housing. It could be a bad socket, it could be a loose or broken wire. If the other tail light works then it is probably a simple interuption in the wire to the tail light on the passenger side and not a fuse which would effect both tail lights.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
i would def check the fuse first.

·
2,248 Posts
Testa,

I would trust you to do Laser surgery, but I can tell you that if the driver side tail light is working but the passenger side is not then it is not a fuse. The fuse would effect both sides.

To more easily find the wire that carries the current for the passenger side tail light, open the drivers side housing and only turn on the tail lights. Next connect the alligator clip of the tester to a good ground, (frame bolt with the paint scrached off or other good ground). Use the sharp pointed end to pierce the insulation of each wire. The one that lights up the tester is the tail light. Look at the color of the wire, the passenger side will be the same. You can also identify the other wires by using the turn signal for the drivers side or having someone step on the brake.

If you have a light at the same colored wire on the passenger side then the problem is in the socket, bulb, or wire connection after the point that you pierced it. If you have no light, then continue to follow the wire back until you get a light. The break or (open circuit) will be between the two test points. This is the classic way to do what is called signal tracing.

I also kind of remember that the wire for the passenger side comes from the front, goes to the drivers side and then goes under the rear end of the Commander to the passenger side, so you might find the break under there. It probably also goes to the wiring for the trailer socket on the way to the passenger side. I am betting that you will find your break somewhere between the two light housings if it is not at the light socket.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Huey, I checked for a couple of hours but couldn't find it. Had to drive it in to regina and let the dealership have a look. Took them about four hours to find it. Good thing it was under warranty. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
did they explain what it was?
im having the exact same problem.
the pass side running light was on and the driver side was off.we changed bulbs and looked for a break and found none.a test lite confirmed it was not getting power.after a while we looked at the fuses under the hood.we found a burnt out 10 amp one.we replaced it with a 20(all we had at the time)and everything was working.that was 2 weeks ago.tonite my son called to tell me the pass side was out so he changed the bulb(def burned out)and the driver side was out again.he doesn't know how long...it could have been tonite or right after he left 2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I had similar problems with my 01 WJ. It was having contact problems within the tail light housing. I would have to play with it every so often. Eventually I went after market for fun and solved the problems. You could also be having a ground issue too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts