1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
128 Posts
Or even maybe get the blueprints for it and maybe a welder on here could make them? Sweet idea!

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
That looks good, I like it.

He has an email link for the specs.

·
Registered
135 Posts
That's kind of like what I was looking at doing, but I was going to make the swing arm full length with the latch at the opposite corner from the pivot. Damn someone stole my idea!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Stumbled on this little gem earlier today. I wonder if we could import them?
http://users.tpg.com.au/klgreen/4x4intelligenceCarrier.html
Found the link at the bottom of this page.
http://users.tpg.com.au/klgreen/commander.html

I emailed the guy in the second link to get some info about his carrier. It was a custom designed carrier using some parts from a Kaymar 100 series LandCruiser carrier. The carrier is bolted "through the plastic bar and mounts via a steel bracket bolted to the rear rails & tow hitch hardware with addition cross bracing support from the aux tank mounting." I am going to try to get the templates the welder he used drew up. He also gave me a link to another site with a great looking product. Check it out: http://getlost4x4.com/?page_id=11
Hopefully I will have the templates soon to post. Till then hope this helped.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I emailed the guy in the second link to get some info about his carrier. It was a custom designed carrier using some parts from a Kaymar 100 series LandCruiser carrier. The carrier is bolted "through the plastic bar and mounts via a steel bracket bolted to the rear rails & tow hitch hardware with addition cross bracing support from the aux tank mounting." I am going to try to get the templates the welder he used drew up. He also gave me a link to another site with a great looking product. Check it out: http://getlost4x4.com/?page_id=11
Hopefully I will have the templates soon to post. Till then hope this helped.
Get Lost is an active member on this forum. I was looking for something a bit more "finished". Let us know how the prints look when they arrive.

·
Registered
33 Posts
It will be the middle of SEP before he can get in touch with his welder, so I will post the pics when they arrive. HueyPilotVN has the Get Lost rear tire carrier. I will see if he knows of any other finished models he found in his search.

·
2,248 Posts
Yes I do have a rear tire carrier from Ross. He was very accomodating with making changes to his basic design. I asked him to offset the tire to the right because I wanted to retain the use of the backup camera. He also put a can holder on the left side and a mount for a CB and for the HiLift Jack. In retrospect I would have not moved the tire as much to the right. I have a large spare and it blocks the right tail lights from directly behind and to the left. The finish and appearence were first class and I am sure that anyone that examines it at the Camp Commander next month will agree. I have bought several things from "Get Lost 4x4" and I would not have continued to support Ross if I did not think that his products were first class.

By the way I did not look elsewhere after I saw the rear tire carrier from Ross.

I probably post too many pictures, but you can judge the finish in these pictures.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I'd love to have a rear tire carrier on the XK but I dont want the added weight. I wish our Commanders wernt so heavy!

·
Premium Member
12,579 Posts
I am having one built for me locally, It will be a complete bumper replacement similar to the aussy version. I do not have time in July so it will most likely be an August project.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I am having one built for me locally, It will be a complete bumper replacement similar to the aussy version. I do not have time in July so it will most likely be an August project.
Do you have any pics of the Aussie Version?

·
Premium Member
12,579 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Yeah I've seen those bumpers before. Id give my left testicle to have those same bumpers on my XK. I really dont want to add any extra weight but those look amazing.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey 49er, do you have any pics that show how the actual mount looks and works? That is an awesome looking setup, very clean!

·
Registered
526 Posts
Hey 49er, do you have any pics that show how the actual mount looks and works? That is an awesome looking setup, very clean!
As mentioned, LA Sport is a South African company that produced limited edition, one off's of their design. They don't have any design pictures really, but all pictures can be found on their website here:
http://www.lasport.co.za/index.html

There is a blue one somewhere in the galleries, but it looks just like the white one. I found a guy that will build me the same front bumper (but better, and painted, with a skid plate) for $750... but I had to go and buy a house. This is not the same guy building my hitch mounted spare tire carrier (which God knows when that will be done)
___

Also, as mentioned earlier, GetLost is a member of this forum and we are all very familiar with him. Per a recent post on his website, they are no longer making parts.

I suggest you do a search for "rear tire carrier" and check out this thread for more information: Rear Tire Carrier Project and Huey's How to: Install "Get Lost" Tire Carrier

Let us know what you hear about the Aussie carrier though

___

EDIT: Already received a few PMs about this post. The guy was going to build me a Front bumper that looked like the LA Sport, but I didnt want to cut out my front steel bumper (only way to hide the winch where it's at), so we were going to have the winch sit on top. He doesn't want to mass produce or sell a bunch of them due to liability (ask GetLost why he stopped). And no, im not crazy I am going to have him build me one when my friend Fundsarelow decides to change. Here is one he built for an XJ

·
Premium Member
12,579 Posts
Mine will run me about $500 and I am sure he would make and ship to others if they like the final design. I am on Vacation the month of July so he will start it when I get back to AZ after Camp Colorado :)

·
Banned
3,374 Posts
I didn't stop because of liability. i have my butt covered with an LLC company and insurance. Not to mention plenty of information in the form of a Limited Warrenty on the products i sold. Such as not responsible for damage taken from slamming your vehicle into a rock them blaming me for your stupidity, trying to tell me you will be suing me, or i'll send you a free replacement, complete refund and etc. I'm just tired of dealing with a few stupid people, low sales (bad economy, thanks Obama), and my expenses were through the roof.

I really hate selling stuff to people, if it was up to me i would take everyones vehicle in for free and build them what they want. I never planned to do the business full time, but when i was laid off last August I had no other choice. This last year I have learned a lot, I've supported myself and family with the business for the last year, but it has not been without a ton of stress and headaches.

And on top of that I really feel like I need to go back to school for my Bachelor's degree. I'll be able to finish my bachelors degree in Business Administration in 2.5 years. I'm also planning on getting a masters degree so i can teach college level. I really love teaching people.

Heemee can ban me if she wants to. I talked about my business on here. Oh-no.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I didn't stop because of liability. i have my butt covered with an LLC company and insurance. Not to mention plenty of information in the form of a Limited Warrenty on the products i sold. Such as not responsible for damage taken from slamming your vehicle into a rock them blaming me for your stupidity, trying to tell me you will be suing me, or i'll send you a free replacement, complete refund and etc. I'm just tired of dealing with a few stupid people.
Wow that really happened. Thats ridiculous.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
That does suck, I can understand why Ross wanted to get out of the general sales business.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts