Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I purchased a rear tow hook and went to install it tonight - but I've noticed that I don't have enough room between the bumper and spare tire to install the bar that goes from the end of the hook and attaches to the middle of the bumper. My question - what damage am I looking at if i simply install the hook to the frame using the 3 bolts??? I know it was designed that way for a reason, but what am I looking at - anyone?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
So I purchased a rear tow hook and went to install it tonight - but I've noticed that I don't have enough room between the bumper and spare tire to install the bar that goes from the end of the hook and attaches to the middle of the bumper. My question - what damage am I looking at if i simply install the hook to the frame using the 3 bolts??? I know it was designed that way for a reason, but what am I looking at - anyone?
I'm not sure I understand what you are refering to. Do you have any pictures?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure I understand what you are refering to. Do you have any pictures?
here is the link to the install instructions: http://site.justforjeeps.com/guide/82208711.pdf

The bar, labeled (B) in the instructions, attaches behind the bumper frame and thus in front of the spare tire. Because I have 265/70s on, my spare takes up every extra inch of space going right up against the bumper where the bar/bracket would attach.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Honestly I could possibly be wrong, but i think the only way to get the bolt for that bar is to take off the rear bumper. The only reason I say this is because it bolts into the same holes that the trailer hitch bolts into and you cant get to that without taking the bumper off. Also you might not be able to run your spare tire there anymore in order to have the hitch due to the size tire you are running.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was expecting to take the bumper off, but before I did, I was looking at where everything would go and realized that with the spare on, the bracket wouldn't fit. My question then, if I don't use the bracket because I don't want to remove the spare and have to use the hook, am I looking at damaging the frame or something else on the XK - it is bolted to the frame now with 3 bolts.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
The bar looks like its used to add extra strength. Im sure there is a reason why it comes with the tow hook, but at the same time I doubt youll damage your commander without it.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I don't have that style tow hook so I'm not 100% on this but it looks like that bar is only to give lateral support to the hook. Meaning if you were to pull something that was not directly behind your commander it could twist that bracket off the "frame". You can probably leave it off but you need to be careful to only pull in a straight line. Or you could add a support that is similar to that one but that doesn't interfere with your tire.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That makes sense and was kind of what I was hoping to hear - thanks.

·
2,248 Posts
If you have a receiver hitch, why not use a slide in bar with either a hook or a "D" ring. I would think that the receiver is about as strong of an attachment point as you will find.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
If you have a receiver hitch, why not use a slide in bar with either a hook or a "D" ring. I would think that the receiver is about as strong of an attachment point as you will find.
From the sounds of it he doents have a receiver hitch.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
no receiver hitch - which is why I was able to get the spare up underneath after upgrading tires...

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I thought I read somewhere on the forum that a Grand Cherokee owner did some custom work to the spare tire area to make a larger tire fit. Does anyone know where that thread might be hiding?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Rear Tow Hook Install

Does anyone have rear tow hook install instructions with pictures? The instruction that came with my hook are not very clear. Is it necessary to remove the rear bumper cover? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
Does anyone have rear tow hook install instructions with pictures? The instruction that came with my hook are not very clear. Is it necessary to remove the rear bumper cover? Thanks.
Moved your question to this thread, check out post #3.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts