1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The hitch actually doesn't come that far to the sides to be in the way, but I do like the shackle a lot better ( forgot about the shackle :) ) Thanks

·
Registered
526 Posts
The hitch actually doesn't come that far to the sides to be in the way, but I do like the shackle a lot better ( forgot about the shackle :) ) Thanks
I agree, and thats what I did too

Just to clarify if someone else stumbles upon this thread later....
The stock Mopar rear towhook has a bolt that goes into the rear unibody frame rail (see picture), and it would interfere with the Mopar hitch mounts.

I went with the shackle too, as I have a hitch. This is the cheapest price I could find.

http://www.carparts.com/Tow-Hooks/GP_2013638_N_111+10718+600022642_10618.car
The Rugged ridge is nice, but if you are looking for "cheap", you may want to check these out. Doesn't look like much, but it is what most people in my jeep club run, and they are tough. If you have a D-ring, this may be a less expensive way to go, but the rugged ridge and others come with a d-ring.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
Out of all of the ones I ever used, I really like the receiver hook that Chaos has. (pic on left in his last post) It's a one piece design which takes the bolted or welded hook missle out of the equation. I don't care for the hoop or d-rings. If the d-ring is under water or in the mud good luck getting a strap on it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Out of all of the ones I ever used, I really like the receiver hook that Chaos has. (pic on left in his last post) It's a one piece design which takes the bolted or welded hook missle out of the equation. I don't care for the hoop or d-rings. If the d-ring is under water or in the mud good luck getting a strap on it.
For those of us who can only be towed from the rear, I think we usually hook the tow strap on, and throw it thru the back window. That way, it is just a matter of poppin the window, and pull out. No need to hook and unhook the tow strap.

GPmitten posted a event or picture thread recently, and the commanders in the posts were doin just that.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
For those of us who can only be towed from the rear, I think we usually hook the tow strap on, and throw it thru the back window. That way, it is just a matter of poppin the window, and pull out. No need to hook and unhook the tow strap.

GPmitten posted a event or picture thread recently, and the commanders in the posts were doin just that.

You are correct, but what you didn't see is GP's Strap was attached to his receiver with a nut and bolt and Chaos' strap was slipped back through his hoop and pinned to his received. Since Chaos' was easiest to change he removed his hoop and strap from the receiver and used the hook instead.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
In the video Chaos' son took GP and Chaos were strapped rear to rear. I thought we did have a pic. Anyway, I can see the benefits of having the strap attached to the rear and hung through the back window, but I also look at it this way. You still have to go to the rear to get the strap out, so whats another 2 feet?

·
Registered
422 Posts
two feet could be your hands and or arms in the mud or water...rather than getting completely dirty and possibly ruining your seats...and i had gotten stuck at rausch creek it was much easier to just pop the window rather than try to tie on to the tow package for a good bite at the ground ...having to dig rather than just pull is not in my foresight...

·
Registered
192 Posts
Rear recovery point

I saw this and thought it was pretty cool. You can either mount a shackle like I did or rotate it and mount a traditional trailer ball. I bought it at Marlin Crawler, a Toyota related company. I bought the shackle somewhere else...I wanted it to be red and shiny!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,579 Posts
That is the same set up I run on my Commander too.

·
Super Moderator
14,913 Posts
[link removed, threads merged]

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
In the video Chaos' son took GP and Chaos were strapped rear to rear. I thought we did have a pic. Anyway, I can see the benefits of having the strap attached to the rear and hung through the back window, but I also look at it this way. You still have to go to the rear to get the strap out, so whats another 2 feet?
When Chaos pulled me out he used his hook because I am using a loop, as can be seen in the above pic, and it was just easier for him to change to his hook and use my strap. I don't have a hook for the reciever, but am thinking of getting one. There is a video of that, but not a pic I know of.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Quote from Biolercommander:

"Just to clarify if someone else stumbles upon this thread later....
The stock Mopar rear towhook has a bolt that goes into the rear unibody frame rail (see picture), and it would interfere with the Mopar hitch mounts."

I was always curious why you could not have the rear tow hook with the hitch. In boilercommander's picture, there is a part missing. I got under a Commander at the dealer last week to see how the rear tow hook was installed. In his picture, you could mount the rear hook with the hitch. All of the holes are already drilled into the frame rail to accept the hook. However, the hook I observed had a brace which went from the bolt marked in his picture across to the passenger side, behind the rear frame rail and used one of the holes for the hitch mount (I can't remember which one - there are four) to secure it to the rear cross frame rail. I would guess that this would give the hook support and keep the driver side frame rail from twisting under load. Depending on the size of the hole in the brace and the size bolt it took to bolt it through the rear cross frame rail, it might be possible to to utilize one of the hitch bolts to secure this brace. It might just take a longer bolt. Has anyone else thought about this? Would it be safe to use the rear tow hook without the brace, if the brace couldn't be modified to work with the hitch?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts