Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I have been thinking about tow points lately. I do not currently have a hitch or I would just use the set up such as Blue has on the rear. What I would like instead is something similar to Omelet.

Those are from SA, but from what I understand they haven't been made in quite a while and they are probably as much money as the front shackle points.

However I found some eBay stuff and I was wondering what you guys thought about them. I'm sure they aren't as strong as the stuff that SA makes, but at that price point I was thinking that something is better than nothing.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think that red thingie is no good.
That is designed to drag a race car (as light as possible) down some tarmac.
Your car, if you need pulling out, is probably loaded up with camping gear, possibly WAM bumpers, etc, basically a heavy beast, that stuck! So you will need something that is 4-5x as strong as anything that's used for that race car, in my opinion.

Edit: just noticed its alloy as well. That will bend/shear at the first attempt.

In this case, nothing is just as good as something

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
14,957 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,834 Posts
Hey all, I have been thinking about tow points lately. I do not currently have a hitch or I would just use the set up such as Blue has on the rear. What I would like instead is something similar to Omelet.

Those are from SA, but from what I understand they haven't been made in quite a while and they are probably as much money as the front shackle points.

However I found some eBay stuff and I was wondering what you guys thought about them. I'm sure they aren't as strong as the stuff that SA makes, but at that price point I was thinking that something is better than nothing.

Thoughts?
Personally, I'd just get a hitch installed.

My XK didn't have one when I bought it - and that was one of the very first modifications that I did.

I think you'll be better off in the long run Burns.

Not just for a recovery point - but also if you ever find yourself in the position of having to tow something, you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Adding a hitch is a more versatile solution. Plus you can cover the receiver with one of these nifty covers:

I don't make or sell that, but I own one :grin2:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all. I am planning on getting a hitch. I just really like the SA points and the way they would also protect the rear plastic when going up steep grades. That's the only reason I even considered the eBay stuff I had found. Thanks for some more clarification.

·
Super Moderator
5,834 Posts
Thanks all. I am planning on getting a hitch. I just really like the SA points and the way they would also protect the rear plastic when going up steep grades. That's the only reason I even considered the eBay stuff I had found. Thanks for some more clarification.
I think you will be very happy with that decision over the long haul Burns.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts