Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had our Commander for 8 months now and this has been driving me crazy. I cannot figure out what these are. First picture attached to the mirror right in front. Square box attached to the windshield, and let l the last attached with velcro to passengers side front pillar. There's a Sirius little square box outside the Jeep above passenger window, but nothing else is labeled. The one on the rear view mirror had wires going into the back of the mirror.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Box on window thought it might be the compass and temp but unplugged it and it still works.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No idea what this is passenger side. Sorry for all the replies wouldn't let me put all pictures in main post, just kept replacing the first with the next.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Sorry 2008 Limited Hemi QD-2 has Rosen dual headrest dvd for back seat also, my gig 20 gig, u connect etc
The one on the windshield does look added, but the rear view mirror is all attached together and has a wire quick connection inside the back of the mirror.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The box on the windshield in pic 3 is the sensor to trigger the auto wiper when it is raining. Not sure but I think the box on the backside of mirror is the sensor to measure light from oncoming traffic to control the auto low/high headlights.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The box attached to the mirror is the sensor that reads/sees oncoming headlights and rear taillights and turns high beams on and off for the auto hi beam feature. If you've not yet used the auto hi beams the are turned on and off via the EVIC and the Information Center on your center stack.

The device sticking out of the passenger side pillar is a microphone for the UConnect system. Not a factory installed mic - and whoever added it put it in a funny spot. I added a mic to my UConnect system and put it on the side of the overhead console; why the previous owner put it way over on the passenger side is 'interesting.' Seems a long way away when you're on the phone or giving commands to the system. It can be moved since the cable is quite long.

The square box on the windshield looks like the receiver for a remote start system. Do you have a factory or aftermarket remote start? If so that would explain that box.

Give us some updates on the auto hi beams and remote start ;)

Bob

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
The box attached to the mirror is the sensor that reads/sees oncoming headlights and rear taillights and turns high beams on and off for the auto hi beam feature. If you've not yet used the auto hi beams the are turned on and off via the EVIC and the Information Center on your center stack.

The device sticking out of the passenger side pillar is a microphone for the UConnect system. Not a factory installed mic - and whoever added it put it in a funny spot. I added a mic to my UConnect system and put it on the side of the overhead console; why the previous owner put it way over on the passenger side is 'interesting.' Seems a long way away when you're on the phone or giving commands to the system. It can be moved since the cable is quite long.

The square box on the windshield looks like the receiver for a remote start system. Do you have a factory or aftermarket remote start? If so that would explain that box.

Give us some updates on the auto hi beams and remote start ;)

Bob
Everything correct except the box on the windshield. It is the sensor for the automatic windshield wipers.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys. Yes I've used the auto high beams, but disabled it since we live in a rural area and it was too sensitive, so the beams hardly ever turned on. Yes it has the rain sensing wipers, and thatmakes sense to have the sensors on the window. We use the u-connect and you do have to talk loud, so moving the mic now in order.
Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
Thanks guys. Yes I've used the auto high beams, but disabled it since we live in a rural area and it was too sensitive, so the beams hardly ever turned on. Yes it has the rain sensing wipers, and thatmakes sense to have the sensors on the window. We use the u-connect and you do have to talk loud, so moving the mic now in order.
Thanks again

Threads like this one remind me of all the little extras the Limited offers that the Sport does not.

Auto Headlights/High Beams, Rain sensing wipers, stereo steering wheel controls and all of that kind of stuff.

I for one, am glad I don't have those options to be concerned about.

These are things I would never use - and it's definitely less stuff to worry about malfunctioning.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Threads like this one remind me of all the little extras the Limited offers that the Sport does not.

Auto Headlights/High Beams, Rain sensing wipers, stereo steering wheel controls and all of that kind of stuff.

I for one, am glad I don't have those options to be concerned about.

These are things I would never use - and it's definitely less stuff to worry about malfunctioning.
But for those of us who have had them for the last 10 years:surprise: trouble free they are really (and I TRULY mean REALLY Brother Blue) NICE.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
But for those of us who have had them for the last 10 years:surprise: trouble free they are really (and I TRULY mean REALLY Brother Blue) NICE.
I can certainly appreciate your sentiment Creek.

I've never had any features like that on ANY vehicle I've ever owned, so, I guess I don't know what I'm missing.

That being said, I rank those kind of features right up there with TPM sensors - another feature that I view as completely unnecessary.

If you can't check your tires with a quick visual inspection and a tire pressure gauge - you probably shouldn't be driving IMHO.

The funny thing is, I'd be willing to bet that 75% of the drivers on the road today, wouldn't know what a tire pressure gauge was if you handed them one.

But don't misunderstand me Creek, I'm not knocking the people that have all the creature comforts of a limited - I'm just glad I don't have them.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
This thread reminds me of my stupid radio that doesn't work and everything connected with it ( GPS, rear camera ).

Mark

1 - 16 of 16 Posts