Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at replacing my rear view mirror with an auto-dimming/homelink one, Gentex 50-GENK40.

Has anyone removed the rear view mirror in their Commander? If so what's the procedure and do you have any tips?

(last time I messed with one was ages ago when they just sat in a metal thingy glued to the windshield. All you had to do was slide it upwards to remove)

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Have not removed the JC mirrow, but the last remote mirror I replaced you had to remove the door pannel pretty straight forward from there. The trick will be does the replacement match the hole pattern of the OEM.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I don't know about the dimming rear view mirrors. Isn't the height of the Commander tall enough where you don't need dimming mirrors? Only way I can see it's use is if you have a semi truck behind you. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Commander24 said:
I don't know about the dimming rear view mirrors. Isn't the height of the Commander tall enough where you don't need dimming mirrors? Only way I can see it's use is if you have a semi truck behind you. Just my opinion.
No, believe me the dimming mirrors are well worth it.

If you run with the rear seat down a lot of headlights can still shine directly into your rear view mirror. Especially here in this land of lifted Super Duty trucks.

I am definitely glad that I have the autodimming mirrors and wish my Cherokee had them to.

·
Registered
476 Posts
The limited comes with electro-chromatic auto dim rear view and driver side mirrors. There are a couple of flaws (IMO) in the design...
- The driver side mirror is controlled by the rear view mirror sensor.
- The rear seats do interrfer with the operation of the auto-dim feature if the head rest are up. Also you need to have mirror adjusted just right or the sensor still does not function correctly.

Sometimes I think engineers should have to use what they create - then we may actually have functions that live in the real world! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
commander24 - The auto-dimming is sort of a value add. The homelink is what I'm really after. I have not priced the OEM homelink transmitter, but somehow doubt it would come in under $200 like the mirror. Haven't found it on the web so it looks like something I'd have to buy from the stealership.

rubicontrail - here in Georgia there are plenty of vehicles that dwarf the Commander. And the drivers of those vehicles are oddly prone to tailgating.

On a side note to that, I was in line for a traffic light this morning and thought I was pretty much right on the bumper of the car in front of me. When I looked over to admire the lines of the Commander in an adjacent shop window, I realized that I was actually a polite 6 - 8 feet back. So one would think having a tall vehicle with squared-off front end would naturally reduce the tailgating tendency. Those guys with the superduty trucks must think they are pushing me in front of them rather than following me. :)

Still no ideas on removing the mirror? It didn't look like the kind of thing one could remove by just monkeying with it without a good risk of breaking or gimping something.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I will just add:
When the "stereo peeps" were installing my remote radar head unit in the little trough in the rear view mirror unit, they had to get Jeep fax a breakdown of how to get the mirror unit out.

These are pretty smart guys too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
webjones said:
I'm looking at replacing my rear view mirror with an auto-dimming/homelink one, Gentex 50-GENK40.

Has anyone removed the rear view mirror in their Commander? If so what's the procedure and do you have any tips?

(last time I messed with one was ages ago when they just sat in a metal thingy glued to the windshield. All you had to do was slide it upwards to remove)
I don't think that the Homelink has anything to do with the rear view mirror. The Homelink is in the overhead console. Don't all JC's have it?
There is an auto dimmer feature as an option. UConnect hands free is another rear view mirror option.
Maybe I'm mis-reading this, but if homelink is what your after, what does that have to do with the mirror?

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
The Jeep Patriot uses a Homelink unit mounted in the headliner, also used on first gen LH's in the sunvisor. Should be able to pick up an old visor and cut out the Homelink for dirt cheap.

Here's what the manual says for removing the mirror.

Using a trim stick remove the trim cover, Disconnect the electrical connectors, Grasp the mirror assembly securely and pull down to release the support pins from the support bracket.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
YB Normyl said:
Here's what the manual says for removing the mirror.

Using a trim stick remove the trim cover, Disconnect the electrical connectors, Grasp the mirror assembly securely and pull down to release the support pins from the support bracket.
Thanks. In that case it sounds like the Commander's mirror is 'special' and so an after market one would not be compatible with the mount.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts