Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story....I had an issue with the CD changer in my 2006 with the REC Nav unit. Mine was early enough that I didn't have the camera port. So I bought a newer one on ebay with the intent of getting mine repaired and reselling it on ebay. This started me down the path of adding a reverse camera and tapping into the video feed on my factory VES system so I could watch it on the front screen as well. Lockpick arrived yesterday and I finished the install. So far it has been a 90% success. The reverse camera works just as ordered. Power, ground and a video cable. Running the wires from front to back was not really fun but not impossible. I mounted the camera in the black plastic cover at the bottom of one of the large handles next to the hatch. It pops off and has a perfect open area to place the camera. You can remove the tail light to find a hole into the back and then you can go behind the panels all the way to the front.

Knock #1.... The LCD screen on the nav unit is really poor at displaying video. On mine the color has a reddish tint to it and there are no video adjustments you can make other than brightness. I used 2 different devices sending video with the same result so my guess is this is the best it is going to get. Viewable yes, quality.... very poor.

Knock #2.... I tapped into the video feed and video ground on the factory VES at the harness at the back of the DVD player in the lower console. I cannot view the video feed and hear the audio on the VES channel at the same time without a work around. Both the reverse camera and video input can not be on at the same time or there is a conflict and you get garbled video. The work around is to put a manual video switch so that only one is sending a signal to the REC at a time. The lockpick can switch between 2 inputs but the second input only allows sound if you are on FM. This would be fine if you had an aftermarket DVD and you could use an FM modulator or the audio inputs they provide. In my case the Factory VES only sends out sound when you are on that input on the REC so I need to be on that input. Also the VES video always sends out a signal even if it is "off" so it cannot be connected to the REC when the reverse camera is in use. My fix is ordering a manual switch. This way when you turn on the REC's video input the switch will allow me to select which feed gets to the screen...the camera feed or the VES video feed.

I took pictures of the install just in case anyone else wanted to attempt. I scoured the forums and found little help.....

My 2 cents....

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Knock #1.... The LCD screen on the nav unit is really poor at displaying video. On mine the color has a reddish tint to it and there are no video adjustments you can make other than brightness. I used 2 different devices sending video with the same result so my guess is this is the best it is going to get. Viewable yes, quality.... very poor.
You should send the unit back. My 2006 REC has very clear video.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
You should send the unit back. My 2006 REC has very clear video.
Agreed, my Lockpic sends very clear video, and I don't have to do all the switching you described to make the video work properly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
post the pics. im starting to look into adding a backup camera to my 06, and dont really know where to start. im guessing my radio is to early to have the camera stuff, but i havent had it out to check for sure

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
Agreed, my Lockpic sends very clear video, and I don't have to do all the switching you described to make the video work properly.
I was talking about sending the NAV unit back that he bought on ebay.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's really strange. The screen on the unit looks fine for everything else. The reverse camera is decent and the colors on things like the nav screen look fine. Its just video that seems to have an issue. I may try unplugging the reverse camera and feeding video through that input but I don't see how it would make a difference. The lockpick plug into the camera port just has 2 yellow composite plugs so there should be no difference between either one.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I still cannot get my lock-pick to work....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My lockpick appears to be working fine not to rub it in. It behaves exactly like the instruction say. Its just that the factory VES sends a signal even when it is off so you cant have it plugged into the video input or it screws with the reverse camera since they technically share the same single input on the back of the REC. I think if you had an after market DVD when it was off it would not send a signal when off and you wouldn't have the issue I have. I really don't want to jack with an ebay return on the nav unit. It is 4+ years newer than my original and it was overall flawless. The previous owner bought it as a kit from the dealer to upgrade and only had it for a short time. He shipped it in the same Chrysler box that it came in to him and based on the dates on the box he couldn't have used it long. Its not really his fault that the screen looks reddish when you are hacking in dvd video :) Even the reverse camera looks fine color wise but there is very little red in the outdoors unless its a red car :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A guy in the LX forums told me how to get in the diagnostic mode on the unit and in there you can adjust the screen colors...problem solved! No more red overload....

·
Super Moderator
14,914 Posts
A guy in the LX forums told me how to get in the diagnostic mode on the unit and in there you can adjust the screen colors...problem solved! No more red overload....
How about posting the details for others who might have this problem ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts