Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I burned a few MP3 CDs and put them in yesterday, and they were playing well until this evening. Now, the radio insists that there are NO cd's in the player (none of the numbers have CD icons) and it will neither let me insert or eject from any slot.

Looks like it's back to the dealer tomorrow again.... :mad:

·
Registered
274 Posts
My Nav 6 disc did the same thing. It would not play, or eject. When I tried to change between discs, it would get caught in the change cd loop. Took it to the dealer, they ordered another, it took about 8 days to get in. It's repaired and now it has been over 5 weeks and I'm still waiting on the dealer to return my cd's which were in the player. They have to send it to who know's where to have them removed. Good luck, be sure to get on their butts about the cd's stuck in your radio & you want them back or they will pay for them.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I have always been wary of slot CD players because of this. But I guess it wouldn't be practical to mount a six-CD carasoul in the dash huh? ;-) I'd suggest you make them pay for the CDs... unless you plan on sitting at the dealership and listening to every song to see if it is damaged.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This one doesn't even try to change or play CD's - when I press the number button it's as if nothing is installed. When I press the LOAD button, it asks me to press a number button, but does nothing when I do - same for ejecting. It's weird. The CDs are just MP3 CDs, so no big deal if I don't get them back. I'm heading in to the dealer this morning - that will make 2 days in a row.... Hopefully they look at it, order a new one, and let me take the JC instead of giving me a POS loaner like they did yesterday.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: I think the JC knows I called the dealership. I made a stop on the way into work and after the stop the CDs magically re-appeared. I told the dealer that I'll monitor it and see what happens - maybe a one-time glitch? I doubt it, but want to see what it does from this point.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I have found Jeeps often know when you talk about them. :-D Talk bad about them and they will misbehave.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A funny follow-up. I ran into a store, came back out, and when I started the Commander up, I wanted to change the track on the radio. So, I hit the upper button on the left side of the wheel. However, instead of the track advancing, the volume went down! So, I tried to raise the volume, and the track advanced! I was all set to drive into the dealership full of piss and vinegar about the !&$#^%$! radio when I realized that the steering wheel was upside down. :eek:

The radio has not misbehaved again thus far. :D

·
Registered
274 Posts
I finally got a call from the dealer to let us know our 4 cd's where here. It's been 2 months. We had 4 cd's in when the player screwed up. Got them back from a radio shop that I guess subs out for DC to get the cd's out of the units. They came back in good shape, no scratch's. The wife had just bought Rob Thomas's new cd. This cd in particular had a paper folded around it which said "Do not use this cd in the unit, it is too thick" It said something real close to that, I left the paperwork in the XK- too lazy to go get it right now:D . Then talking to my Jeep sales dude, He said a lot of the newer cd player are not playing the thicker cd's, and that they get jammed. I asked him if that was what caused my unit to screw up. He didn't really answer my question but he wasn't involved with the repair. He also said that some of the new units wont play cd's people burn on their PC. I'm going to research who makes the Nav/cd player in my XK and shoot they an email. Anyone else had problems, yet?

·
Registered
96 Posts
No problems so far with ours. We did however have that very same problem with our Nissan Armada. It took just over 6 weeks to get the CD's returned.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mine hasn't yet repeated that same problem. I think it knows that I will bring it to the dealership on a dime. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts