Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Commander limited with the REC navigation unit...no map DVD yet. Before I had to unhook the battery to clear an oxygen sensor pcode I was able to enter into the hidden menu on the system...NAV, then 2,6 and cancel to get into it and in there I was able to set the screen brightness to day light. But, now, after the battery disconnect, I can't get into the hidden menu anymore and the screen is obiously set for night time. Anyone know why this is happening or how to into the menu again?
Also, before the battery disconnect, I was able to get the equalizer menu up, but I don't recall how I did it, but it was a 2 button press sequence...now I can't get that to work either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have a 2007 Commander limited with the REC navigation unit...no map DVD yet. Before I had to unhook the battery to clear an oxygen sensor pcode I was able to enter into the hidden menu on the system...NAV, then 2,6 and cancel to get into it and in there I was able to set the screen brightness to day light. But, now, after the battery disconnect, I can't get into the hidden menu anymore and the screen is obiously set for night time. Anyone know why this is happening or how to into the menu again?
Also, before the battery disconnect, I was able to get the equalizer menu up, but I don't recall how I did it, but it was a 2 button press sequence...now I can't get that to work either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I had this saved in my notes. Maybe give it a try and let us know if this is what you're referring to:
1) Put your keys to the 'On' position, to make sure the navigation doesn't lose power during the process.
2) Remove disc and insert navigation disc that you want the unit to download.
3) Start with your radio on any AM station, then press the nav button so you're on the navigation screen.
4) Next, press the following sequence of buttons: AM/FM twice, followed by NAV, then while holding preset 2 and 6 press cancel. This will take you to a diagnostics screen.
5) Once you are in the diagnostics scroll down to "Unit Check" press enter, "Debug" press enter, "Force Download" press enter. (Note: Don't mess around with other stuff in the diagnostics menu, or do so at your own risk.)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If that doesn't help, here's the owners manual. It says '06 but I think they used the same in '07: http://www.seriousinternet.com/xk/2006_XK_Nav_REC.Owners Manual.pdf - I haven't looked through it but maybe the answer is in there. At the least, it should be text searchable.
Wow! Thanks for all that info! ..I tried your steps several times without success. The one thing that I couldn't do in the steps was to insert the NAV disc as I don't yet have that, but one should be here by end of next week and I will try it again.
From what I am seeing right now, is that the hidden menu is something that is on the NAV disc, so not having one I guess is causing this all to not work. My guess is that the menu is loaded into the units memory, which it probably was from a previous owners usage and it allowed me to get into it before the battery disconnect. Disconnecing the battery most likely cleared the memory in the unit and would explain why I haven;t been able to get back into it....we'll see next week I guess.

On the bright side, the link to the manual was very helpful as it showed me how to get to the equalizer menu. I tried and tried to find the manual for this unit and couldn't, but you came thru! THANK YOU!

Once I get the NAV disc in next week, I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
102 Posts
You're welcome. Glad that was of some use. My OEM unit died last year, in that it just stopped reading the nav disk. Without being able to read the disk, I couldn't even adjust the clock for Daylight savings. That was the last straw that drove me to upgrade to an after-market unit (which includes Android Auto) and I've been very glad I did. Hope the nav disk works out for you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You're welcome. Glad that was of some use. My OEM unit died last year, in that it just stopped reading the nav disk. Without being able to read the disk, I couldn't even adjust the clock for Daylight savings. That was the last straw that drove me to upgrade to an after-market unit (which includes Android Auto) and I've been very glad I did. Hope the nav disk works out for you.
Ok, I got the new navigation disc in, inserted it into the REC and I get "read Disc Error"...a no go. I have intermittent problems with the music CD's working too. I did a little research and found a youtube video on how to make a cleaning disc for DVD/CD players. So, I tried it and would you believe it WORKED!

Here's a picture of the cleaning disc. I used a narrow strip of carpet tape on an old DVD and cut a piece from an unused micro fiber cloth and stuck it to the carpet tape. I 1st tried it on the Cd's and it cleaned the laser lens and the CD's played with no problem after that. Next, I inserted it into the Nav disc slot and let it read and eject the disc 3 times. I inserted the NAV disc into the unit next and away it goes! The Navigation is now working well in the Jeep.
The Navigation software though is very outdated and archaic to say the least. I won't be using it for navigation, but it is comforting to know that what came with my Commander now still works.
Hope this helps others!
David

·
Administrator
2006 Limited 5.7 HEMI Quadra-Drive II
15,699 Posts
@dharvey Awesome! Thanks for that info!

Reactions: dharvey
1 - 7 of 7 Posts