Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have just bought a used Jeep and the factory installed REC navigation didn't come with a manual (I noticed there's a thread that someone has it, so if you have it could you please e-mail it to me?). Meanwhile perhaps you can help me with some questions...

1. How do I turn off the 'fade out' that happens when I turn on the lights? I have to turn the lights on all the time during the day and it makes the navigation LCD darker. That's a bummer.

2. How do I input non-standard street names? For instance, I was trying to input 159th Pl. (place) and after I entered 159th it assumes it is the street or whatever, but it is definitely not 159th Pl. I thought the map didn't have it but when I got there low and behold it said 159th Pl. on the screen. This also happens for Ave, Circle, or even streets that start with, say, North 159th.

Thanks!

Chris

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts
1. How do I turn off the 'fade out' that happens when I turn on the lights? I have to turn the lights on all the time during the day and it makes the navigation LCD darker. That's a bummer.
Are you talking about when you turn the headlights on ?

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts
You can make the screen brighter with the dimmer control on the light stalk.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, that worked.

As for an example for my other quesiton - I live in Seattle. Here's the address of a Denny's there -

904 North 155th Street

I can't enter it in my navigator :( I can't start with 'N' or 'North' and although I can find 155th Street it doesn't let me enter that number. Here, for instance, SE 8Th Street is different than 8th Street NE.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
The way you enter addresses is convoluted. Here's how it works:
  1. Select Destination Entry [Enter]
  2. By Street Name [Enter]
  3. Enter street name ONLY, no directions [Enter]
  4. Select Street Name [Enter]
  5. Enter Address number [Enter]
  6. City will appear, select [Enter]
  7. The closest matching addresses will appear. Select the one you're looking for. [Enter]
  8. Your address choice will appear with OK highlighted. Press Enter to start routing.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Could it be that you have an old, old disc? Just a guess on my part.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nope, I tried the steps to find a street by street name (no city) and it's not there. The weird part is that when I drive through the street the navigation knows about it. *sigh*

My CD/DVD is 05064033AE. I guess this is Sept. 2006.

·
Super Moderator
15,109 Posts
Nope, I tried the steps to find a street by street name (no city) and it's not there. The weird part is that when I drive through the street the navigation knows about it. *sigh*

My CD/DVD is 05064033AE. I guess this is Sept. 2006.
Yes, that is an older disk but it should still have most streets on it unless they are new in the last 3 years.

Krakatoa
Krakatau (native name)
An early 19th-century illustration of Krakatoa

Elevation: 813 metres (2,667 ft)
Coordinates: 6°06′07″S 105°25′23″E / 6.102°S 105.423°E / -6.102; 105.423
Type: Stratovolcano
Last eruption: 2009

·
Registered
5 Posts
try changing state and city first as it will know what streets the city has and it maybe stuck in a different city or state to begin with.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I did find the street looking for an intersection. For the example above I can set Aurora Ave in Seattle and look for intersections. Than I chose 155th (no 'N' in front of it) and after I accept it it says Aurora Ave with N 155th. So I guess the workaround is to look for intersections :|

I also have a Chrysler with MyGig and I can type those streets fine. Interesting...

·
Registered
953 Posts
Well, I have just bought a used Jeep and the factory installed REC navigation didn't come with a manual (I noticed there's a thread that someone has it, so if you have it could you please e-mail it to me?). Meanwhile perhaps you can help me with some questions...
Send me a PM with your email address. I can't send you the manual without as address! ;)

:eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hmm, I thought e-mail was enabled in my account - I will double check. But I just got it anyway, thanks.

By the way it says to look for intersections when you can't find a street. I guess that's it :) Will be looking for intersections from now on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts