Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the REC radio is available with and without the connector for a back up camera. That is the only difference I am aware of between the REC radios that came in various Chrysler vehicles. There are a ton of different part numbers for the REC but I am assuming that they are all functionally the same and are interchangeable (other than the camera function). Can I use any REC radio to replace my current REC radio that is giving me problems? If so, I want to replace my problem REC radio to the REC model with the back up camera.
I know a lot of people have installed an aftermarket radio or changed to the MyGig radio but I do not want to go that route.

·
Registered
480 Posts
The REC radios are interchangeable, so any model REC should be able to replace yours. The REC also gets the brand name over the CAN bus, so the new radio should also display Jeep after the first start.

As far as replacing with the backup camera, you'll probably encounter some issues finding parts. I wanted to go the same route for awhile but couldn't find the proper camera and trim. You'll also want to be very comfortable with wiring to install it, or take it to a shop, since you'll need to run new wiring across the entire vehicle to wire in a backup camera.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The REC radios are interchangeable, so any model REC should be able to replace yours. The REC also gets the brand name over the CAN bus, so the new radio should also display Jeep after the first start.

As far as replacing with the backup camera, you'll probably encounter some issues finding parts. I wanted to go the same route for awhile but couldn't find the proper camera and trim. You'll also want to be very comfortable with wiring to install it, or take it to a shop, since you'll need to run new wiring across the entire vehicle to wire in a backup camera.
Thanks. I am not worried about wiring. I know it is a PITA to open up all the trim and molding but I have done that stuff before including wiring in an aftermarket NAV radio with a lot of hard wire connection. My main concern was if there was any functional difference in the various P/N's for the REC.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts