Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My REC radio has a problem. The display is dead and it will only play CDs that are loaded. The radio turns on off and the volume works but everything else is non functional. The same goes for the steering wheel controls. Googled this and it seems to be a common problem, but no one can tell you whats wrong or how to fix it short of farming it out for repair and pray. Also about a week ago my alternator started to take a crap and started to pitch the engine up and down in rpms. I replaced the alternator but I had the battery disconnected for a day if this is any help. Any one knows of a radio repair shop in the northern New jersey area that has fixed this problem please chime in.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Keep an eye out on ebay, often people that install aftermarket stereo's sell their factory radio on ebay at significantly less than new or even used through normal outlets.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I had the battery disconnected for a day if this is any help.
After reconnecting the battery is this when the problems started? There is a code required to reactivate the radio if it is without power for a period. The Sales guy put mine in the OM

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The head unit itself has no display but the only function it has is that it plays, changes, and ejects CDs. The other control bottons on the steering wheel and head unit itself have no function when pushed or toggled. I tried disconnecting the battery again today and had no change in statis. I can't get the DVD to eject the NAV disk. I have read in forums that the NAV disk is part of the Boot up operation when turning on the car, how true this is, is anyones guess. This is the second Head Unit in this car, the first unit had multiple problems reading the NAV discs after several years.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Mine is working on putting on a ROY. G. BIV display of lines across the display, but all the other audio functions work.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Follow up

Well got tired of not having a fully functioning radio, so I contacted the company that rebuilds radios for Jeep Dodge Chrysler -United Radio Service http://www.unitedradio.com/ out of New York. I know this due to the fact that their repair sticker was on my radio for a warranty replacement (DVD issue) I had several years back with this commander. $450 complete rebuild includes shipping both ways. This includes a 1 year warranty also. EBAY best is only 3 months. The radio turn around was less than a week and when I received the radio it had the factory CD shipping retaining clip installed and a blank shipping disc in the DVD slot for additional protecting. Not to many service company's will ever go the extra mile. I am Very Happy but that's a lot of cash for a happy wife.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts