Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had this recall done? I got the notice over 6 months ago and every time I contact the dealer I am told the parts are not available. If this issue is dangerous it would seem that 6 months is a long time to drive a dangerous vehicle.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
The issue isn't that dangerous, people have reported it happening, but its rare and has yet to cause an accident.

Since the recall is for a design flaw in the switch, they have to redesign the switch, build and ship it before recalls can start.

I have a feeling Chrysler was just covering their butt by doing the recall voluntarily, at a time when GM was being excoriated in the media for ignoring an obvious, very common and serious problem with their ignition switches that was causing accidents.

So is Chrysler just paying lip service to avoid bad press at the moment and have no intention of actually following through and fixing it? (They've done it with the incompatibility issues with their uconnect, for ten years costumer service still reads the same script, "We are aware of the problem and a fix will be issued soon", ten years later and it still hasn't been issued. -OR- Is Chrysler actually working on a fix and you'll see it soon? We hit the 1 year point and the dealers are still saying the new parts aren't available, I'll conclude Chrysler is doing the former.

Keep in mind, the recall is for the ignition being turned off when the key is bumped with a knee. They have to make the ignition switch stronger, with more resistance to moving out of the position its set.

It is NOT for:
Getting new keys or extra keys, likely you're old keys will work and no new keys will come with it.
Fixing light flickering/stalling issues from electrical failures within the switch, it happened on a few commanders, but it isn't at the level of being a design/quality flaw. Parts wear out or fail on vehicles, sometimes you have to replace them. If you're experiencing this, just spend the $50 and half hour and replace your ignition switch with one of the current design, or stop complaining if you're so cheap that you're willing to put up with this problem waiting for Manufacturer to replace it for free for a totally different problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
A man ran off the side of the mountain here where I live, I read about it online. 2006 jeep commander, he says the jeep completely shut off, had no control of anything, blamed it on the faulty switch.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
The Steering Wheel and Brakes will 100% work without engine or electrical power. The man would have to be extremely elderly and frail NOT to be able to control his vehicle after a malfunction.

The only problem identified with the switch, is it is possible to bump the key with a knee and switch the ignition to accessory, shutting off the engine. Did he do that?

Others have identified that the Commander's ignition switch is like every other ignition switch put in cars since the beginning, a few of them fail and need to be replaced.

I learned to drive in early '80's on '70's vehicles that were carbeurauted and no electronic control, engines stalled all the time. It is much less common today, but it seems that when it happens we act like its a life threatening situation and blame the manufacturer for making a death trap.

I do blame the manufacturer's for keeping the diagnostic information from the owners, that is totally unethical.

But everyone seems to have the attitude that if they buy a vehicle that it should never have a problem or need a repair for the 10 years they own it, but when they are done with all their complaining, they blindly accept that their only option is to take it to a dealer and pay four times as is necessary to diagnose and fix the problem, that they could fix themselves or the corner mechanic could fix for much less, if they only had the diagnostic information/tools.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I do blame the manufacturer's for keeping the diagnostic information from the owners, that is totally unethical.

But everyone seems to have the attitude that if they buy a vehicle that it should never have a problem or need a repair for the 10 years they own it, but when they are done with all their complaining, they blindly accept that their only option is to take it to a dealer and pay four times as is necessary to diagnose and fix the problem, that they could fix themselves or the corner mechanic could fix for much less, if they only had the diagnostic information/tools.
AMEN. And a Hallelujah, even. This part of the current state of technology in our vehicles really pisses me off. I LOVE the technology. I hate its designed inaccessibility.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
We agree, and that is the problem, they design it to be inaccessible to force the customer into the dealerships.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here's what I was told...

My wife asked me to call the number on the recall notice to see if there was any news. The canned message did say they expect the parts to be available in the stealerships by mid-September.

CyberPliers

·
Administrator
16,134 Posts
My wife asked me to call the number on the recall notice to see if there was any news. The canned message did say they expect the parts to be available in the stealerships by mid-September.

CyberPliers
That was last September.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Jeep commander stalling... More common then you think

We have an 06 Commander that has this "stalling while driving" issue. And don't get me wrong, I love my commander. My husband lifted it slightly, built a beefy aftermarket bumper on it, on put bigger tires on it. It's a nice ride inside and out! But recently it has become unsafe to drive even by my husbands dirtbike riding, rock crawling standards! It is in no way a knee inadvertently hitting ignition switch issue as I am barely 5'4 and cannot possibly touch the ignition with my knee while driving (as Chrysler is saying). A couple times the car started up again all by itself before I could get off the road. Is this my knee hitting the ignition again? It also shutters, shakes and skids sometimes (usually traction control light comes on when this happens also). One member said this is not as dangerous as it sounds, as we drove with out powersteering and assisted braking for years. I'm no spring chicken, and have driven many old trucks and equipment with poor brakes and steering. This is a shortsighted comment even to me. Yes even my small frame can manhandle a vehicle off the road to restart it... Providing I'm not in the middle of a crowded freeway causing countless people to hit their brakes behind me (as I have read in some forums), or in our personal case am not on a highly traveled, curvy mountain road with no turnouts at night. Stopping in the middle of a curve trying to get your car restarted so you have lights again feels like an eternity! This has happened to us 15 to 20 times in the last 6 months. For me, my husband and our teenaged driver, This is where the danger of this issue comes in. It is random and without warning. There are dozens upon dozens of accounts of this issue on jeep commander complaint forums. Unfortunately Chrysler is grouping a bigger electronic or software issue in with this ignition switch problem (or theory). It is more complex then an ignition problem and manifests itself in many different ways for various commander owners. These concerned owners are not overreacting or concerned about the cost of repair or parts. The outrage is that this began happening in '06 and For 9 years mechanics and Chrysler themselves still can't fix it. There are some really talented and bright mechanics out there. If a mechanic could actually tell us what is wrong we would fix it. So my beautiful jeep sits....

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
We have an 06 Commander that has this "stalling while driving" issue. ...unsafe to drive... .....It is in no way a knee inadvertently hitting ignition switch issue as I am barely 5'4 and cannot possibly touch the ignition with my knee while driving (as Chrysler is saying)....

....A couple times the car started up again all by itself before I could get off the road. Is this my knee hitting the ignition again? .
Again, you're confusing symptoms and causes.

The Chrysler P41 recall is NOT for stalling issues, it is for an ignition switch design flaw, that would allow the ignition to be switch off if you bumped the key with your knee.

If you had the recall done to your vehicle, it probably would NOT fix your problem. Possibly it might fix the problem if the root of your stalling was a failure internal to the switch, so by coincidence replacing the switch would solve two problems with the replacement of one part. But if you're stalling is so serous and such a danger, and you think it is the ignition switch causing it, why are you waiting for the recall that will fix a problem you are NOT having, just get a new ignition switch and put it in.

While I do understand the frustration with the automotive diagnostic and repair industry, the Dealership service that absolutely horrible, and the fact the Manufacturer's only make it worse by keeping diagnostic information and tools proprietary.

Do a search, there is a thread (I think it refers to a TSB, maybe NOT) that some early Commanders had a production flaw in the PCM's that would cause opening circuits on the connectors, thus the stalling.

Other possible causes:

Using higher than recommended octane (not likely by your description) will cause stalling in cold temperatures with cold engines.

Overdue preventative maintenance, i.e. tune-ups, new plugs, filters, clean the throttle body.

EGR, check its functioning properly.

Vacuum leaks, exhaust leaks can cause it.

There are more, but Ignition Switch and the anti-theft WIN module that interfaces between the Ignition Switch and the PCM can cause it as well.

The first step in trouble shooting any problem is checking the fault codes stored in the vehicle. You can do a "Key Dance" procedure to have the fault codes read out on the Dash. It will NOT read out every code, you need the Chrysler wiTech tool to read all the codes, if you had brought it to the Dealer or independent shop with an equivalent very expensive tool, they should have scanned and read those codes and corrected them.

....My husband lifted it slightly, built a beefy aftermarket bumper on it, on put bigger tires on it.... ....It also shutters, shakes and skids sometimes (usually traction control light comes on when this happens also)....
The bigger tires you've put on it are likely responsible for this. The ESP/BAS/ABS all react and operate based on wheel rpm being proportional to certain speed, and by changing tire diameter you've changed those proportions. The dealer or independent shop with the right electronic tools and knowledge should be able to reconfigure the ESP/BAS/ABS system for the different tire diameter and that should improve the traction control light coming on with stuttering, skidding. At the same time, read up in the O.M. about how these systems work, it might just be they are operating correctly, as well, there is a procedure to turn off more than just the traction control with a button press, you can turn off the ESP as well as traction control if follow the simple procedure in the O.M.

I have experienced the skidding and stumble, but since I read the O.M. and understand how the system works, I realized it was doing it job and operating correctly like it should and it was preventing what was likely the entering of spinning tires, spinning out or coming close to roll over.

·
Administrator
16,134 Posts
Again, you're confusing symptoms and causes.

The Chrysler P41 recall is NOT for stalling issues, it is for an ignition switch design flaw, that would allow the ignition to be switch off if you bumped the key with your knee.
That is a false statement, Mongo. See the actual recall notice I am posting here. Also, bumping the key with the knee is not the only way the switch is turned off. Having too much weight (i.e. too many keys) on the key chain can also move the switch when it becomes jostled while driving.

·
Premium Member
1,993 Posts
A couple times the car started up again all by itself before I could get off the road. Is this my knee hitting the ignition again? It also shutters, shakes and skids sometimes (usually traction control light comes on when this happens also).
This is a fixable problem. One of the many things the computer does when the ESP kicks in is kills engine power. When this happens it actually feels and sounds like the engine has cut off. The shutters, shakes and skids you feel is the computer sending power to certain wheels while applying ABS to others. This is a problem after lifting the Jeep to high or to tall a tire without using the AEV module or a programmer to change tire size. The dealer can only do certain tire sizes you'll need your own programmer to change fix the tire size.

This problem could also be caused by failing wheel speed sensors (WSS) or wheel hub. WSS can fail and with taller tires really cause issues. Some information would be needed from you to get your issue fixed. If you want to start a thread were we could help to start diagnose your problem I would be happy to help. Their are some knowledgeable people on this and other XK forums that can help. I actually knew how to drive my XK to purposely cause this issue to happen because of the lift and size tire I had on my last one.

It also could be a failing computer board like Mongo said in his post. I hate to see your XK sit for a problem we may be able to help you with.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
That is a false statement, Mongo. See the actual recall notice I am posting here. Also, bumping the key with the knee is not the only way the switch is turned off. Having too much weight (i.e. too many keys) on the key chain can also move the switch when it becomes jostled while driving.
No it is NOT a false statement, it's just NOT a verbatim description of the problem, while you do have a point that its possible for other scenarios to cause the ignition switch to be inadvertently switched to a different position, it doesn't change the point I was making.

"......may experience an unintended change in ignition switch position while driving......"

No where in the Recall do they talk about "Stalling", "Flickering Lights", "Interruption of the ignition circuit" for other than the unintended change in ignition switch position".

The Poster I quoted and was replying to, clearly stated she has stalling issues, but the ignition switch has never unintended changed position to turn the motor off while driving. In her case the ignition switch stayed in the Run position when she experienced stalling.

So there are dozens of causes for stalling issues, changing the ignition switch will NOT solve it unless it happens the cause of that particular vehicles stalling issues was the ignition switch.

If you're NOT having the ignition switch unintended change position to turn the motor off, then you're stalling problem is not the design flaw in the ignition switch. That includes if the cause of the stalling is a failure in the ignition switch, the internal failure is NOT a design flaw (at least one that Chrysler has admitted or NHTSA has identified) it simply has failed, like other designed ignition switches and other parts suffer a failure.

There is a thread about a flaw in the PCM's of some 2006 Commanders (maybe 2007 as well) causing the stalling issues. I ask you, how does a new ignition switch fix that?

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
....When this happens it actually feels and sounds like the engine has cut off. The shutters, shakes and skids you feel is the computer sending power to certain wheels while applying ABS to others. This is a problem after lifting the Jeep to high or to tall a tire without using the AEV module or a programmer to change tire size. The dealer can only do certain tire sizes you'll need your own programmer to change fix the tire size.
While the lift and bigger tires without making adjustments to the ESP configuration could cause these complaints.

Keep in mind in some scenarios, the complaints might be the ESP working like it should, they just don't know it.

More than once, I have experience brakes applying to make the vehicle skid or surprise me. Loosing traction and starting to slide a bit in gravel or snow, I could feel the brakes apply in the rear and pull the vehicle straight again. That is ESP doing what its suppose to do. Once a took a turn way to fast, got into way more body lean than was comfortable, and I could feel and hear the ABS pump and brakes applying to different wheels. That was the ESP doing what its suppose to do and help prevent me from rolling the vehicle over. More than once I have tried to pull out of wet pavement or gravel with the wheels turned with more than a moderate amount of power, the engine seemed to stumble and fall on itself and the vehicle pulled out slowly despite having the pedal on the floor, after I thought for a second I realized that was traction control that intentionally reduced engine power, to keep me from spinning the tires like crazy, which what I was doing would have caused that.

The poste was also complaining of stalling, but never had the ignition switch unintended change position. She is mistaking the recall for the switch being a recall to address stalling issues, it is NOT, and her problem is doubtful to be the ignition switch, its definitely NOT because of the problem the recall identifies, the ignition switch unintended changing position, cause she stated she never experiences that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
recall p41

My 2006 commander is under the recall P41, and stalled one day, going about 45 mph. My knee is nowhere near the key. I lost steering and braking, and hit the back of someone towing a pontoon boat. The airbags should have deployed, but did not. $11,000 in damage to my vehicle, $1,000- deductible out of my pocket, and now a damage disclosure on my title. Chrysler has been absolutely awful in trying to help. I got my jeep fixed, and it still turns itself off randomly. The dash lights go crazy sometimes causing the headlights, radio, and other electronics to turn off. Something is very wrong with the ignition. I want them to pay for this.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
The issue isn't that dangerous, people have reported it happening, but its rare and has yet to cause an accident.

Since the recall is for a design flaw in the switch, they have to redesign the switch, build and ship it before recalls can start.

I have a feeling Chrysler was just covering their butt by doing the recall voluntarily, at a time when GM was being excoriated in the media for ignoring an obvious, very common and serious problem with their ignition switches that was causing accidents.

So is Chrysler just paying lip service to avoid bad press at the moment and have no intention of actually following through and fixing it? (They've done it with the incompatibility issues with their uconnect, for ten years costumer service still reads the same script, "We are aware of the problem and a fix will be issued soon", ten years later and it still hasn't been issued. -OR- Is Chrysler actually working on a fix and you'll see it soon? We hit the 1 year point and the dealers are still saying the new parts aren't available, I'll conclude Chrysler is doing the former.

Keep in mind, the recall is for the ignition being turned off when the key is bumped with a knee. They have to make the ignition switch stronger, with more resistance to moving out of the position its set.

It is NOT for:
Getting new keys or extra keys, likely you're old keys will work and no new keys will come with it.
Fixing light flickering/stalling issues from electrical failures within the switch, it happened on a few commanders, but it isn't at the level of being a design/quality flaw. Parts wear out or fail on vehicles, sometimes you have to replace them. If you're experiencing this, just spend the $50 and half hour and replace your ignition switch with one of the current design, or stop complaining if you're so cheap that you're willing to put up with this problem waiting for Manufacturer to replace it for free for a totally different problem.
Has yet to cause an accident? October 2014, my jeep stalled causing me to lose steering and braking. I hit the back of a pontoon boat, causing $11,000 in damage. The body shop said the airbags should have deployed, but no they didn't. I've had the damage fixed and since then it has turned off about a dozen more times. My knee is nowhere near the key. The dash lights will sometimes flicker and all the warning lights will come on, the fan for the heater turns off and the headlights flicker. If I wiggle the key, it makes it worse or sometimes better. Chrysler needs to resolve this before it ends up seriously injuring someone.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had the same recall done. However I was luckier than you. Since then I've had no issues whatsoever. I don't know whats going on with yours. weird. But yes, this is a very dangerous issue.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
...My knee is nowhere near the key. I lost steering and braking, and hit the back of someone towing a pontoon boat. The airbags should have deployed, but did not...
Has yet to cause an accident? October 2014, my jeep stalled causing me to lose steering and braking. I hit the back of a pontoon boat, causing $11,000 in damage. The body shop said the airbags should have deployed, but no they didn't. I've had the damage fixed and since then it has turned off about a dozen more times. My knee is nowhere near the key. The dash lights will sometimes flicker and all the warning lights will come on, the fan for the heater turns off and the headlights flicker. If I wiggle the key, it makes it worse or sometimes better. Chrysler needs to resolve this before it ends up seriously injuring someone.
So you have NOT bumped the key with your knee, inadvertently moving it to the off position. But has the key moved inadvertently to the off position all on its own, maybe from a swinging key chain? Or has the engine just stalled, with no change in the key position?

Has it caused an accident? I'm repeating only what I've heard, so far the two people disputing that claim, said the key isn't inadvertently turning off, i.e. what I've repeated again and again in this thread, they are NOT suffering the issue for which the recall was issued. Thus the claim still holds true, but I don't know it for a fact.

Again, read the Recall that jeep5253 posted right in this thread. The recall says nothing about stalling issues, the recall clearly states that some Commanders can have the key move to the off position inadvertently, which shuts down the motor.

If you believe your stalling issues are a manufacturer defect in the vehicle, and NOT a component failure from wear and tear, then you can file a complaint with the NHTSA, cause the current recall is NOT the cause of your complaint. You might want to file a complaint about the steering and brakes as well.

This is the point that seems to keep going over everybody's head, if you think there should be a recall for stalling issues, then you should do something about it, because this recall is NOT for stalling issues.

A stalling motor will NOT disable the brakes and steering, the brakes will still have power boost for several presses of the pedal after the engine stalls and then they will still work just you won't have power boost, that is why the pedal is wide enough for both feet. Steering will continue to work, just without power boost, and at 45mph should NOT require that much extra effort to steer, the effort would increase as the speed decreased.

(One note for others, when you get in your car in the morning, before starting it, step on the brake pedal and see if brake pedal still has power boost, if it does NOT, you have a bad vacuum check valve in the power booster and should replace it. This is a safety item, so you still have power boost to the brake in case the engine stalls).

There are multiple threads about stalling issues, please read them, one thread is about physical flaws discovered in the 2006-07 PCM's for Hemi's that caused undiagnosable stalling issues. Other are for sensors issue, or ignition maintenance way overdue issues. Some are for ignition switch itself issues, but these are electrical problems within the ignition switch, again the recall is for ignition switches that can be inadvertently switched to off, NOT for ignition switches with electrical problems creating stalling issues. But you should read them.

The air bag failing to deploy, were you injured bad enough to require a stay at the hospital?

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
.....In any case, i find it unethical to sell vehicles with a potentially dangerous defect. They shouldn't have released them, or at least told the buyers abt this issue before marketing it. I wouldn't buy a vehicle if I knew a problem could be hazardous.
I can't say it never happens, but in most cases the defect isn't discovered until after the vehicle has been in production and many models already sold. Then its the measure of a company, how well they do to address the problem.

If you expect Perfection in everything, you'll spend your whole life disappointed.

And its NOT that simple in identifying a defect, that can become subjective sometimes. Especially dealing with a media, public, government and legal system largely ignorant on the issues and too quick to make incorrect judgments, sometimes for self serving reasons.

You'll find complaints for all sorts of things, people jumping to conclusions and blaming the manufacturer or the vehicle for things that are their own fault, or no one faults at all. The NHTSA/NTSB has some awareness of this, by tracking trends and investigating before they make a fuss with the manufacturers. Cause sometimes, there is no defect, sometimes its just ignorant owner's that are blaming someone else, or refusing to accept the responsibility for maintenance and repair of the vehicle they own. Or even sensationalism created by the media.

But, you do find Manufacturers that do make unethical decisions, to avoid costs, sell vehicles, or in the case of the GM ignition switches, all the decision makers in the company pushed off the responsibility of fixing the known problem and thus it never got fixed.

The Jeep Death Wobble is a good example of the results of an over sensational media and ignorant public, accusing the manufacturer of unethical behavior for refusing to correct what they ignorantly assumed was a defect. The reality was it was the result of the owners ignorantly ignoring and failing to correct the results of normal wear/tear/damage on their suspensions and related components. Because the media and much of the public was ignorant of the fact that Jeeps had different suspension from other vehicles to have that Off-Road ability, as such the downside they never considered before purchasing, was it would require more maintenance and repair of the suspension than your typical on road only car or you would suffer greater consequences in that lack of maintenance and repair than other vehicles. So, if you're going to complain about Jeeps reduced off road ability over the years, please also do NOT complain about Jeep death wobble. This is the reason that all Jeeps but the Wrangler has independent suspension. On the other hand, if you bought a Commander, and expect like a typical on road only car, you could get away with NOT putting a dime or once of effort into maintaining and correcting wear in the suspension, then Jeep made the correct decision in putting IFS on the Commander, at least for you.

On to this particular problem. I have read about stalling issues in this forum, and they fall along several lines.
*Owner's failing to do normal maintenance, once they replaced the overdue spark plugs or other items, it solved the problem.
*Normal wear or tear, once they properly diagnosed the problem, they replaced the failed sensor or corrected the malfunction causing the stalling.
*Stalling and flickering lights from an intermittent electrical failure internal to the ignition switch. This has happened in other ignition switches, and its NOT the same as an ignition switch that can be switched off unintentionally.
*Stalling that can NOT be diagnosed by the Dealer or Owner, and numerous attempts and replacement of common causes does NOT solve it. Perhaps a combination of poor dealership's service departments and support of fielded vehicles by Corporate. There is a thread about them finding a flaw in the 2006 PCM's, a physical flaw on the connectors creating the problem that was so difficult to identify.

I have also read about ignition switch issues in this forum, and there is only one situation.
*The Ignition Switch unintended switching off, by a swinging key chain or bumping it with a knee. Which ever post I've seen said it happened once, maybe twice, scared the driver, but did NOT result in an accident.

Granted this is Semantics, but technically it is NOT stalling, the motor is getting accidentally shut off. Everything works like it should, except it is too easy to accidentally shut off the motor during normal driving.

Totally unexpected stalling (or accidentally shutting off the motor) can create a Dangerous Situation, but lets be clear about it also. A stalled motor does NOT disable steering and brakes. It will make steering a little bit more difficult unless you're at an extremely low speed (which also reduces the dangers). It will limit the time you have power assisted brakes, but more than enough to be able to stop the vehicle easily after the stall. The brakes will continue to work even after you loose the power boost reserve, it will just take a whole lot of force on the pedal to stop the vehicle.

The GM situation went to a ridiculous extreme, with a high percentage of vehicles that had unintended engine shut downs multiple times every time the vehicle was driven. No support from GM or the Dealer's for the owner's to correct the problem, even on their own dime. It was only a matter of time, that the increased risk at such high numbers would result in accidents.

Chrysler has a recall for the same problem in the Commander, but the problem is far less extreme than the GM situation, but it does happen. Read the Recall Notice, it is for only accidentally shutting off the motor. Only one of the 5 issues I talked about above.

Of the additional 4 issues, only 2 of the 4 you can blame on Manufacturer. Even then, of those 2, I would need to see some statistical evidence for the intermittent internal electric failure in the ignition switch to declare it a defect, something the NHTSA/NTSB would do before they go to the manufacturer and say, you've got a defect that is your responsibility to repair. It could be the result of normal wear and tear. The 2006 PCM on the other hand, from what I read, that sounds like a defect the manufacturer should be on the hook to replace, but I could be wrong.

So what does this boil down to. If, like people are posting, you believe the Commander has stalling issues that are the results of defects that Chrysler should be correcting, then you need to file complaints with the NTSB or other avenues to remedy the problem, because this recall is NOT for those issues and it will NOT correct those issues.

Of course if you have an ignition switch that broke (one of the stalling issues) and you do get a recall notice for replacing the ignition switch for a switch that is too easy to accidentally switch to off. You could luckily get your repair done for free, because they would be correcting a problem you have, by correcting a problem you don't have, but could for a known defect in that part.

Which leaves me scratching my head? If the dealer is telling you the new part is NOT available and you'll have to wait, and you're NOT having the problem the recall is for; you can read multiple threads of people that did have the problem you're having, corrected it themselves by replacing the switch with the currently available part for $35 and a half hour of work, why don't you just replace the switch to solve that problem, while you wait for the recall to solve the other problem? (I'm assuming that Chrysler is waiting for a REDESIGNED switch that would prevent the unintended switching off, but the old design switch is readily available. So a new switch from current stocks would have new internal electrical function, but would still be at the same risk of developing the situation of being able to move to the off position too easily while driving.)

The engine being accidentally shut off from an ignition switch that too easily can be moved to the off position while driving VERSUS stalling and flickering dash lights from an ignition switch that remains in the RUN position, because it has internal electrical failures; IS 2 DIFFERENT PROBLEMS. The recall is for only one of them.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts