Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided to install this other rear diff cover, I went to Advanced Auto Parts and got lube for the rear diff and gasket stuff. I realized the (Get Lost 4X4) replacement cover was not going to fit, I had to reinstall my stock cover.

Used Permatex gasket maker, #1, black, in a pressure can that cures in 1 [email protected]$11 a bottle. I was checking the amount of lube I needed only to find out.... 1) There wasnt enough lube (calls for 70oz but he gave me 2 quarts) and 2) the wrong weight. 85-140 but I needed 75-140........puppy piles!!! 1 quart is 30 oz, 2 quarts would have left me 10 oz short.

Spent all this time draining, cleaning, putting back together.......so off to Advanced I go again. And I explain they gave me the wrong stuff, not enough of it and now i have to take it all apart, drain it, and start over. I was, unhappy at least.

The stuff I bought, what I was told to use, cost about $6 a quart. The only 75-140 they sold was Mobil1 full synthetic, at $18 a quart.........and they only had 2 but I needed 3. The counter guy listened to what happend, and then he gave me 2 quarts of the mobil1 and the gasket material. Had to go about a mile or so to another store to get the 3rd quart.

Kudo's to Advanced Auto guy for making it right, I lost an hour having to drain and replace the cover and lube again. But I am happy with the way it turned out.

Lesson here, look it up for yourself, 1st!!! Can't always rely on what thier computer tells you. If in doubt, follow the MFG specs!

I decided to paint the rear diff cover. St Georges' Cross of the Knights Templar.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Did you put the Slip Lock Gear Oil Additive in?

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Looks great! I really really like the cross.

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thank you adam.

Coming Soon:

RETURN OF CICO7

But a quieter version :grim:

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Thank you adam.

Coming Soon:

CICO7

But a quieter version :grim:
I thought that was you. Glad to see you posting again. ......GP

·
Banned
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you everyone. Good to be here.

Let's get dirty! :rocker:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Did you put the Slip Lock Gear Oil Additive in?
I believe the mobil1 synthetic already has it in it.

Not 100% sure tho, but my rear diff cover was bent and leaking, so I had to top mine off when I straightened the cover. I used the same mobil1, and I believe the bottle says that it is already mixed in.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
So I decided to install this other rear diff cover, I went to Advanced Auto Parts and got lube for the rear diff and gasket stuff. I realized the (Get Lost 4X4) replacement cover was not going to fit, I had to reinstall my stock cover.
I seem to remember something about a design flaw in the GetLost4x4 diff covers but I thought he remade them.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I believe the mobil1 synthetic already has it in it.

Not 100% sure tho, but my rear diff cover was bent and leaking, so I had to top mine off when I straightened the cover. I used the same mobil1, and I believe the bottle says that it is already mixed in.
I never heard of that, but I only researched on Amsoil; lubricants that's what i use) .. but it' not a big deal the dif will exhibit shuddering and grabbing if the additive is needed and you can just add it in.

·
Premium Member
691 Posts
I used mobil1 & the additive(friction modifier from the dealer).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts