Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the mud...

The XK isn't shown, but the winch line does go to it. I promise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EICgpTrQirE

Now, I had trouble with traction. I kept getting pulled across the slid mud towards the stuck vehicle. Even when I had chock blocks under both front wheels, it still pulled me forward. I need to find a good anchor for winching people out - any recommendations? I've seen the pull pal, but it sure is expensive. I'm tempted just to take some ground rods and a sledge hammer with me to get the job done.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I can't see the video. I checked YouTube under your screen name but still could not find it.

I know a guy that used to carry a large pipe and a sledge hammer in his suburban to get himself out of muddy fields; about thirty feet at a time.

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
I need to find a good anchor for winching people out - any recommendations? I've seen the pull pal, but it sure is expensive. I'm tempted just to take some ground rods and a sledge hammer with me to get the job done.
If you have a read hitch you can install a "D" ring there and a strap around a tree behind you will keep you from being drug forward.

·
Registered
87 Posts
when you are winching like this, make sure you don't have it in park, put it in neutral and put your foot on the brake, this will prevent damage to the park pawl in the transmission and also give you 4 stopped wheels to anchor with. tires are another big improvement for this. if you have a tire more suited for street than offroad they are more likely to slide due to the tread pattern being so close together, the offroad tires have larger lugs with larger spacing for better traction. if you have the room you can hook up your winch and then pull him out with your rig rather than your spool. have the stuck person use 4 low (forward) and you use 4 low (in reverse) and just pull him and start bumping your spool for even greater pulling power.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the heads up regarding being in park - I hadn't thought of that. I would have anchored to a tree behind me with my tow strap, but there wasn't one. In the end, another truck was out there that anchored me while I winched him out. I think I'll take along a ground rod and sledge hammer for next time - just in case. 6 feet of steel into the ground should be sufficient to keep me in one place.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I carry several things to anchor too. Make sure if you use some kind if rod that u put a wide angle iron most of the way up it or it will just rip out of the ground.
I use old truck axle shafts for my rods.
If u are winching against it, one probly won't be enough.
Also....u may consider a guide wire anchor.they screw into the ground.I got one at Tractor supply that is rated for several thousand pounds for less than 15buks.but it alone won't work....you will have to use it in addition to a stake....I put the stake in the ground with the sledge at angle...angling away from the winch line.....and the scew the anchor in angled the other direction and connect it at the top to the anchor stake to hold it from ripping up and tipping forward when the load is applied.

If this sounds confusing, I can probly shoot some photos of the setup some time if need.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts