Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Red Cone is one of the most scenic runs in Colorado. It's also the only trail (that I'm aware of) that is one-way, by law, once you start down the west face. It's about 25 degrees nose-down. It's made of loose shale and it's difficult to slow if you've gained too much speed. Technically, it's not too challenging, but the consequences for not taking it seriously have been fatal for some people over the years. Once down to the bottom on the west side, you can head back up Radical Hill which is another loose, steep, very narrow shelf road with a couple switchbacks so tight, even wranglers have to 3-point it around.

Heading to the summit from the east

Up on top at 12,801 feet ASL

View from the Jeep heading down - you can see how the trail actually drops out of sight similar to a steep ski-slope

View from someone already down

Radical Hill

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
Nice pictures, there is a fun idea for Camp 2009?

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Local Residents

Top of Radical Hill looking east/northeast

One thing I'm finding with the Superlift, the rear lower control arm mounts take a beating in the rocks

Lunch stop. We grilled hamburgers. Jeez that was a good day.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Nice area, and great pics! I think that would be a good choice for us to meet.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Now I have to try Red Cone & Radical Hill. Where in CO do you live?

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'd love to go there!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Lets all run a few laps when we get there so we can all pass out from lack of oxygen!

·
Premium Member
12,578 Posts
4.7commander said:
i need to get a roof rack as well. i keep seeing pictures of them and thinking that would be great.
I see a new project in your future!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
great pics. that pic that just drops off looks insane.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It is a great trail. There are some challenging obstacles, but most have bypasses. I've been over it several times on dirtbikes since 1985 but last weekend was the first time over it in a Jeep. It is steep enough to get your attention for sure. For those familiar with Colorado, you access Red Cone from hwy. 285 near Grant. If Webster Pass is open, you can descend from Red Cone that way, back to 285. It was still closed with snow. So you end up making your way to Keystone and I-70 and back up over Eisenhower. Here's a good shot of my boss' '98 ZJ crossed up. It's not a Commander, but it's still pretty cool, I guess:)

·
Registered
45 Posts
that decsent looks pretty steep. i've only been to colorado in the winters during snowboard season. i freezed my arse off. but now i hear you guys are having a heatwave out there. those pics shows lots of nice greenery which i think is cool, hardly see that out here in the desert. if you guys are planning a meet out there i'd definetly try and make it.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
Sounds like its near Montezuma maybe? I have been on some great trails up near there.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Ken - how did your QD-II handle the ride up and, I guess more importantly, down the slope? Or were you just riding the brakes the whole way down?

Pics look great. Too bad they're a little late for the calendar.

:)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts