Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Inferno Red Commander. Yay. My paint code on the door sticker is PRJ. Recently I discovered a couple scratches on a door so I went to the dealer with my VIN and paint code for them to order me touchup paint. No biggie, right?

Well, when it came in, it is paint code PRH, which they are telling me, by the book, is the same. I do not believe it is.

Can I get owners of the "other" red colors to tell me what your color and paint code is? Your paint code is found on the sticker on your drivers side door. Bottom row, on the right 1/2 of the sticker.

PRH looks darker than inferno, I'm wondering if it's Blaze Red, or the new Red Rock color. On the bottle, it's definitely darker than mine and I'm not really wanting to put it on my Jeep until I confirm in my own mind what color this touchup paint is.

Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
I ran into the same problem. Try to have the dealer cross-reference it with the same color for a Grand Cherokee, they might be different.

My dealer said that Jeep seems to be recycling their paint codes, which is a big no-no since it confuses everyone.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the bigger problem is that they discontinued Inferno Red, but then painted vehicles Blaze Red and still tagged them as Inferno Red. I know that happened in late 2005 on the Magnums. I just wish there were a color description on the bottle... That would make it much easier.

I guess i'll try a little on the underneath and see what it looks like, or inside the door somewhere.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Red,I will see if I can get any info for you since this is right up my alley;) ( I run a large collision shop).Inferno red is a 3-stage paint and the touch up might not look correct.Usually touch up wont match perfectly because of the metallics not being sprayed, but touch up is a good idea to help prevent rust.I have seen Mopar codes being different on the last digit for touch up.I'll post tomorrow.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I used to run a mobile paint repair company. Chyrsler miss codes all the time. Touch up on a three stage with not look perfect for sure. Sometimes you can just take clear coat and put it over the scratch and that will look better than using touch up paint. However, you have to see if you even have the three stage paint. I think you may not...

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ntrepid43 said:
Red,I will see if I can get any info for you since this is right up my alley;) ( I run a large collision shop).Inferno red is a 3-stage paint and the touch up might not look correct.Usually touch up wont match perfectly because of the metallics not being sprayed, but touch up is a good idea to help prevent rust.I have seen Mopar codes being different on the last digit for touch up.I'll post tomorrow.
Thanks, I appreciate that. I dabbed some on the rear hatch under the back glass, doesn't look the same color to me, seems darker, but I'm pretty critical when it comes to stuff like this.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
My XK was touched up by the dealer before I bought it near the gas cap, and I notice it when I fill up as it is a darker red. Its not noticeable from a distance, but it is hidden by the filler door.

·
Registered
71 Posts
RedCommander said:
I have a 2006 Inferno Red Commander. Yay. My paint code on the door sticker is PRJ....Well, when it came in, it is paint code PRH, which they are telling me, by the book, is the same. I do not believe it is...
"PRH" and "PRJ" are the same (Inferno Red or aka Blaze red). These are sales codes and can be different for different vehicles/different model years. The Mopar part # for the PRH or PRJ tube is 04889836AB and for the PRH or PRJ spray 04889837AA.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Ok, acording to our color charts (Sherwin Williams) there are 2 versions of this color, PRJ is a 2-stage color which is your regular basecoat/clearcoat color, and PRH which has a tinted clearcoat (3 stage). both are called Inferno Red in our books. Just remember with touch up, less is more, use as little as possible to cover the damaged area. -43:)

·
Registered
71 Posts
ntrepid43 said:
Ok, acording to our color charts (Sherwin Williams) there are 2 versions of this color, PRJ is a 2-stage color which is your regular basecoat/clearcoat color, and PRH which has a tinted clearcoat (3 stage). both are called Inferno Red in our books. Just remember with touch up, less is more, use as little as possible to cover the damaged area. -43:)
Inferno Red Tinted Pearl Coat (PEL, Sherwin 56148 / 49762) is a different color code than Inferno Red Crystal Pearl Coat (PRH/PRJ, Sherwin 63816).

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Early 2005 LX's had Inferno Red Crystal Pearl Coat, Late 2005LX's had Blaze Red. They are NOT the same color cars. The red base might be the same color, but the final result is not.

Are the 06 Commanders supposed to be "tinted" or "pearl"?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts