Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just picked up a nice Reese explorer roof rack from Wal-Mart. $99.32
It's 44"x35"x4.25". Seems well built. Putting it together now so wheel have to wait and see how it is . Probably won't be too much space up there once my 32" tire gets on it.
Also got brand new oem cross rails off eBay from ikon motorsports for $120. Can't beat that. Just waiting for them to come in

Attachments

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Your mounting it to OEM cross rails?

Those darn things sit up pretty high. I'd try to fab up some low profile cross bars out of square stock, or mount it directly to the roof rails personally.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not wide enough to mount directly to the rails them selves. The rack is low pro it self so I'm thinking it's gonna look good, and I figured at that price mite as well get them, just cause oem.. thanks for input tho. Sal how did you mount the unistrut to your rails?? Any pictures??

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Finally got mine up, man these hooks on the mounting brackets suck, all but one is bent, and all of my twist knobs popped off, oh well just put a lil paint on the head and it's fine with me, mounting brackits seem to fit too loose for something that is oem.. the play they have ⊙ around the bolt is annoying to me and I'm sure cause for a tiny bit of the rattle I hear, but it's only on hard bumps,., over all I'm really happy with it,

Time to Move down the list of projects to complete

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
I used a bolt and washers to grab the rail. It didn't look the best but worked for me. Matt mads some sick sanctions out of aluminum he turned on lath which was way over my head LOL

This is what Matt built.

Here you can read his thread how he made them. Click Here
How you mounted the cross bar is how I did the ones on my expedition, but what is that bracket you attached the rack to the cross bar with?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I used a bolt and washers to grab the rail. It didn't look the best but worked for me. Matt mads some sick sanctions out of aluminum he turned on lath which was way over my head LOL

This is what Matt built.

Here you can read his thread how he made them. Click Here
Yeah that looks good.

I have OEM rails, and they are solid, I just wish they were lower. If I didn't already have OEm rails I would've gone this route.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Finally got mine up, man these hooks on the mounting brackets suck, all but one is bent, and all of my twist knobs popped off, oh well just put a lil paint on the head and it's fine with me, mounting brackits seem to fit too loose for something that is oem.. the play they have ⊙ around the bolt is annoying to me and I'm sure cause for a tiny bit of the rattle I hear, but it's only on hard bumps,., over all I'm really happy with it,

Looks real good! :headbang2:

·
Registered
134 Posts

Looks goo to me, not bad at all and seems sit pretty tightly.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@holiday it's a u bolt clamp has a hard rubber curved piece that sits a top the rail and then a metal bracket that the u bolt goes into around the bottom of the rail. I took a look yesterday and got everything adjusted and moved the tire up some too so it sits on both cross rails.. no more rattle,, yay. Thanks everyone else for the props..

Someday I'll get a bigger rack to fit luggage on too with the tire lol and possible make those custom rails for lower. But works great for what is for :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Nice . Thx

1 - 13 of 13 Posts