Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m excited to have a Jeep again after foolishly trading in an XJ for basically nothing a few years ago.
I just picked up a Silver 2006 Commander Limited w/ 5.7 Hemi, QD-2, and about 1-inch of baby suspension spacers.
The first items on my list are primarily tidying up items like new keys (came with 1 and a resistor broke off the antenna on the circuit board drastically reducing the reliability), rotors and pads, and probably an o2 sensor and egr valve (if o2 tests bad and egr doesn’t clean up). My little “maybe” add on while the wheels are off is some 1.25-inch wheel spacers, one of my peeves about these Jeeps is that they look a bit narrow and I always think a wider stance makes a rig look a little more robust.
I am upgrading the factory radio with a nice Kenwood with CarPlay though and I’m excited about the way that will hopefully turn out hooked up through the idatalink Meistro unit for steering wheel control and vehicle information integration.
We also have a rooftop tent that we had installed on our Toyota Highlander last year and I’m excited about putting that on a vehicle that can get to some more remote free camping sites.
Before I even made the purchase I was lurking here and learning which features to seek out and I’m sure I’ll be around a bunch looking for ideas and learning from old posts now that I’ve got this.
Thanks in advance for everything I’m sure I’ll learn here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My stereo upgrade is from the factory changer to a double-din dvd receiver and I’ve only seen 1 thread with info about that kind of swap. I know I can remove the bezel that reduces the stereo opening in the dash down to the silly little Mopar size but I’ve only found 1 off the shelf replacement for that bezel and it’s overpriced so I’ll probably be making my own bezel out of some ABS sheet. If anyone has tips,tricks, or links that will help with that project let me know. I’m not worried about the plastic fab, I build theater scenery for a living and the one thing we are really good at is being a little good at a lot of construction techniques and assorted materials uses.

·
Super Moderator
5,763 Posts
I’m excited to have a Jeep again after foolishly trading in an XJ for basically nothing a few years ago.
I just picked up a Silver 2006 Commander Limited w/ 5.7 Hemi, QD-2, and about 1-inch of baby suspension spacers.
The first items on my list are primarily tidying up items like new keys (came with 1 and a resistor broke off the antenna on the circuit board drastically reducing the reliability), rotors and pads, and probably an o2 sensor and egr valve (if o2 tests bad and egr doesn’t clean up). My little “maybe” add on while the wheels are off is some 1.25-inch wheel spacers, one of my peeves about these Jeeps is that they look a bit narrow and I always think a wider stance makes a rig look a little more robust.
I am upgrading the factory radio with a nice Kenwood with CarPlay though and I’m excited about the way that will hopefully turn out hooked up through the idatalink Meistro unit for steering wheel control and vehicle information integration.
We also have a rooftop tent that we had installed on our Toyota Highlander last year and I’m excited about putting that on a vehicle that can get to some more remote free camping sites.
Before I even made the purchase I was lurking here and learning which features to seek out and I’m sure I’ll be around a bunch looking for ideas and learning from old posts now that I’ve got this.
Thanks in advance for everything I’m sure I’ll learn here.
Welcome to the forum @brianfmeister;

Post some pics of your Commander when you can; .

Here are some links if you want to order any parts for repairs or upgrades to your XK;

Chrysler/Jeep Factory Parts: http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...ukey_make=1064

Cheapest factory Parts: Find OEM BMW, Fiat, Ford, GM, Mopar, Nissan, Subaru & Toyota Parts & Accessories

JeepinByAl: JBAoffroad.com

JustforJeeps.com - http://www.justforjeeps.com/?gclid=C...9i0hoCSS7w_wcB

Rough County lift kits - Suspension Lift Kits, Body Lifts, Leveling Kit, 4x4, Jeep, Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Off-road Truck | Rough Country Suspension Systems®

AFE: Advanced FLOW Engineering | Engineered Adrenaline

CARiD.com - http://www.carid.com/?gclid=CjwKEAjw...NrrxoCEBbw_wcB

Bilstein shocks & struts - Home

WAM Custom Bumpers - https://wambumpers.com/

4WheelParts.com - Truck Parts & Jeep Parts - Lift Kits, Winches, Tonneau Covers, Tires, Wheels, Bumpers, Performance ? 4 Wheel Parts

RockAuto - http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/j...catalog%2Fjeep

Also, please read this if you haven't done so already - lots of good information in here;

REQUIRED READING!!! New Member Introduction post & other important new member info.

Thanks and again, welcome aboard.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@Big Blue, thanks for the welcome and the links. I don't know if you've seen it or had anyone tell you but cheapest factory parts link is no longer accepting new customers.

·
Registered
480 Posts
My stereo upgrade is from the factory changer to a double-din dvd receiver and I’ve only seen 1 thread with info about that kind of swap. I know I can remove the bezel that reduces the stereo opening in the dash down to the silly little Mopar size but I’ve only found 1 off the shelf replacement for that bezel and it’s overpriced so I’ll probably be making my own bezel out of some ABS sheet. If anyone has tips,tricks, or links that will help with that project let me know. I’m not worried about the plastic fab, I build theater scenery for a living and the one thing we are really good at is being a little good at a lot of construction techniques and assorted materials uses.
I've done the swap myself, though I never made a thread about it. It's pretty straightforward; there's plenty of room in the dash on 06 models for a standard double din.

One thing you need to consider if you plan on making your own bezels is that the bezel is not only cosmetic, but also the mounting point for your head unit. The factory head unit mounts using four screws on the front, whereas double dins use screws on the sides.

There are also plenty of bezels that should fit for reasonable prices. For instance, this Scosche kit on Amazon is $13, and is the same kit I used on mine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've done the swap myself, though I never made a thread about it. It's pretty straightforward; there's plenty of room in the dash on 06 models for a standard double din.

One thing you need to consider if you plan on making your own bezels is that the bezel is not only cosmetic, but also the mounting point for your head unit. The factory head unit mounts using four screws on the front, whereas double dins use screws on the sides.

There are also plenty of bezels that should fit for reasonable prices..
Thanks for the warning, I meant the face piece that is attached to the dash panel, I ordered a Metra kit for the mounting and the little trim ring that comes with it. There's a product on amazon and ebay that does what I am planning on doing myself but they charge like $80 for it, my metra kit was $12 and the piece of ABS plastic was $4 and I actually think I'm going to be happier with the finished product my way, the "off the shelf" one makes the head unit sit really deep and has a pretty substantial plastic trim around it.

The attached pics show the product I'll be replicating but mine will cut in tighter to the actual stereo.

Attachments

·
Registered
480 Posts
Thanks for the warning, I meant the face piece that is attached to the dash panel, I ordered a Metra kit for the mounting and the little trim ring that comes with it. There's a product on amazon and ebay that does what I am planning on doing myself but they charge like $80 for it, my metra kit was $12 and the piece of ABS plastic was $4 and I actually think I'm going to be happier with the finished product my way, the "off the shelf" one makes the head unit sit really deep and has a pretty substantial plastic trim around it.

The attached pics show the product I'll be replicating but mine will cut in tighter to the actual stereo.
I see, you don't have the factory navigation system then. With the factory nav system all I needed was the trim ring and my head unit sits flush with the rest of the dash.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts