Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - All previous sat nav systems I have used allowed the speed to be shown which was useful for checking the speedo calibration on a level road. Is it possible to display the speed on an REJ? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Nope....that's why we have speedos on the dash.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Does anyone know who makes the unit? My Navus by Mopar is made by Garmin and it displays my speed. I use it to set the cruise control.:eek:rangehat:

·
Super Moderator
15,103 Posts
Does anyone know who makes the unit? My Navus by Mopar is made by Garmin and it displays my speed. I use it to set the cruise control.:eek:rangehat:
Alpine.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope....that's why we have speedos on the dash.

Wondered what that big round dial was for ;-) . Seriously, nice to know how much it over reads by. My CRV was reading about 76 at a true 70.

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Wondered what that big round dial was for ;-) . Seriously, nice to know how much it over reads by. My CRV was reading about 76 at a true 70.
Both of my previous commanders over read by 2mph on stock 17" rims and 4mph on the 20" Startech rims.

Our new one runs exactly the same as the above and we kept the 20" when we sold the last Hemi....gotta love these trucks!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Every Jeep I have ever owned has read over on the speedo. I havent paid attention to the Commander though as im usually doing the speed limit in order to try and save gas..

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have a 06 CRD XH Commander (Europe built) It has a Jeep Navus GPS unit made by Garmin. The speed shown on this model does not come from the GPS satellite system but from the car's electronic speedo system via the CPU. It over reads by approx 6%. Also these units only have a built in antenna and they regularly loose satellite reception. This is because the tin top off the Commander stops the reception so the glass screen is the only area where the GPS unit can pick up a signal. This means it gets very poor reception and only a few satellite fixes. If you take you Navus of lock to road it has no idea where its going for 40% of the time. Or go to the satellite screen and see how bad the problem is. In Built up areas or in forest locations it looses it completely. I now run a Garmin mounted on the dash and it it totally accurate with speed and never looses satellites.
You can fix the problem by buying an after market GPS signal booster and suddenly the reception bars on the unit jump into life.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts