Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Either I'm going crazy or my 87 and 30 relay switches are backwards.

I just purchased the Hella 1900 Light kit to mount on my roof rack and after wiring everything, my switch light turns on and off, but it doesn't turn on my auxiliary lights. In looking closely at the relay, I believe my wires that plug into the 87 and 30 outlets on the relay are backwards.

According to the wiring diagram that came with the lights, and everything else I've read online, the auxiliary lights should be plugged into the 87 outlet and the 12v power source (battery) should be plugged into the 30 outlet.

If you look at the attached pictures, the blue wire which should be attached to the battery is set up to connect into the 87 outlet, and the red wire, which should connect to the auxiliary lights is set up to connect into the 30 outlet. Isn't this backwards??????????

Somebody who has installed off road lights or understands electrical work, please help. Am I going crazy, or did I receive a relay with backwards wiring?

Attachments

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Either I'm going crazy or my 87 and 30 relay switches are backwards.

I just purchased the Hella 1900 Light kit to mount on my roof rack and after wiring everything, my switch light turns on and off, but it doesn't turn on my auxiliary lights. In looking closely at the relay, I believe my wires that plug into the 87 and 30 outlets on the relay are backwards.

According to the wiring diagram that came with the lights, and everything else I've read online, the auxiliary lights should be plugged into the 87 outlet and the 12v power source (battery) should be plugged into the 30 outlet.

If you look at the attached pictures, the blue wire which should be attached to the battery is set up to connect into the 87 outlet, and the red wire, which should connect to the auxiliary lights is set up to connect into the 30 outlet. Isn't this backwards??????????

Somebody who has installed off road lights or understands electrical work, please help. Am I going crazy, or did I receive a relay with backwards wiring?
1. Did you connect the blue wire directly to the battery? :icon_confused: or to the fuse panel? If so, is it a switched circuit or unswitched circuit (ignition key)?
2. How did you ground the lights? :icon_confused: Did you ground to the cross bar? The roof rack rails have a plastic base. You should use one of the bolts that attach the rail to the roof.
3. Since the primary circuit works (switch light illuminates - this energizes the relay), it has to be the way secondary circuit (to illuminate the lights) is wired.
4. It is possible that they gave you a bad relay, but I have never experienced one that was manufactured backwards.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your help. To answer your questions...

1. I connected the blue wire to the "+" terminal on the battery. I'm not sure if I understand if it's a switch circuit or not. The wiring kit came with a switch that I will use to turn the lights on and off.

2. I first tried grounding the lights to the cross bar, and when that didn't work, I grounded them to a bolt attached to the roof rack.

3. I agree, since the switch light turns on, I figured the problem must be with the blue and red wires, not the green and black wires.

4. That would seem weird to me too that the relay would be backwards, especially since the other relay for my second set of lights is also the same way. It's just baffaling that the wiring diagram clearly shows the blue wire to the 30 outlet, and the red wire to the 87 outlet, but to plug the adapter into the relay, the only way it will fit is with the blue wire going to the 87 outlet and the red wire to the 30 outlet.

I'm hesitant to cut the wires and switch them around and later realize I didn't need to do that. I'm just crossing my fingers that somebody can quickly pinpoint the problem and prove me wrong that the relay isn't backwards.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Make sure that you have a good ground with the bolt for the rail. Also, with the blue wire directly connected directly to the battery, there has to be an inline fuse or circuit breaker. If it is a fuse, make sure it did not blow during your installation. :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It turns out I wasn't crazy, I was right all along. Both relays that came with my two sets of lights were wired backwards. I cut and spliced the wires the otherway and "hualla", the lights turn on! They must have had a bad shipment of relays arrive that were wired backwards and there are probably a lot of people scratching their heads like me trying to figure out why the darn lights won't work. Very frustrating, but I'm glad they work now.

Thanks for your help dhh3. The rails on the rack don't act as a ground, so I did have to ground them to the bolts that attach the rack to the Jeep.

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
I'm glad everything worked out. I'd write a letter about the relays. I'm sure they would want to make it right for you. Take a picture when you can. We always like pictures! :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I actually sent Hella an email this morning informing them of the defect. I didn't ask for anything, but I wouldn't comlplain if the gave me some sort of reimbursement...

I'll take pictures soon and post them. They were a pain to wire, but well worth it.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I'm a little late to the party but, the 87 and 87a are your "lights" and 30 is always +12v.

I'm glad you have resolved this issue, electrical gremlins suck.

Waiting for pictures also.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry for the delay. I just got around to taking pictures of the lights. Unfortunately it's night time and the pictures are a little dark.

I'm really happy that I didn't need to drill any holes in the body of the Jeep, and I was able to install the switches in a way that if I ever want to sell the Jeep and remove the lights, there will be no visible signs where the switches were. I only drilled two screws for each switch inside the top of the cubby hole. The holes are there, but not visible from the driver's seat.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
Sorry for the delay. I just got around to taking pictures of the lights. Unfortunately it's night time and the pictures are a little dark.

I'm really happy that I didn't need to drill any holes in the body of the Jeep, and I was able to install the switches in a way that if I ever want to sell the Jeep and remove the lights, there will be no visible signs where the switches were. I only drilled two screws for each switch inside the top of the cubby hole. The holes are there, but not visible from the driver's seat.
Looks really good. Did you run the wires down the door jam? I think with the Mopar lights they have you drill a hole in the roof under the black plastic end cap of the chrome roof rail on the drivers side. The switches look look "factory"! Man, Commanders look awesome in black! :eek:rangehat:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks dhh3. Ya, I ran the wires down the door jam. I really didn't want to leave any permanant marks on the Commander. The rubber door jam holds the wires perfectly.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here are better pictures of the Jeep with the new lights. I also just removed the nerf bars. I like the new look.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts