Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the 5.7 Hemi. I have installed the Fumoto valve and it is great for oil changes. Now the only messy part is changing the oil filter. No I do not want anyone else changing my oil, even if they pay ME. So has anyone installed an oil filter relocation kit and how do you like it. Especially on a 5.7. Pictures a bonus.

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I searched other forums and saw some filter relocations on Dodge etc, but looking in the engine bay of the commander 5.7 it is very crowded in there by the filter. Or does anyone have a good way to prevent the mess of the filter removal? I saw things from tin foil to plastic bags to WW fluid bottle cut up.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Didn't realize it was hard with the hemi. Mine is super easy on the 3.7l, even has a little plastic channel to direct the oil down into a pan and keep the chassis clean.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Depending on where the end of the filter is, you may be able to punch a hole in it and mostly drain it before removing it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Didn't realize it was hard with the hemi. Mine is super easy on the 3.7l, even has a little plastic channel to direct the oil down into a pan and keep the chassis clean.
It isn't hard on the hemi, just messy. Yes there is a little plastic tray and spout under the filter that tries to direct it but it also drips all over some hoses and the frame. You can get a cap wrench on the end of the filter, but just to loosen it, again the easy part. I had to remove the shield under the engine to replace the oil pressure sending unit and the top side of that shield was just full of old drain oil from the filter area. All my older cars - about 15 of them never were this messy.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Oh, if you want to make oil changes easier get a fumoto oil drain valve. I don't need a single tool to change my oil, and since it's lifted I don't even need to get out a jack...

I'd see where people have installed their catch cans. That might give you a good idea. Hose routing would obviously be different, but location and brackets are probably helpful.

Cheap lowe's L bracket mounted on a strut bolt and some pipe clamps. Don'y have a fined pic but it looks good.
did my install a tad differently than some of the configs i have seen posted here.

first off i went with their black anodized finish to try to match much of the engine compartment color. also i decided to use their special billet strut-bar mounting bracket.

i clocked the elbows a little differently to make the install look a little better, also wrapped a bead of friction tape around the strut bar to protect the finish in case i remove the system.

i was impressed at the quality of the catch can and the coating and how well the bracket makes the install so quick and simple. now, let's see how much oil i catch from being ingested.

pix:

Here is what I did. I took a peace of 1" steal, bent it to a 90 with a vise and hammer, drilled a hole at each end, and painted it to match my Jeep. It was super easy and didn't cost me anything I did not already have. I used one of the bolts from the passenger side strut for the mounting location. Enjoy:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
OK found another solution, they make a No Mess Oil Filter Wrench by Eastwood - #13951 for the commander 5.7, also called large. It is a cap filter wrench which fits several sizes and has a flexible cover that looks like a corrugated plastic pipe to catch the oil mess. It sells for about $15. My next oil change will be in about 9 months and may get one to try. I had an idea to make something like it but see its already a product. Reviews on it are few and not too good. Cheaper and easier than moving the filter. One thought though is the hemi filter is not straight down but angled a fair amount. Also when wrangling the filter out it may tip too much and spill and be worse than without it. Has anyone else tried one?
Another thought is making that little drain pan already under the filter larger to better catch the oil and possibly a piece of tubing attached to route past the hoses and frame. How can that present drain pan be removed?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Ok I changed the oil again. I didn't buy one of those fancy wrenches above. The filter again was a messy operation. The oil drips down on the hoses and then on the left front of the rock shield under the engine and continues to drip on my garage floor for days. When done with the oil change I pulled the rock shield off and cleaned it up, 11 years of crud and oil on it. Then I cut a small section off the right front corner, that is where the oil from the filter drips into the top of the cover. Not worried about rocks the only time I off road is when I drive off the edge of the driveway. Here is a picture of the cut on the cover.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
What I do on my Mack dump truck is I punch a drain hole in a suitable place on the ( end or bottom ) of the filter and drain the oil before I take the filter off because with filters this large you can make a heck of a mess. If you use this method you might give the filter a little turn before you drain the oil, one time while changing the oil on the Mack I ran into a problem , on the previous oil change I got one filter a little to tight and after I drained the oil out of it all's the filter wanted to do was crush when I tried to take it off so I break them loose before I drain them now.

Mark

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oleblu, the punching a hole would work fine but on the Hemi it sits at an angle and not sure where it would go. The little drain pan under the filter catches most but it has the oil coming out of its little spout and then it drips on the hoses and runs down them and onto the rock shield and other places. I'll try to make a video of the mess next time I change the oil in about 7 months.

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I looked under the oil filter and see a possible plan to minimize the mess. Picture below shows the drain pan (splash guard) under the filter. The problem is the little spout on it does not extend out toward the front far enough so that the oil coming down the spout runs all over the hose under it and from that it drips along the hose and toward the rear. It drips off the hose and onto the top of the rock shield. I removed the bolt that holds the drain pan on, but there is something up by the filter still attached and the pan would not come off. I was going to work on the pan to modify it for better function but will settle for another plan. Thinking about possibly a hose over the spout to extend it away from the hose below. Another idea is to make a little shield from plastic or sheet metal to go over the hose that gets dripped on and insert it every time I remove the filter. Any other ideas?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think the splash guard will only come off if the oil filter is off and that one bolt is all that holds it on. Will play with it again in 7 months.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Sounds like you're getting it done. By punching a small hole in the filter to drain it a small stream of oil would be easier to manage and direct the oil flow while holding or using a cover for the p.p. hose's instead of taking the filter off and draing the whole 9 yds. I haven't changed the oil in my Commander yet because I'm a new owner and its not yet due for a change having said that I might change my mind once I get down there and change it but this is the method I use on my truck and it works great.

Mark

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mark, Another reason to not punch a hole in the filter is where it is located might make it next to impossible. I can hardly get my hand on the filter let alone a hammer and punch LOL See my post #12 with the picture of the drain spout - can you see the filter? - that was a straight shot toward it.
Do you have the HEMI? The other engines may be easier and less messy.

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Played some more - measured the drain spout and it is just under 1 1/2 inches wide. Found a 1 1/2 inch plumbing drain tube for sink drain extension I had laying around. It has one end a little larger (1 1/2"ID) then the other (may work like a small funnel)and slipped that end over the spout. Looks like any 1 1/2 inch ID tube or hose will work. Stuck on the spout and stays pretty well without holding. I cut it to 6 inches as a good length, but would work if only 3 inches long. Will only put on when removing filter. Cost $0. Will try in 7 months but looks promising.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The tube extension should help a bunch. Thinking about the mess again I realize that the problem is that I used to jack up the front of the Commander for some additional room underneath to move around. Recently I acquired a set of ramps that I use instead. Either of these things has the Commander sitting uphill and the little oil filter tube spout is then over the hoses. On level ground the spout would do fine and miss the hoses. Since I like the ramps I am stuck using the tube extension - my fault and not a design flaw :)

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Finally time to change the oil. Used the 1 1/2 tube and the filter drained great down the tube. But after the initial oil from loosening the filter - when removing the filter there was a bunch more oil which splattered a bunch from having to twist the filter out past all the hoses, but overall it was a success, only took 1 paper towel to clean up. A remote filter would still be the best.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts