Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had a remote starter put in thier XK yet?? Other than the Mopar unit?? I know that Code Alarm makes the Mopar unit and they sell one for a lot less that they claim will work. Just not sure if I'm ready to void my warranty 5 months in.:eek:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Jeeper64 said:
Has anyone had a remote starter put in thier XK yet?? Other than the Mopar unit?? I know that Code Alarm makes the Mopar unit and they sell one for a lot less that they claim will work. Just not sure if I'm ready to void my warranty 5 months in.:eek:
if you put a remote start in it voids the warranty? I was unaware of that. thanks for the heads up, I was going to put a remote start in..

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
RMiller05 said:
if you put a remote start in it voids the warranty? I was unaware of that. thanks for the heads up, I was going to put a remote start in..

It really won't void the warranty....It's just that if anything breaks due to the aftermarket install DC won't cover the cost of that repair.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Installed Diversified (?) Remote starter @ aftermarket dealer. $185 installed. Works great, but should have gotten the higher priced LCD remote. With the LCD, you can see that it has started rather than having to look outside.

·
Registered
161 Posts
nacnac said:
About how much for the code alarm?
I paid 280.00 Installed... each. But I will say you have to be a wiring expert (or atleast better than I wanted to try), it's not plug n play like the 'real' Mopar. The vendor is a friend of mine...I can check to see if he'll sell the kits seperately...any interest?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I want one installed by someone other than myself. I'll probably just check circuit city or best buy. My wife has one on her GC that we got from circuit city. It works great but it was like $350 because of the stupid chipped key. The dealer where I bought my commander wants $600 for a Mopar one. Way too high.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hemi05WJ said:
I paid 280.00 Installed... each. But I will say you have to be a wiring expert (or atleast better than I wanted to try), it's not plug n play like the 'real' Mopar. The vendor is a friend of mine...I can check to see if he'll sell the kits seperately...any interest?

I'm with you on this Hemi.....I'm not going to try it myself..I like easier projects like washing it!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had the dealer install mine, costs about $450, but I didn't want to mess around with the chipped keys and such, plus now the remote start is covered under my 3/36 warranty because it is listed as an accessory on my JC.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Jeeper64 said:
I found the Code Alarm CA440-AS for $239 installed...I think I'm going to go with that...I'll let you know how I make out
does that include the module to read the chipin the key? If so Good going on the price!!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hemi05WJ said:
does that include the module to read the chipin the key? If so Good going on the price!!
That's the price they gave me from soup to nuts!! I'll let you know if anything changes

·
Registered
36 Posts
I bought the factory kit for under $200 shipped to my door. I was going to install it over Christmas but got the flu. Now it's to cold here to work on it. The instructions that came with it look easy.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Jake06XK said:
I bought the factory kit for under $200 shipped to my door. I was going to install it over Christmas but got the flu. Now it's to cold here to work on it. The instructions that came with it look easy.
I'm very interested in how the install goes. Keep us posted.
I see a mopar remote start on ebay all the time but I dont want to buy it and not be able to install it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I installed the Viper 791XV in mine, works fantastic.

I used a device to interface with the CAN bus (http://canbuskit.com/cansl.php) that provided all of my sensor connections and even the trigger for the rear glass. . It really made it a much easer process and significantly cut the time it took.

·
Super Moderator
15,108 Posts
RedCommander said:
The factory remote start kit can be purchased at MoparSupercenter for $88.
That $88 kit is not all that you need. If you read the description of that kit it says you also need an installation kit. The installation kit is either $175.74 or $174.00 depending on which kit you need.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Funny thing...On page 16 of the 2007 Commander Owner's Manual, it says the following:
"The Sentry Key Immobilizer System is not compatible with remote starting systems. Use of these systems may result in vehicle starting problems and loss of security protection."

Not so?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts