Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm lost here. I don't know what to check. Remotes were both working fine. I got out to lock it after arriving at my destination...nothing. No buttons would work. Checked my second remote...nothing. Any ideas? Is there a fuse I can check? HELP!!

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Check your batteries

Place your first working key in the ignition. Turn it to "On," but don't crank the engine. Keep the key at the "On" setting for eight seconds, and then turn it back to "Off" and remove it.

Insert the second key into the ignition. Turn it to "On" and wait about 10 seconds. You will hear a chime, and a dash light labeled "SKIM" will illuminate.

Turn the key back to "Off" and remove it from the ignition.

Insert the key you want to program. Turn it to "On" and wait for the "SKIM" light to turn off. This takes approximately 20 seconds. Once the light turns off, the key is programmed.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Mine stopped working after a month of ownership (bought used)

Changed battery and worked for a few days. Then intermittent, now never.

Tried another new battery and not working still. I'm stumped ATM.

:sick:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Check your batteries

Place your first working key in the ignition. Turn it to "On," but don't crank the engine. Keep the key at the "On" setting for eight seconds, and then turn it back to "Off" and remove it.

Insert the second key into the ignition. Turn it to "On" and wait about 10 seconds. You will hear a chime, and a dash light labeled "SKIM" will illuminate.

Turn the key back to "Off" and remove it from the ignition.

Insert the key you want to program. Turn it to "On" and wait for the "SKIM" light to turn off. This takes approximately 20 seconds. Once the light turns off, the key is programmed.
Yeah, I read that in the manual. Problem is, neither key is working. Hence my problem. I guess I'll try the batteries. Also, forgot to mention, after I started it, it would shut off after two seconds, which would indicate "a wrong key" message. Didn't get any error messages. And I have no idea where the SKIM light should be or what it light looks like.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Funny thing happened today. Picked up some new batteries for both remotes. Installed them, tried 'em out. Nothing. So, then I disconnected the battery, grounded the positive, waited a few minutes and reconnected. Remotes still didn't work. Gave up, went inside. Came out later and decided to go for a ride. Came back from said ride and what'ya know. They both work now...:headbang:

My theory is that disconnecting the battery cleared whatever bug/error/fault that was causing the problem and by putting the key back in the ignition and going for a ride "reprogrammed" it. I can't accept the fact that something is intermittently failing. I just can't. Especially when I can't figure it out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts