Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I've owned the Jeep I've always wondered what it would look like without the plastic strips below the doors. The way I see it...they serve no purpose (except appearance), and decrease clearance.

So I finally mustered up the courage and pulled them off this weekend. Once you pull them off there's no going back b/c you have to break about 8 clips on each side that are directly attached to the plastic panels.

All I got to say is...I love it! I should have pulled the trigger a long time ago. If I decide to add rock rails in the future, I would want them to replace the plastic panels anyway.

If you've ever wondered what it would look like, please see my pictures below...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
they serve no purpose (except appearance)
Their purpose other than covering the pinch weld is to protect against rocks chipping up the rockers. Ever wonder why older vehicles have so much rust in the lower fender / rocker areas ? My advice is to get some kind of chip guard / bedliner coating on those rockers if you want to leave the moldings off.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hadn't thought of that. I'm going to head to my local auto store this week and see if I can pick up some rocker panel spray. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Wow that look great! Your jeep looks sick, love your roof rack with lights. Thats my next project.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nice job fellas. I put the spray on bedliner on my XJ and it worked great for the four years after I did it. I sold it to get my XK. I will be doing on the commander as well.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I broke part of one yesterday standing on it (guess I need to lose a little weight) and was wondering what it would look like without them. As soon as my wife gets back from the store, I'm taking both sides off!

·
Premium Member
12,579 Posts
I took mine off a while back and then recently painted the are with a spray can of bed liner from Krylon.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I took mine off a while back and then recently painted the are with a spray can of bed liner from Krylon.
I just finished pulling them off. Great idea on the bedliner. I'll have to pick some up this week.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Old thread but are you sure there's not a way to remove the plastic pieces without breaking clips? I kinda like how it looks but the pinch weld looks ugly but the jeep looks higher so I almost want to do it but I'm not convinced so that's why I want to e able to put them back on if needed.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
471 Posts
Do armadillo sliders cover all that up nice? I saw some pics but not from a low angle

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
1,993 Posts
The SA sliders cover the entire pinch weld. Click on my garage then click the link in the first post that says steel armadillo super sliders I have pics of it form underneath. Click HERE for the thread they were introduced and discussed in some more pics in there. Click my youtube link I have a video testing them by slamming them on a rock!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts