Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 3.7 cooling system air in system. I am getting heat but the coolant seems to backfire through the hoses and radiator. The last time the bottom hose popped off from the pressure. I changed the radiator and hoses, fan,and coolant temp sensor. 'the system still pops. Do I need to have the system vacuumed out to get all the air out, or is releasing pressure from the vent plug enough. Or do I have other problems. 'thanks

·
Registered
371 Posts
Are you sure that you don't have a blown head gasket? That seems like an awful lot of pressure.

The easiet way to remove air from the system is jack the front of the vehicle up as high as you can and run the engine. I have owned 3 Dodge Ram V10 powered trucks and have had to do this each time the system is opened. They never blew hoses off, the air just got stuck in the heater core and didn't let the system make heat.

In most modern trucks and SUV's, the heater core is the highest spot in the cooling system so if air gets trapped in there, you have to jack up the front so that it can travel up to the rad.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe head gasket, but it has been fine now for 3 days. I bled it again through the vent plug. It does drip out the tail pipe, but no coolant in the oil on dip stick. It seems to run fine. Would'nt the head gasket create a miss.

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Coolant should not drip out of the tailpipe. Condensation yes but no coolant. Put a piece of tape on your overflow bottle at the cold (after sitting overnight) and at the hot levels after driving and monitor levels from there. Make two reference points.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts