Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Limited, 5.7 Hemi, QD-II
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I've got a 2006 5.7 with 115,000 miles. I need to replace the headlights, which I believe means taking off the front bumper and grille. While those things are out of the way, what should I replace that are no-brainers (cheap and easy)? I'm thinking the radiator, water pump, thermostat, alternator? Anything else I should do? TIA

·
Premium Member
Dallas TX
576 Posts
um you wont be getting closer to any of that stuff. I'd get a bunch of the plastic pins since those will break when removed. may replace fog lights if you need to.
all the things you reference would be easily accessible when you remove the fans and radiator...
i did spray a little paint on the ac condenser

·
Registered
61 Posts
Removing the front bumper and grille is actually pretty easy, although you will need an assortment of the plastic fasteners to put them back on. I have done it a few times.

Removing the radiator is way, way more involved. I did that about two months ago when I found a small leak. There is a lot of stuff packed into the front of our Commanders, particularly with the V8s. It took me several weekends.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Removing the front bumper and grille is actually pretty easy, although you will need an assortment of the plastic fasteners to put them back on. I have done it a few times.

Removing the radiator is way, way more involved. I did that about two months ago when I found a small leak. There is a lot of stuff packed into the front of our Commanders, particularly with the V8s. It took me several weekends.
Thanks much for the advice. Are the fasteners you refer to the push style clips or are there others that I need to have on hand? Is the bumper a couple hour job?

·
Premium Member
Dallas TX
576 Posts
These are supposed to be direct replacements

but i find they are a little loose. you go to the 7mm and they are a little tight.. i use the 7's cause it gives a better hold on the materials.. the assortment i tagged above has several different options in one case.

its an easy afternoon project. just take your time to find all of the 'hidden' pushpins, and stand back to make sure the headlights are straight in the openings before you close them up. i'd set the grill back in before putting the bumper on to make sure everything is lined up... on mine the previous owner did not and it drives me crazy looking at it a little off.. its on the list of things to do..

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
These are supposed to be direct replacements

but i find they are a little loose. you go to the 7mm and they are a little tight.. i use the 7's cause it gives a better hold on the materials.. the assortment i tagged above has several different options in one case.

its an easy afternoon project. just take your time to find all of the 'hidden' pushpins, and stand back to make sure the headlights are straight in the openings before you close them up. i'd set the grill back in before putting the bumper on to make sure everything is lined up... on mine the previous owner did not and it drives me crazy looking at it a little off.. its on the list of things to do..
Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yes, is a few hour job, like an afternoon, including to replace the headlights. Will take longer your first time.

You can find the correct fasteners on any of the MOPAR parts websites. Just go to the picture of the bumper and grill area and they will be labeled with parts numbers. I have done that but also went on EBay/Amazon and bought an assortment of exterior fasteners, which is cheaper.

If others have worked on your vehicle, as you remove the bumper cover and grill you are likely to find many missing or incorrect fasteners. This is your chance to correct that so the grill and bumper cover are on more securely.

Reactions: Stircrayzy

·
Registered
2006 Commander Limited 4.7 127,000 miles
21 Posts
Hi all. I've got a 2006 5.7 with 115,000 miles. I need to replace the headlights, which I believe means taking off the front bumper and grille. While those things are out of the way, what should I replace that are no-brainers (cheap and easy)? I'm thinking the radiator, water pump, thermostat, alternator? Anything else I should do? TIA
Like you I had to replace the headlights on my Commander and thought what else can I do since the bumper was already off? This led me to fabricating plates to install recovery shackles and removing all my fender flares and back bumper to spray with Upol-Raptor bed liner. I had been thinking about making my XK 2 toned since I bought it and decided this was the time because it was half apart already. It was more work but by replacing my headlights, I got more things done at the same time from my wish list. I love the look of my Jeep now with the original light khaki paint but with dark bronze rough textured lower sections. I don't know how long it would have taken me to get around to customizing my XK if I did not have to replace the headlights!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the reply. I've been working on installing LED rings in my headlights, which has taken a lot longer than I thought it would. But just finished them this weekend, so I'll be installing them soon. Do you have pictures of your recovery shackle installation? I might be interested in doing that.
Like you I had to replace the headlights on my Commander and thought what else can I do since the bumper was already off? This led me to fabricating plates to install recovery shackles and removing all my fender flares and back bumper to spray with Upol-Raptor bed liner. I had been thinking about making my XK 2 toned since I bought it and decided this was the time because it was half apart already. It was more work but by replacing my headlights, I got more things done at the same time from my wish list. I love the look of my Jeep now with the original light khaki paint but with dark bronze rough textured lower sections. I don't know how long it would have taken me to get around to customizing my XK if I did not have to replace the headlights!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I've been working on installing LED rings in my headlights, which has taken a lot longer than I thought it would. But just finished them this weekend, so I'll be installing them soon. Do you have pictures of your recovery shackle installation? I might be interested in doing that.
Sorry I did not take any pictures while I had it apart. I made the mounting plates out of 3/16 galvanized sheet metal 5"X7"X2" basically a right triangle. I drilled out the plate to match up with 2 of the existing holes in the frame I think one was 3/8" and the other was 1/2" grade 8 bolts and used extra wide washers to sandwich the frame holes. I bought 3/4" bolt on shackle mounts from Amazon, replaced the bolts with grade 8 drilled 1 hole into the frame and the other bolt I used 1/4 inch flat bar to bridge the frame hole at that point. So the shackle mounts are bolted to the frame at 4 points, I think more than strong enough. I also trimmed the bumper opening so that I could more easily tighten and loosen the shackles without scraping my knuckles and keep the shackles from hitting the bumper. Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Bumper Alloy wheel

Attachments

·
Registered
06 _ 5.7L _QD2 _ 142k _ 5100s 2.5" _ 265x70x17 _ stock wheels
322 Posts
Probably easier to use the Steel Armadillo shackle mounts. I did, and it was super easy direct bolt on. Theres a post here somewhere where i documented...

you are likely to find many missing or incorrect fasteners
Thanks for the reminder, i broke quite a few last time i dropped my bumper off.🙄🙄😒

·
Registered
21 Posts
Maybe a little easier but this was just a might as well moment while the front bumper was off and I saw that it was not hard to fabricate something that was strong enough and all I had to do was order the shackle mounts from Amazon (2 days), then go local and buy the quality hardware (not always included in kits) and 2 hours total labor.. My fabrication cost me about $45 total (prefab $100+) I mostly will be using it as a tie down point for hauling long rooftop loads, aid in falling trees and emergency use. My XK is 2 wheel drive so no super duty recovery will ever be needed.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, this looks like a cool upgrade--seems like a no brainer when I have the bumper off.
Maybe a little easier but this was just a might as well moment while the front bumper was off and I saw that it was not hard to fabricate something that was strong enough and all I had to do was order the shackle mounts from Amazon (2 days), then go local and buy the quality hardware (not always included in kits) and 2 hours total labor.. My fabrication cost me about $45 total (prefab $100+) I mostly will be using it as a tie down point for hauling long rooftop loads, aid in falling trees and emergency use. My XK is 2 wheel drive so no super duty recovery will ever be needed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts