Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am starting to look into getting a Commander for the GF.
She is like me and doesnt like all the chrome.

I painted the JEEP logo on my JK with some bedliner, it was a pretty small job and easy enough to do,
But the Commander has quite a bit more chrome than the JK.

What would be the best way to get rid of all the chrome?
Does every part have a black replacement?
Or has anyone painted over their chrome?

I did do a search and found a couple of people who have painted/bed lined, wondering if it held up ok?

Thanks for any help you guys can give me.....

·
Super Moderator
15,094 Posts
If you get a Sport model instead of a Limited or Overland you won't have any chrome to get rid of.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I figured the Overland would have the most chrome, But of course that is the model we are looking at getting.

Thanks robby I will look into finding sport parts and see if the cost is worth either replacing or just trying to paint.

So does every piece have a replacement, or just certain parts?

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
You could probably find a member here who has the all black pieces who would trade you straight up for the chrome.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, that sounds like a good way to go.

There are certain pieces I am wondering about....Door handles? The back Chrome panel with Jeep logo(Not sure if it can even be removed).

I appreciate the help and comments, I would know more if I actually had a Commander, but just trying to get a feel of which way I will be going, so when we do get one I will be ready....

·
Super Moderator
15,094 Posts
Yea, that sounds like a good way to go.

There are certain pieces I am wondering about....Door handles? The back Chrome panel with Jeep logo(Not sure if it can even be removed).

I appreciate the help and comments, I would know more if I actually had a Commander, but just trying to get a feel of which way I will be going, so when we do get one I will be ready....
Door handles might be a problem -- not sure how they are done at the factory. If they just have a chrome cover you may be able to remove it. The lift gate handle can be removed and replaced with a black one but you have to remove the inside liftgate panel.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
My door handles match the body color on my 07 Limited. Not sure what they are doing now with newer models. I know of one member (probably there are more) who replaced his door handles with chrome. Some members have painted the wheels but they weren't the chrome clad style I have on my Commander.

If you end up replacing the chrome lift gate handle cover, let me know I scraped mine up pretty bad.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hey chumpmann. If you get the Jeep and you want to replace all the chrome with black, let me know. I'd be willing to trade all my black molding pieces for your chrome ones (and will even take the chrome roof rack trim if you don't want it). Just wanted to let you know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts