Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, i've come to the conclusion that i'm probably better off just removing the third row seat to gain some extra space. I have never had to use the thing and the extra space would be much appreciated by the wife.

did a quick search and didnt see a thread on this. all the googling i did pointed me to how-to's with no pics or anything. just wondering if there is a detailed explanation.

anyone on here done this?

·
Banned
389 Posts
I have, its a 5 minute job. Just remove the hold down tabs (pull up and to the side) on the jack storage compartment. Remove jack compartment. Then by hand (work at it from one or the other side by getting a finger under it and slightly pulling) pull up the trim piece (clips to the floor, your hatch lock mechanism is in the center of it). Then with a 10 mm. socket remove the 4 hold down bolts you'll see under that, then take off the trim piece. Fold your 3rd row seats flat. You will see 1 bolt (center) and 3 nuts (1 center, one left, one right) that holds the seat bracketry to the floor. Remove these with an 18 mm. socket (I recommend using 1/2 drive on these). Find a friend to help you lift the 100 lb. seat out of the rear of your vehicle. Replace jack compartment. Replace trim piece. Your done. Took me 5 min. and and extra pair of hands to help lift out the seat. Hope that helps! I have pics of the process if you PM me your email I'll send them if you need more help.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
was removing the seats worth it? space wise? does it look okay? im hoping it doesnt look hillbilly without the seats

·
Banned
1,406 Posts
was removing the seats worth it? space wise? does it look okay? im hoping it doesnt look hillbilly without the seats
I think, starting in 08, that the third row was not in one of the option packages for the Sport. There was a rubber mat on the floor, in place of the third row seats, and the side panels were longer to cover the gap to the floor. Since there was no third row, there would be no third row heat on the passenger side, and thus there was a little more room. I saw one and thought it a little odd, because the second row stayed the same when folded, so the load floor was not flat! There are threads where members have built boxes, etc, to fill up the hole where the seats were. :eek:rangehat:

·
Banned
389 Posts
Well an old drag racing tip is: Anytime you can remove 100 lbs. from your vehicle you gain .08 seconds thru the 1/4 mi. I've heard, but don't know from measured experience that you also save approx. 1-2% in gas for every 100 lbs. you lose off a vehicle (but I am not sure of other variables so this may or may not be true). If you take them out like I did (I sent the pics to your email you gave me in the PM) you will gain a large amount of room. I did remove mine mainly to haul flats of water easily as well as giving me more room for my large totes I use to transfer paintball equipment to and from the woods and other sites we play in. If other people here are interested in seeing my pics (of the removal and room in the cargo area) just send me an email and I'll post them here in my album for all to see. I'm pretty picky about my rides both on maintenance and appearance (cleanliness) and I do not think it looks hillbilly at all.

·
Banned
389 Posts
No problem, glad to help ya out. Good luck in the removal, your gonna find its a very quick and easy thing to do.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the wife will be happy to have some extra room too. you throw a stoller back there and 40% of your cargo space is gone.

·
Banned
389 Posts
Anything that makes the wife happy is a bonus! :)

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
I removed my third row too- glad I did.

If you look along the left and right sides of the cargo area there a might be a "molded groove" located just above the third row when it is folded down.

When camping I slide three 3/4" boards in the groove and set up the twin size air mattress and sleep in the XK.

When the last board is slid a little bit further forward past the edge of the jack storage box it drops down and levels out the cargo area. Otherwise I just leave it open since it is carpeted:

·
Banned
389 Posts
I offered him my seats Waltah (Slate Gray color, fabric)...I know for sure I'll never be putting mine back in, when I eventually sell the seats I am going to complete the back by switching over the trim panel pieces and the floor mat to a standard non-3rd seat look.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yea, not sure mine would help anyways as i havent seen the color combo much. it's 2 tone leather tan with green/grey inserts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well an old drag racing tip is: Anytime you can remove 100 lbs. from your vehicle you gain .08 seconds thru the 1/4 mi. I've heard, but don't know from measured experience that you also save approx. 1-2% in gas for every 100 lbs. you lose off a vehicle (but I am not sure of other variables so this may or may not be true). If you take them out like I did (I sent the pics to your email you gave me in the PM) you will gain a large amount of room. I did remove mine mainly to haul flats of water easily as well as giving me more room for my large totes I use to transfer paintball equipment to and from the woods and other sites we play in. If other people here are interested in seeing my pics (of the removal and room in the cargo area) just send me an email and I'll post them here in my album for all to see. I'm pretty picky about my rides both on maintenance and appearance (cleanliness) and I do not think it looks hillbilly at all.
100 pounds = 45-odd kilos. Should I suggest to wife that she could take steps to improve fuel consumption?

·
Banned
389 Posts
Boydie if you do so please don't tell her I gave you the tip! After she steam rolls over you I don't want her out and about trying to find the guy who gave ya the tip on weight...that's funny man, I don't care who ya are!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
operation 3rd row delete is officially a success.

wife went shopping with the kiddo today and said there is a ton more room for shopping...

careful what you wish for :)

·
Banned
389 Posts
Waltah...three cheers for successful operations!!! Hip-hip-hoorah! Also....what makes the wife happy makes us happy too right?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts