Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK the Badlands "purgatory" trail proved to be tougher then my Get Lost 4 x 4 rock rails. I think the passenger side rail can be heated and bent back into shape. The drivers side may not be salvageable. Here a some pictures of the damage - I would like some feedback and honest opinions from other members on choices. These were not exactly cheap and I hesitate to just toss them. On the other hand if I do reuse them they will need some reinforcement to overcome some obvious design flaws that lead to this failure.

You can see here that the front is bent significantly upward behind the drivers side tire. Unfortunately there was no reinforcement here in the original design. I could extend the pinch weld reinforcement up to the tire and possibly double up on the thickness of this reinforcement.

Another View

Close up on the hit

Damage to the XK

Someone pointed out to me that the Rocky Road Rock Sliders may be a better choice due to the direct tie in to the frame. But they are $400 that I do now want to spend right now. Are they fixable? Toss them? Mod them? Sell them as is for $150 and put toward a better designed pair? What do you guys think? And if these failed this drastically with a moderate hit, what can I expect from different vendors version?

·
2,248 Posts
I don't think that any side rails are indestructable. I look at them as sacrificial to protect your sheet metal and offer some peace of mind and metal between you and the rocks. What might have been the damage to a stock vehicle and what cost the body work. There is always a trade off in design between not costing too much and meeting the needs. Maybe the more expensive ones will take the impact better, however I do not think that any of the manufactures will tell you that they will not get damaged on off road use. By the way, I did have the Rocky Road Sliders and they did bend a little also. I gave mine to Bjamrow when I got the nerf bars for Lee. You might ask him for his opinion. Lee wanted something to make it easier to get in the Commander.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Don't get me wrong. I don't expect anything to be indestructable. In this case it when it failed it caused damage to the vehicle as well. Don't Rock Road sliders come with a warranty that if they ever bend they will replace them? I'm just looking for comparison. I was also curious about getlost4x4's response since [email protected] was looking for contact information a couple of days ago.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
They held up pretty good considering the weight that the Commander throws around. I would look to Bob Crow over at On and Off Road 4x4 in Oberlin for his opinion. Make sure you take them with you. I've seen his work and it is solid.

Without seeing them first hand it may be hard to give good advice.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
What did getlost4x4 say about it? Any warranty?

Umm - not much. No warranty. I was kind of surprised by the response I received from Ross... He did offer to build me a different version (the version he has on his XK) at his cost. I am waiting on the pricing right now.

I understand that nothing is indestructible and I was not expecting them to be. I do expect them to be comparable in quality and functionality to a version that is sold by a different vendor. In fact the rock rails on the XK in front of me did not encounter any major damage on the exact same trail. In fact this XK was in front of me and I was following his line on this trail.

Overall I have an issue with a product that was not designed properly for the task it was advertised to do. The bending of the rail caused damage to the very thing they were designed to protect.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Umm - not much. No warranty. I was kind of surprised by the response I received from Ross... He did offer to build me a different version (the version he has on his XK) at his cost. I am waiting on the pricing right now.

I understand that nothing is indestructible and I was not expecting them to be. I do expect them to be comparable in quality and functionality to a version that is sold by a different vendor. In fact the rock rails on the XK in front of me did not encounter any major damage on the exact same trail. In fact this XK was in front of me and I was following his line on this trail.

Overall I have an issue with a product that was not designed properly for the task it was advertised to do. The bending of the rail caused damage to the very thing they were designed to protect.
I understand where you are coming from. Thats the main reason why I have not bought a pair of rock sliders for the XK. I have yet to see a brand that actually held up for there intended purpose.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I agree that no off road designed part is meant to last forever and the XK is a hard vehicle to design any part for. I guess that is why they call it trail armor, It is meant to take the hit and not the vulnerable stuff. On the other hand, I am surprised that they failed so badly considering there was no roll over or any other catastrophe involved. I think that with some work they could be fixed and made better. That is the thing with Jeeps, for every day of wheeling there are weeks of repairs. Password, If you have no interest in trying to fix them I would not mind taking them off your hands but I would like to see a couple more pics and get some more details. PM me if you are interested

·
Premium Member
12,579 Posts
I would try to repair them if possible, I have hit some rocks with my Rocky Road sliders and the only damage was scrapes to the paint.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
If you would like to fix them and make them stronger maybe Ross can send you some brackets or something to make them more durable after you straighten them out.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Or you can just send them to me if you dont want them. Im sure I can figure something out with them!

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
Or you can just send them to me if you dont want them. Im sure I can figure something out with them!
HEY! I called them first....maybe

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
I was talking to Ross earlier about some brackets to go to the frame and provide additional support. I know he was looking into some designs for them.

On my last trip, I slid sideways down a slope into some rocks and the GL4x4 rails saved my door and body - but that was a horizontal hit, not a vertical one. It didn't ding the rails, but it wouldn't have been pretty on the Jeep.

I think if there were some frame brackets, it would help on the vertical force.

Also, for the OP, I would recommend going to a metal-works place and seeing what they can do. We have one here in Missoula that I think would be able to do something for it, but I haven't talked to them about reinforcements yet.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I don't think that any side rails are indestructable. I look at them as sacrificial to protect your sheet metal and offer some peace of mind and metal between you and the rocks. What might have been the damage to a stock vehicle and what cost the body work. There is always a trade off in design between not costing too much and meeting the needs. Maybe the more expensive ones will take the impact better, however I do not think that any of the manufactures will tell you that they will not get damaged on off road use. By the way, I did have the Rocky Road Sliders and they did bend a little also. I gave mine to Bjamrow when I got the nerf bars for Lee. You might ask him for his opinion. Lee wanted something to make it easier to get in the Commander.
The ones I got from Huey were actually the 4xGuard rails, and like he said, they have a "bend" in them, but it only appears to be cosmetic right now. I haven't added any more beauty marks to them so I can't speak personally about their durability.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I thought the Rock Roads has a life time no bend warranty? I quote:
Our Rockrails can handle anything and everything you can throw at them and are guaranteed for life against denting or bending.
Have you contacted them and let them know they took a hit and bent?

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I thought the Rock Roads has a life time no bend warranty?
I believe you are correct. I think Ubercommander made use of the warranty when he bent his so they replaced it and also threw in a diff protector.....If I remember correctly.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts