Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and found people replacing the entire 3rd brake light unit, but nothing about anyone actually attempting to fix them. I have some experience with LED projects, so I'm fairly sure that the circuit board in the unit could be easily repaired. You would have to cut the back part of the light open to get to the board, but I think it is worth a shot since you would otherwise trash the light anyway. Has anyone attempted this? If not, I will try it before I spend the $80 on a new one.

(If this should be in the Electronics section please move it there or tell me to move it.)

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I remember there being a post on the forum ref the third brake light and someone fixing it. I did have to replace mine.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
It is somewhat of a sealed unit and has to be replaced. That being said, I was able to get mine working again by playing with the contacts, which would only last so long. If you could get apart you could probably repair it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
After a good bit of searching, this looks like the most recent brake light reapir thread.
Ive tried wiggling, cleaning, nudging, shimming and smacking my 3rd brake light to keep it working, and in lieu of getting the BFH out, i drilled a bunch of holes and installed some cheap single LEDs, as my last ditch attempt at function. I can take a pic of this once i pull it to put in a replacement. Those china specials just arent bright enough, and i just dont feel like cutting out the OEM board and adding strip lights to keep up this charade. So i went searching for aftermarket replacements, not satisfied with the OEM reputation. Dorman does have a direct replacement around $60, and decent reviews, but not great.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FQ0Q8U0/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_aE4jEb8PYAFEP
I found some better looking $50 smoked/clear options on Ebay, but though they are listed as direct replacements, every single one i looked at is missing the washer nozzle !! WTF?? Why is that ?
So im going out on a limb here, and ordered one, plus will add an aftermarket washer nozzle strategically drilled through the assy. Well thats the plan at least.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
So four years ago I replaced mine and have no problem since. Stircrayzy glad to see you taking a new approach.. When I looked at mine I thought there was a broken connection but my old fingers were not up to tearing a part the unit apart.. Good to see you are taking a closer look and thanks for all your other contributions to the forum.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Well i cracked the old one prying it out,(for the third time) granted, being 15 degrees may have had something to do with it.
3rd brake light overhaul by J F
Here is the shot of the leds i stuck into the bottom of the stock assy. I lined them up with the internal reflector pockets. If these were brighter they probably wouldve been fine. Also, the ones i used were preset flashers, so it was a pretty unique effect i hoped would attract some attention.
3rd brake light overhaul by J F

3rd brake light overhaul by J F, on Flickr

·
Registered
147 Posts
The Ebay special didnt fit, in spite of the "direct replacement" claim. See below green areas that needed to be removed for install.
20200123_162430 by J F, on Flickr
Also note that it doesnt sit flush to the body (side view below). Not sure yet how to remedy this just yet. may need a couple beers, and sleep on it.

20200123_082343 by J F, on Flickr

Im ok with the look because the jeep is brown, and goes ok with the smoked color, but may need to do the taillights to match. Theyre getting a lot of condensation anyway.
2020-01-23_04-31-33 by J F, on Flickr

1 - 8 of 8 Posts