Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. New to the forum. I have an 06 Commander with 110K miles. Never gone off road; never used to tow. When going over bumps and holes, the hits feel pretty rough. I am considering replacing the shocks/struts, but after reading through a few pages of this discussion, I haven't quite found the answer to my questions:

1. Should front/rear be replaced simultaneously.
2. What are the torque specs for the bolts that need to be removed?
3. Any recommendations on brands? 99% of the time this vehicle will be driven on the highway. There is a small chance in the future that I would want to pull a motorcycle trailer with one bike.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

George

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
You don't have to do both the front and rear at the same time. If your not lifting your jeep any stock replacement will be fine. If you plan on lifting it and need new struts/shocks anyways you might as well buy the Old Man Emu lift. It comes with all 4 new lifted coils and new struts/shocks.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
George -
With that mileage, I wouldn't hesitate to replace struts and shocks now, but like 07 said, they don't have to be done at the same time. The struts aren't something you can do yourself without a strut compressor, I'd leave that to a shop unless you're used to doing this kind of maintenance on your vehicles. The shocks on the rear are 70 ft/lbs top, 85 ft/lbs bottom. OEM stuff is good, but if you want to upgrade, Bilstein makes a great product. As to towing, you probably would not notice a difference with just a motorcycle trailer. The XK is designed to tow a lot more than that, so you'll be fine regardless of what brand of shock/strut you choose.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts