Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soooooo I know this may be a stupid question/situation and everything, forgive me....I know nothing about fixing tires.

I took a road trip this weekend, lo and behold...I ended up with a flat tire. (the front right one). We looked at it and it was a "tear" in it....so we put the spare on. I have an appointment to get the tire looked at and fixed Wednesday. But I'm wondering, will they repair or replace it? Plus, when this happens, do they replace the wheel too or just the tire??

·
2,248 Posts
If the tire has a "Tear" in it that you can see if will probably need to be replaced. The tire shop will let you know if it is safe to repair. They usually repair punctures but a tear might be more than can be safely patched. Unless you drove on the tire for quite a distance or hit a curb, your wheel should be fine. Again they can check the wheel and be sure that it is not bent or damaged. Usually a flat will not damage the wheel.

Good luck,

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
If its a tear, you will have to replace it, and if you took you XK to discount tires to purchase warranty on your existing tires it will only cost you about $18.00

·
Registered
862 Posts
Sounds like you hit a sharp rock. It's history. Most tire shops won't repair a tire if there's a small hole in the sidewall either... the flexing won't hold a patch.

If the tear is in the tread, then it's too big to safely patch.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To be honest guys, I just glanced at it while my boyfriend did the dirty work. I believe it may be a "puncture" instead of a "tear".

·
Registered
862 Posts
The only way to know is to take the tire to a good tire shop such as Les Schwab. They'll tell you if it can be repaired. Usually, anything much over a quarter inch is too big to patch. They'll know when they take the tire off and can see inside of it.

I mention a good tire shop rather than a dealer or discount shop as they'll be more into selling you tires than being honest. That's why I mentioned Les Schwab.

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My task is complete! It was way more simple than I thought it would be. I went to Wal Mart tires yesterday (just to try it) and they fixed it in no time, I didn't have to replace the tire and the tire repair only cost $9.50. :)

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
It's was only flat on the bottom, so just drive on the top of the tire. Someone had to say it.

Glad it all worked out for ya.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts