Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would share this about the sway bar bushings..

I knew this was a problem with the XK and my dealer stopped doing warranty work because the BIGWIGS are shutting them down.. I didnt want to go tto a different dealer for this because they never gave me any crap about my lift...

Anywho..

I spent the 30.00 my self and teh 1/2 hour of work and WOW!!

What a difference!! If any of you are having front suspension noise.. REPLACE YOUR BUSHINGS!!! You wont be sorry...

Mine were completely cracked and dry rot

Milk

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
I have notices some creaking noise coming from the front end recently when I start off after the XK has sat for a while I think some bushings are going to be in order soon.

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Which bushings did you replace?

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
He mentioned the sway bar bushings, so Id imagine he's refering to the end links.

·
2,248 Posts
I do not know what the bushings are made of. I do know that there are "Poly" bushings available for most vehicles to tighten up the suspension compared to the old style hard rubber bushings. They have them for Wranglers at most any 4 wheel drive shop.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
I do not know what the bushings are made of. I do know that there are "Poly" bushings available for most vehicles to tighten up the suspension compared to the old style hard rubber bushings. They have them for Wranglers at most any 4 wheel drive shop.
You dont want to tighten up the suspension to much though if you are using the vehicle for off roading.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Just thought I would share this about the sway bar bushings..

I knew this was a problem with the XK and my dealer stopped doing warranty work because the BIGWIGS are shutting them down.. I didnt want to go tto a different dealer for this because they never gave me any crap about my lift...

Anywho..

I spent the 30.00 my self and teh 1/2 hour of work and WOW!!

What a difference!! If any of you are having front suspension noise.. REPLACE YOUR BUSHINGS!!! You wont be sorry...

Mine were completely cracked and dry rot

Milk

Is there any way you could take a picture of the underside of your truck and the bushings you changed?

Thanks

·
Supporting Vendor
28 Posts
I had the same problem in the past with my control arm bushings, they were squeaking. Finally replaced them and the noise is gone.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sorry i did not get back sooner.

I replaced the sway bar bushings, not the end links.

The bushings are on the uni-frame just under the front cowl.

4 bolts and 1/2 hour of fun and your done.

Are the end links giving guys trouble too?? I still have a little noise and I was thinking the end links might be bad too...

One thing I noticed on the new bushings is the split to get it over the sway bar is now on the opposite side of the bushing.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Ill probablly replace these bushings this summer when I install some new struts.

·
Registered
602 Posts
swaybar and end link bushings

OK. So I find them on J.C. Whitney for a great price--for our Commanders, but they come in different sizes??? HUH? I'd like to order asap, but there are like 20 different sizes for the same swaybar and end links??? Which ones/part #'s do we need?

http://www.jcwhitney.com/DEE-ENGINEERING-POLYURETHANE-SWAY-BAR-BUSHINGS/GP_2005918_N_111+2006+200732443+600003409_10101.jcw

http://www.jcwhitney.com/DEE-ENGINEERING-POLYURETHANE-END-LINK-BUSHINGS/GP_2005914_N_111+2006+200732443+600003409_10101.jcw

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
OK. So I find them on J.C. Whitney for a great price--for our Commanders, but they come in different sizes??? HUH? I'd like to order asap, but there are like 20 different sizes for the same swaybar and end links??? Which ones/part #'s do we need?
Measure the thickness of your sway bars and then order the bushing for that size sway bar/end link.

·
Registered
602 Posts
While I was having my Bilstien struts installed the tech showed my how BAD my swaybar bushings were. He could literally MOVE the swaybar left to right about an eighth of and inch by HAND. Looks like the bushings are next on the list. I can't find replacement poly bushings anywhere. They aren't expensive really, from the stealer, but I would like them to last more than 2 years here in Vegas. Didn't Huey, or someone, find poly replacements for the front? Also, while they are down there---are there replacement bigger/stronger end links with poly bushings?
Thanks guys.

UPDATE: Been reading on GC boards that they hate the poly bushings. They say they are noisy as hell after only a few weeks.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Got my bushings and both end links changed out today. I thought there was a new part # for the bushings/brackets because they have caused so many problems? I have only the bushings (not brackets) replaced....looks just like the original part #----do I need to go back?

·
Banned
71 Posts
This Sounds Like A Good Installation Guide..

Next time try to grab a step by step installation of the whole process.. and don't forget to take some pics while your doing it..

Seems many of us are simply creating on the fly sort of speak.. We need to team up to offer some quick install items and document the whole thing and post it here or at another site..

I Personally are planing to document some easy installs I and my wife can do.. But if I get a chance.. I can head over to Midas and the guys there will allow me into the shop area and take pics and this wont void my warranty.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Got my bushings and both end links changed out today. I thought there was a new part # for the bushings/brackets because they have caused so many problems? I have only the bushings (not brackets) replaced....looks just like the original part #----do I need to go back?
Well, they sent the correct bushings over, which have a center bead. Thing is, there are new brackets for those newer bushings that have a groove in them that the bead sits in---which stops the bushing from moving left to right any. They installed my old "grooveless" brackets on top of the new bushings. They are sending over the parts hopefully tomorrow, but being the weekend, I may have to wait till Monday.

NOW----I have brand new Bilsteins on the front, brand new bushings (and soon to be brackets) and brand new end links. Thing is, I still here a "loose" popping/knocking a little when I go over imperfections in the road. They told me one of my control arm bushings was sagging and cracked a little. Also, my intermediate shaft is really bad. Feels like my steering wheel will come off in my hands when I hit a manhole cover, let alone anything else. Even the little reflectors that separate traffic lanes make my steering wheel rattle its ass off. That should be getting replaced next week sometime. Thing is, I dunno if they are gonna do the control arm under warranty, which sucks.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
It sounds like you have some issues to work out. I take it your XK isnt covered under warranty anymore?

·
Registered
602 Posts
It sounds like you have some issues to work out. I take it your XK isnt covered under warranty anymore?
Not the original warranty, but I have the Maxcare warranty from Carmax. They replaced both end links, my bushings (and now brackets) and are actually paying me back for the struts I just bought. They DON'T cover shocks, but they do struts----no b.s. Thing is---this is how they are screwing me----They won't cover everything at once even though it was all diagnosed at once. That way for ea. claim I have to give them a deductable.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
That deductable deal is aggravating.
Factory plans are always one deductable per repair VISIT.
Aftermarket plans are one deductable for each FAILURE.
Farging bastages! uh......I don't think thats swearing, is it?

One more example of how the aftermarket plans operate.

Why do you think the control arm bushings would be nixed?

Rob

·
Registered
602 Posts
That deductable deal is aggravating.
Factory plans are always one deductable per repair VISIT.
Aftermarket plans are one deductable for each FAILURE.
Farging bastages! uh......I don't think thats swearing, is it?

One more example of how the aftermarket plans operate.

Why do you think the control arm bushings would be nixed?

Rob
By nixed---do you mean why do I think they didn't want to cover it? My opinion is because you can't just replcae the bushing, but have to replace the whole thing---like 800 bucks. They also, said that just because it is visibly cracked and sagging doesn't mean it has FAILED. So umm, I guess it has to fall off and I have to wind up in a wreck with the drive shaft rectally inserted and THEN THAT would constitute failure??
P.S. I caught the "Roman Maroni" line, haha. I hadn't seen Johnny Dangerously in decades, lol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts