Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive always like the look of the Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Edition. Since my Commander is white with black trim, I figured Id change the hood emblem for a black one. I used a satin black part# 68309841AA for a 2016-2018 Grand Cherokee.

I didnt realize when I bought it that it was a little larger but it just fits. I waited for a very hot day, made a "box" around the existing emblem with painter's tape. Had to make the box a little larger to give it extra room for the larger emblem. I drew a small line on the hood between the 2 "e" s with a pencil. Then I used a plastic pry bar, for trim removal, to get under the existing letters and pry them up so i could peel them off. I peeled off as much of the old adhesive as I could. Once I had all the letters off, I used Bug & Tar remover to remove any remaining adhesive. Then I taped up the pencil line and used Mequiar's Scratch X to really get the area clean from any wax. After that I centered the new emblem with the 2 "e" s around the pencil mark and mounted it to the hood applying enough pressure to slightly bend the emblem to conform to the slight curve in the hood. Im really happy with the way it came out.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ive always like the look of the Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Edition. Since my Commander is white with black trim, I figured Id change the hood emblem for a black one. I used a satin black part# 68309841AA for a 2016-2018 Grand Cherokee.

I didnt realize when I bought it that it was a little larger but it just fits. I waited for a very hot day, made a "box" around the existing emblem with painter's tape. Had to make the box a little larger to give it extra room for the larger emblem. I drew a small line on the hood between the 2 "e" s with a pencil. Then I used a plastic pry bar, for trim removal, to get under the existing letters and pry them up so i could peel them off. I peeled off as much of the old adhesive as I could. Once I had all the letters off, I used Bug & Tar remover to remove any remaining adhesive. Then I taped up the pencil line and used Mequiar's Scratch X to really get the area clean from any wax. After that I centered the new emblem with the 2 "e" s around the pencil mark and mounted it to the hood applying enough pressure to slightly bend the emblem to conform to the slight curve in the hood. Im really happy with the way it came out.
Very nice! I need to do this for mine!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks. For the back "Jeep" and "4x4" emblems I went with the metallic graphite. I'll have to post a picture.
Nice job!! Looks awesome.

Just wondering where you picked up the Jeep and 4x4 emblems from? I never really trust eBay unless it's a legit recommendation. I'm looking to do the same emblem-swap to mine, and would like to follow your example.

·
Administrator
15,211 Posts
Nice job!! Looks awesome.

Just wondering where you picked up the Jeep and 4x4 emblems from? I never really trust eBay unless it's a legit recommendation. I'm looking to do the same emblem-swap to mine, and would like to follow your example.
If you read the first post in this thread he gives you the part number -- just google it.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought the Granite Crystal emblems I used on the back from eBay but made sure they were genuine Mopar. The Jeep emblem is # 68283329AA for a 2016-2018 Wrangler. The 4x4 emblem is # 68207205AA for 2014-2020 Jeep Cherokee. Both are the same size as what was on the Commander unlike the satin black I used on the hood which was a little larger. I'll take a picture sometime today of them on the vehicle. It supposed to warm up a bit here in Massachusetts.

$_57.JPG s-l1600.jpg

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bought the Granite Crystal emblems I used on the back from eBay but made sure they were genuine Mopar. The Jeep emblem is # 68283329AA for a 2016-2018 Wrangler. The 4x4 emblem is # 68207205AA for 2014-2020 Jeep Cherokee. Both are the same size as what was on the Commander unlike the satin black I used on the hood which was a little larger. I'll take a picture sometime today of them on the vehicle. It supposed to warm up a bit here in Massachusetts.

View attachment 40864 View attachment 40865
Awesome, thanks very much. Appreciate the pics. Will be purchasing these emblems on the weekend. Did you use your own glue, or are there adhesive strips on the back? Cheers!

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome, thanks very much. Appreciate the pics. Will be purchasing these emblems on the weekend. Did you use your own glue, or are there adhesive strips on the back? Cheers!
They are self adhesive. You apply it as one even though they are separate letters, then you remove the top strip.

·
Registered
183 Posts
really nice....i've always loved the look of white vehicles with all black accents

Reactions: msnowdon

·
Administrator
6,240 Posts
Changed the black emblem I put on the hood for the graphite to match the rest.
View attachment 41146
Pretty cool @msnowdon, how hard was it to remove the old emblems?

These look really good on your XK with the white body color as the background;

I'm not sure these emblems would stand out enough (to my liking) on a darker body color like mine.

But again, very nice work.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@Big Blue , It wasn't hard. I waited to around 5pm after the Jeep has been sitting in the sun all day. Then I used a plastic trim tool to get underneath the letters and pry them off one at a time. I then used Meguiar's Scratch X to remove any remaining residue to give it a nice clean surface to adhere to.

·
Administrator
6,240 Posts
@Big Blue , It wasn't hard. I waited to around 5pm after the Jeep has been sitting in the sun all day. Then I used a plastic trim tool to get underneath the letters and pry them off one at a time. I then used Meguiar's Scratch X to remove any remaining residue to give it a nice clean surface to adhere to.
I gotcha, thanks for explaining the technique.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts