Jeep Commander Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Commander Sport 3.7L 2WD
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My only power outlet that's has ever worked is lower right. Always on. I plugged a Dewalt inverter - nothing major. Single 120 plug and 2 USB plugs. Now it's dead. Checked all fuses, relays in all 3 locations. I probably need to pull front panel and replace sockets. But....

Has anyone installed an aftermarket panel? Several options available with sockets and USB. Perhaps someone has found a better product than the Jeep OEM sockets?

Appreciate any ideas and pics.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've installed one of these to the driver's side outlet, and one of these to the passenger side outlet. The driver's side outlet is "always on," so I with with the USB charger there because it has a switch to power the LED light off when the car is off. The power to the passenger side outlet is switched with the car's electric so it is not always on. I have another couple of USB chargers I want to install, one in the rear of the center console and the other at the back for the kids to charge up and play their games with, and another standard outlet to replace the old one in the back, just havent gotten around to putting them in yet.

It was a pain in the neck to get the old outlets out. And once I had them out I had to grind out the holes more to fit the new outlets. Works great though and looks much nicer with the LEDs.

·
Administrator
7,320 Posts
My only power outlet that's has ever worked is lower right. Always on. I plugged a Dewalt inverter - nothing major. Single 120 plug and 2 USB plugs. Now it's dead. Checked all fuses, relays in all 3 locations. I probably need to pull front panel and replace sockets. But....

Has anyone installed an aftermarket panel? Several options available with sockets and USB. Perhaps someone has found a better product than the Jeep OEM sockets?

@JohnGault ;

I have not heard of anybody doing this in recent memory.

I have three 12 volt power outlets - 1 in the front driver's side, 1 in the front passenger's side & 1 in the rear hatch area on the Driver's side (possibly a 4th behind the console for people in the 2nd row seat but I'm not 100% sure about that one) but I have never had a problem with any of them;

Did you check all the fuses in the junction block?

Junction Block explained | Jeep Commander Forum

All of those 12V outlets have fuses in the junction block.

·
Registered
2008 Commander Sport 3.7L 2WD
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Wow!! HyperionAlpha. I like the outlets you used!!
We're you able to remove the OEM outlets without tearing console base and dash / rear trim apart?

Big Blue. Yes I finally got all OEM outlets powered with correct 20A fuses. I have a small Dewalt inverter I'd like to use for AC but the 20A fuses blow just by plugging in. I checked inverter on wife's Acura RL - no problems. I'm a bit leary upping fuse to 30A for fear of causing a bigger problem with my wiring.

I'm now considering adding an after-market 12v outlet fixture and mount under dash - and using an open circuit in fuse box.

Jamgoer 3 in 1 Multi-Functions Outlet Panel with Dual USB Car Charger Ports +Power Adaptor Socket +LED Voltmeter Combination 12V 24V Tent Type Panel for Marine Boat RV Truck…… https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0915B44P5/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_g_SMVMDYSV7MS535YCH41Y.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Well in order to get the original outlets out of the dash, you first need to remove that centre dash panel. There are some little tabs that seem to be holding the outlets in place, but they do not seem to have been made with a mind to allow you to remove it. They are so short and stubby that they are permanently set in place. I spent a lot of time with a clamp or a pair of channel locks and a screwdriver trying to break those tabs on the first one. The second one, I just got out my dremel and made short work of it. Once you have it removed you will almost certainly need to grind away at the hole that is left, it is very small, much smaller than any of the aftermarket sockets I have seen. I just had to sand it out maybe a quarter inch and they could fit through, no need to keep the hole perfectly round, the outlet just needs to fit through. There is a washer-like thing with screw treads that you screw together in the back that holds it in place, no need to use glue or anything else unless you really want to make it difficult to remove later.

And with it all in place it almost looks factory made. I guess I didn't really need the LED or volt meter (or the power switch), but it seemed like a nice look so I bought it. After putting it in, I have to confess that while driving, with the way the flap fits over the outlet, you can't really see it very well. You need to stoop your head down to read the volt meter, but my kids comment on it from the back seat all the time. And the blue LED inside the standard outlet makes it easier to see when reaching around at night, to air up a tire or whatever.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Commander Limited, 5.7 Hemi QD2
1,291 Posts
Reactions: JohnGault

·
Registered
2006 4.7 Standard
3 Posts

Hi. I went underneath to check those power fuses (both outlets long gone). At first the fuses looked good, but then I put them into heavy lighting and they were both blown, but not enough to be really visible. I replaced them both (pain in the butt) and everything is fine now. Just wanted to offer... JP.

·
Administrator
7,320 Posts
Hi. I went underneath to check those power fuses (both outlets long gone). At first the fuses looked good, but then I put them into heavy lighting and they were both blown, but not enough to be really visible. I replaced them both (pain in the butt) and everything is fine now. Just wanted to offer... JP.
@johnepennington ;

Please complete your user profile signature as directed;

Important New Member information, Forum requirements & Forum rules. | Jeep Commander Forum

This is my 2nd request, please take care of it.

If you need help, ask.

Thank you.

Big Blue; JC Forum Administrator

1 - 8 of 8 Posts