Jeep Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just some teaser photos. i had some extra tubing laying around, and was tired of not having anywhere to store my stuff.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
4.7 i like it....did you ever think about putting in on a pull out type system were you can slide it in and out for quick easy access???? either way sweet look....

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no, no functionality lost of the rear recline.

thats how i roll.

the box is exactly the same height as the 3rd row of seats. its going to bolt in where the rear seats bolt in. i'm trying to build it light so its easy to take out like the rear seats if i need to put the rear seats back in for family members riding along.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Maybe some diamond plate for the bottom? That would look sweet.

·
Registered
178 Posts

In my line of work, the "Good Idea Fairy" normally means something is going to suck big time. Thankfully in your line of work it gives us guys and gals something to spend our money on!

Keep up the great, fresh ideas!

Cheers,
O'C

·
Registered
887 Posts
4.7commander said:
no, no functionality lost of the rear recline.

thats how i roll.

the box is exactly the same height as the 3rd row of seats. its going to bolt in where the rear seats bolt in. i'm trying to build it light so its easy to take out like the rear seats if i need to put the rear seats back in for family members riding along.

I did not quite get this at first, then I went back and looked at the first picture - WOW. This is brilliant! You took out your rear seats to make the space. This would be a absolute must have in my family! The third row is a nice feature in my family but only used 1-2 times a month. This could be used every day!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
RedCommander said:
I'm sorry, but I don't understand how this is more functional than just placing your cargo in the cargo area.
Maybe not more functional, but it sure will look sweet!:D

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
young padawan, i will show you with my off road ways. i have not finished yet. just a teaser photo! i need to finish the sides and top. it will look very nice and organize my crap.

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
as i was in the shower this morning i had an epiphany.

since the frame of this thing is tubing, i can use it as an air tank as well. i'm going to add one more piece of tubing between the top and bottom, drill a hole on each side to connect them, then i will weld the new piece of tubing in and have a nice tank. i have a old air compressor from a Cadillac i'm going to try out as well. i just need to get some plumbing pieces. i'll mount the compressor in the open space between the storage and the side of the jeep.

heres what i still have to do-

-sides on the storage
-a bottom
-air compressor
-a lid that doubles as a floor that will match the stock rear seat height.
-some dividers inside the storage compartment
-then i'm going to pick up one of those shocks you use on a hatch back car

·
Premium Member
2,337 Posts
Dude, you're amazing and sick at the same time! You walk that fine line between genius and insanity very carefully.

·
Banned
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
okay, i just calculated the volume of the air my thing can hold.

prepared to be amazed.....

there is 242" of tubing.

the tubing is 1.5" with a wall thickness of .095, effectively making the inside dimension of the tubing 1.405".

so..

Cylinder
Volume = pr2 x height where p= pie

3.14(1.405^2)*242= 1500.78 cubic inches which comes out to.....

1 cubic foot

anyone know the math to figure out what 1 cubic foot of air at 140 psi, how many 32" tires that would fill, to 30 psi.

i'm thinking one tire.

·
Registered
40 Posts
How about just fitting an additional A/C compressor on the engine and using it to air the tires etc. Obviously there are a few write-ups about that one (in other Jeep forums of course). Working on it for my Cherokee. Hard part may be space restrictions and possible belt issues. Good part is that it doesn't necessarily require a tank - real time air :) . Of course I make it sound so easy.........

-Jared

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
I think I will put the Warn winch wiht the built in compressor on the bumper I get from 4.7

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I guess you could seal off two of the sides, or the bottom, for more volume. Great Idea.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts